gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:00:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Special Walmart Exclusive Product for C50  (Read 29008 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

Rather than drive all over town I called first.

Store #1: Black dude puts me on hold for 15 minutes, then comes back and says they don't have it.

Store #2: Indian lady puts me on hold for 10 minutes, then comes back and says something I don't understand but it sounds negative.

Store #3: Ah, a person who speaks plain english.

Is this satire?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

some interesting quotes from the booklet...

Brian:
"The world has been very good to us. Very good. I love the world because the world is somebody to sing to."

"We have a song called Shelter, and it's all about the things you can do in your shelter, like make love, make phone calls... you know. Another of my favorites is a song called The Private Life of Bill and Sue."

When did you start working on songs for the new album?
"I've been writing since 1998, so some of the songs on the album will come from arrangements and melodies I have been toying with over the years."

Do you ever see yourself not making music?
"I don't think that's possible. I hear melodies and music around me all the time. It's natural for me to play around with ideas even if they don't ever see the light of day."

Mike:
"Carl Wilson's soul is inescapable when it comes to the sound of the Beach Boys. Carl's voice takes me back to Studio 3 at Western every time I hear it on a recording."

first musical memory: Watching my cousin Brian singing Danny Boy on my grandmother Wilson's lap at a Christmas gathering.

tour hope: To pull off some great a capella tunes with the guys.

With Mike Love masterminding a different set list each night, he gave the following insight: "I like to create the mood for the night. I design the set list based on the venue and what I want the sound to be."

If I could trade places with anyone for one day, it would be: Justin Timberlake

Al:
"I wanted to start performing live together last year because I just want as many people to hear these harmonies as possible."

If I could trade places with anyone for one day, it would be: Katy Perry

Bruce:
"I really miss Carl singing 'God Only Knows' as the lead vocal. On this tour I want to try to have Mike and me sing his part, and maybe they can bring his voice in a bit so we can all sing his part."

"We should get Brad Paisley, Jimmy Buffett, and Kenny Chesney and do a remake with us of Kokomo. It would be number one for sure; it's the ultimate lineup!"

If I could trade places with anyone for one day, it would be: Obama
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:57:37 PM by bossaroo » Logged
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

Ah, a person who speaks plain english.

must have been an unusual part of the US
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

my mind is racing with what Al would do as Katy Perry for a day  Shocked
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

my mind is racing with what Al would do as Katy Perry for a day  Shocked

He wouldn't leave his room!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »

I suppose because we are a melting pot, here in the U.S. and Walmart hires and caters to all ethnicities. Probably what he meant. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »

Grrr.  No 'Zinepaks in Canadian walmarts.

Anyone care to help out a Canadian fan?  I have lots of goodies to trade or can paypal you the cash.  PM me please!  I'd really like to have this in the collection.  Thanks!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »

Can you order it online from Wal-Mart?  Or do they only ship to the US?  I've ordered from the Canadian Amazon a time or two.  Just an idea.  My Wal-Mart didn't have any copies so I ordered it online.

I think it's interesting that they specify only the postcards are a store exclusive.  I assume the other parts could show up elsewhere?
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

So Mike Love is masterminding the set lists....I guess that kinda makes sense why he was asking what we wanted to hear on his facebook page.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »

currently not in stock online, but here's the product listing on walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/20678933
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »

I suppose because we are a melting pot, here in the U.S. and Walmart hires and caters to all ethnicities. Probably what he meant. Wink

You are correct, sir.  Wink 

I was always told to show not tell when I share a story so I have to be descriptive. No offense meant to the fine people at Walmart.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »

I am mixed on the package. Brian clearly talked to the folks about 10 minutes and left -- everyone else (especially Mike) is quoted at much greater length.

The package is generally tastefully designed, heavy on the fun/sun, light on the Pet Sounds-Smile stuff. Given the lineup, though, I guess this is inevitable.

Mike says at one point he's obsessed with making this album a number one record -- which certainly explains some things!

I do think that in some ways not making Brian the focus of this reunion has been a wise move. They depended on him to make the record, but the other guys are carrying the weight of the promotion and touring. It's actually a familiar concept, even if that means we have to listen to Mike drone on about positivity. (I find myself softening on him, by the way. He does have an outlook, and that fun music is pretty damned timeless.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:20:34 PM by Wirestone » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »

it seems to be aimed at mainstream America, aka Walmart customers. country music and Katy Perry are mentioned multiple times, and the CD is safe and predictable. the Career Timeline is a little ridiculous as well:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »

it seems to be aimed at mainstream America, aka Walmart customers. country music and Katy Perry are mentioned multiple times, and the CD is safe and predictable. the Career Timeline is a little ridiculous as well:

When have The Beach Boys been anything but that in the past, what, 30 years or so? The safety and predictability is what continues to draw fans to the shows and numerous Greatest Hits packages that have been drawn from the same well of songs more or less since 1974.

For other fans who are drawn to the band for other reasons, I guess we got the Hawthorne disc and the Smile box set to satisfy the unpredictability thing... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »

Bruce:
"We should get Brad Paisley, Jimmy Buffett, and Kenny Chesney and do a remake with us of Kokomo. It would be number one for sure; it's the ultimate lineup!"

That sounds like a winner.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »

I like Bruce and I think he is very talented and the Beach Boys are lucky he joined but he has terrible ideas.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

Do these interviews have a date?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

I like Bruce and I think he is very talented and the Beach Boys are lucky he joined but he has terrible ideas.
+1

- B00ts
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »

I picked up my limited edition CD at Walmart tonight. At the entrance, I jumped over a wad of used gum on the floor, almost slipped on a fresh loogie, took a wiff of popcorn, and after squeezing by a 300 pound obese woman, got a clear shot and made a straight beline for the CD section. There weren't any CD's in the 'Beach Boys' section so I asked the 'mature' Asian sales lady if she had any, and she took me around the corner and showed me the CD's - they only had three. Sold to the minority white guy in aisle 14!! As I stared at the cover, she asked me about the music on it. She didn't recognize the songs but had heard of the Beach Boys before. Give that lady a dollar raise! Ooooooo........what a lucky man........I am!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:52:42 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »

So does "Do It Again" fade out like in the original recording or does it have a proper ending like in the 2011 video?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

I went to walmart after work tonight and they had a section for The Beach Boys that had a bunch of Beastie Boys and other 'B' artists in it. Wandered around the music section for like 5 minutes looking for it and didn't see ANYTHING. Didn't really have the money for it anyway, I just wanted to see it with my own eyes.

Is DIA better quality than the YouTube one? Is it louder?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »

So does "Do It Again" fade out like in the original recording or does it have a proper ending like in the 2011 video?
Proper ending, shorter intro.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »

You mean this package isn't targeted specifically at the likes of us ? Outrage !  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »

i'm not outraged. this thing is exclusive to Walmart. the demographic is obvious.

i still find it remarkable that they chose the appearance of Surfin USA in the movie Teen Wolf and the release of Stars & Stripes as two of their 20 biggest career milestones.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »

i still find it remarkable that they chose the appearance of Surfin USA in the movie Teen Wolf and the release of Stars & Stripes as two of their 20 biggest career milestones.
I also found that odd!  Also, what was Al thinking when he said that he'd want to be Katy Perry for a day??  Cheesy  Otherwise, a very nice commemorative package, and nice they put DIA12 on there!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx