-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  War Of The Worlds (2005)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: War Of The Worlds (2005)  (Read 5492 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »

I just bought the 2-disc DVD before seeing it; now I am wondering if I made a mistake.  Cry  I mean, it's good as a science fiction thriller, but when the end comes, everything winds down abruptly, and all that happened before seems inconsequential - like the only way it could end is with a Spielberg ending.  I don't know why I didn't see it coming right from the beginning that the main three, and even the pregnant ex-wife and her new husband, are whom you are forcibly absorbed with, secretly wishing at points that they would evaporate....BUT...you are convinced by the movie that only these ridiculously lucky uberhumans were all that mattered; all the thousands of other people were just fodder for deathrays.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »

I saw the movie in the theater and I really enjoyed it, but when we watched it on DVD it really wasnt the same. The rest of the movie (dvd) didnt make up for the lame ending.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:36:45 AM »

"War Of The Worlds" is a great great movie. Maybe even my favourite alien-invasion-movie. It was just time that someone makes such a film WITHOUT destroing the Statue Of Liberty, the White House or other famous signs. BUT, the ending sucks big time.

Spielberg seems to have always problems with the ending of his films. Watch "Catch Me If You Can" for example. Or "A.I.". He just doesnīt know how to end a film.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:06:43 AM »

There is an exception: "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial".  Probably one of the, if not greatest, iconic, emotional movie endings of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMS_EXmekc&search=Extra-Terrestrial
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:19:51 AM »

Eh...it was just okay... not something I'll want to see again....much....
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 07:36:13 AM »

There is an exception: "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial".  Probably one of the, if not greatest, iconic, emotional movie endings of all time.

Totally agree. Of course not all of his movies have bad endings, but I have the feeling that itīs getting worse. Itīs definately his weak point.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:56:54 AM »

I've always hated ET. Saw it as a little kid. Waited 20 years to see it again. Yep, still hated it.

Jaws....now there is a good Spielberg film! I watch it almost every week.

You go into the cage?
Cage goes in the water?
Shark in the water. Our shark.

Farewell and adieu to ye fair spanish ladies....
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:15:01 AM »

What about "Duell"? Itīs an early masterpiece, imo. I wished he would do more movies like this. Not everyone has to be a huge, expansive blockbuster.

P.S. And yes, I do get nervous whenever a truck drives behind me.  Grin

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:17:03 AM »

I just remembered "1941". One of the funniest movies ever. The scene where that guy tries to shoot with the canon on the submarine, but destroys his house and doesnīt notice it, THATīS a classic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: