gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680879 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:13:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Play devils advocate. Is Brian Wilson NOT a musical genius?  (Read 17851 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »

A quick follow up thought that I think is worth mentioning. Brian employs the same technique on each song. This is the "modular" approach that he was aiming for. Songs that were each mini-cycles. That's why it's so genius. It's truly self reflexive.

Also keep in mind how this principle comes organically, logically from his style. From the wall of sound style. The wall of sound is based around "combining" instruments into a single, unified, new instrument. Don't you think it's clever how he builds up from that? He starts off uniting separate instruments together, then separate sections of one song, then many songs into "movements" or parts of a cycle. Just like how cells in the body form tissues and those form organs and so on. He grows his sound, his style, out from the smallest part and forms an organic, intelligent stylistic whole.

You know, I don't care what anyone says. That's something special.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:41:43 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

great posts Fishmonk

I think we are all right in different ways - maybe that's another indicator of (his) genius Smiley

I think there's another basic component no-one's mentioned yet:  your peers - if contemporaries who are themselves at the top of their game are in awe of you its another strong indicator that you are something very special

some fun indicators of genius:
1 - McCenroe - impossible slice
2 - Georgie Best - imposible dribble
3 - Brian Wilson - ultra-spook fade to Vega-tables - hey its art so has to be defined differently to sport Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx