gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:42:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Mojo – free CD, Pet Sounds Revisited, BBs cover, 22-page feature!  (Read 15169 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

I'm excited to see/hear this. Specifically Gaz's track: I always liked Supergrass, and heard shades of a BW influence in some of their melodies and chords...I guess he is a fan after all! This will be neat if I can find the issue.

There was a "Supergrass' Record Collection" article in Q magazine in about 1995 where they chose Friends as one of their ten favourite albums, and mentioned that they used (or wanted to use? This was 17 years ago I read this...) Meant For You as a walk-on track for their shows.

Very cool, I did not know that! In 1995 I was financially limited with the magazines I could afford to buy, so I definitely wouldn't have seen that in Q. Grin  "In It For The Money" is a terrific disc, because of this thread I'll be spinning it this weekend for sure. Smiley

Yeah that is a great album. The next one was pretty good too. This Gaz Combes cover is excellent, and sounds very Supergrass. Surprisingly one of my least favourite is the Tim Burgess Don't Talk cover. I like a lot of his Charlatans stuff, but he misses some notes here and it just doesn't work for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »

The Flaming Lips - God Only Knows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0EXBW623Q

Hmm, GOK as a song doesn't really seem to fit the Lips style. Almost sounds like the original recording filtered through a "generic Lips sound" channel. Lazy. What do you think?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »

i guess i'll just check barnes and noble every so often.  I remember walking in the store and randomly saw the smile issue with the single just sitting there.  this was a few weeks after
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 05:53:52 AM »

also the street date for this is april 24, so we won't see it in the states for a week or two i'd imagine.  A couple websites sell magazines individually, i think i'll do that. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:07:02 AM by Runaways » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »

I'm excited to see/hear this. Specifically Gaz's track: I always liked Supergrass, and heard shades of a BW influence in some of their melodies and chords...I guess he is a fan after all! This will be neat if I can find the issue.

There was a "Supergrass' Record Collection" article in Q magazine in about 1995 where they chose Friends as one of their ten favourite albums, and mentioned that they used (or wanted to use? This was 17 years ago I read this...) Meant For You as a walk-on track for their shows.

Very cool, I did not know that! In 1995 I was financially limited with the magazines I could afford to buy, so I definitely wouldn't have seen that in Q. Grin  "In It For The Money" is a terrific disc, because of this thread I'll be spinning it this weekend for sure. Smiley

Yeah that is a great album. The next one was pretty good too. This Gaz Combes cover is excellent, and sounds very Supergrass. Surprisingly one of my least favourite is the Tim Burgess Don't Talk cover. I like a lot of his Charlatans stuff, but he misses some notes here and it just doesn't work for me.

I've lost touch with Supergrass, it will be good to hear something new with this Gaz track, as soon as I can get it. That music at the time it came out was fantastic - great songs, great beats, fantastic guitar sounds. I miss them quite a bit, but those albums will always hold up. A friend-of-a-friend told a story of seeing them walking down Newbury Street on what was probably one of their first tours to Boston, and he recognized them, made contact with them, and took them shopping to some of the hipster clothing places like John Fluevog Shoes and hung out with them for an afternoon. That was before they'd be more recognized here through MTV and all of that. They were young guys, it's easy to forget as time goes past.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »

I've lost touch with Supergrass, it will be good to hear something new with this Gaz track, as soon as I can get it. That music at the time it came out was fantastic - great songs, great beats, fantastic guitar sounds. I miss them quite a bit, but those albums will always hold up. A friend-of-a-friend told a story of seeing them walking down Newbury Street on what was probably one of their first tours to Boston, and he recognized them, made contact with them, and took them shopping to some of the hipster clothing places like John Fluevog Shoes and hung out with them for an afternoon. That was before they'd be more recognized here through MTV and all of that. They were young guys, it's easy to forget as time goes past.

Great story! I was listening to some of the albums today. The 2nd and 3rd are my favourites - the 3rd in particular has some beautiful songs. I think they really had it nailed at that point.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

The Flaming Lips - God Only Knows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0EXBW623Q

Hmm, GOK as a song doesn't really seem to fit the Lips style. Almost sounds like the original recording filtered through a "generic Lips sound" channel. Lazy. What do you think?

I like it. I think they're feeling it, although it's maybe not as creative as some of the other covers.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »

Can't wait for this! Mojo is such a fantastic music magazine. For those who've never read 'em, i'd strongly recommend the features they'd done previously on Smile, Holland and Dennis (complete with a great anecdote about Dennis pretending to be a worker and scaling the World Trade Centre framework while it was still in construction).
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

Saint Etiennes and Magnetic North, I both found very ho-hum and boring. The Jeffrey Lewis (w/ Wooden Wand and Janet Simpson of Delicate Cutters) cover of IWftD felt cluttered and thrown together in a very lazy fashion (thought I thought the juxtaposition of the casual song and the wiki bio about Brian and Pet Sounds was an interesting idea).  For me GOK, IKtAA, and Pet Sounds are the real standout tracks. Overall I think it is a really fitting tribute.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »

If anyone across the Pond wants to set up a trade - a Mojo with CD for a Walmart zinepak with CD - drop me a PM.

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »

Can't wait to hear the Gaz Combes cover. Supergrass were always by far my favourite britpop band (much as they hated the britpop label themselves). I didn't know they were BB fans - that's very pleasing to learn.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »

pixeltwin aren't you in utah?  they had an issue there? *or did you use other means*  police
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

pixeltwin aren't you in utah?  they had an issue there? *or did you use other means*  police

Other means.  angel
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »

All very good , but not had chance to read the mag yet ( just got it )

Must say though that my mates version of 'Lets go away for while' really should have been on there  Roll Eyes

Yep Sean Macreavys version with lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHspcnTZIZE
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

If anyone across the Pond wants to set up a trade - a Mojo with CD for a Walmart zinepak with CD - drop me a PM.

Will consider it. There's one that's a bit out of the way for me. Will call them and if they have it, will try to pick up 2 (one for me, one for you sometime around Sunday-Tuesday
Paulos
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »

Picked this up today, not had a chance ot listen to the CD yet and have only had a quick skim through the Beach Boys article - the Blondie Chaplin piece is very interesting and probably explains why he is not involved with the 50th.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »

Picked this up today, not had a chance ot listen to the CD yet and have only had a quick skim through the Beach Boys article - the Blondie Chaplin piece is very interesting and probably explains why he is not involved with the 50th.
What did he say?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

Will consider it. There's one that's a bit out of the way for me. Will call them and if they have it, will try to pick up 2 (one for me, one for you sometime around Sunday-Tuesday

That's mighty wonderful. Check your PMs... and thanks!

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »

So who's read the 'Top 50 Beach Boys songs of all time' feature yet? I've got a few issues, namely:

Every single Pet Sounds track in the top 50? Yes it's their seminal album, but this shows a somewhat limited imagination doesn't it, especially as...

There's NO tracks from side two of Today! included, at all. No Please Let Me Wonder. No Kiss Me Baby. No She Knows Me Too Well. Are these list compilers even Beach Boy fans??

According to this list, the best track on Sunflower is.... Tears In The Morning. It ranks higher than Cool Cool Water and Forever (This Whole World doesn't feature at all!)

Dennis is utterly sidelined - he only just manages a single track in the top 40 (bearing in mind Bruce has two!!)

A very unusual list then, which somehow manages to be surprising but unimaginative at the same time. Still, it's still great to see such a big feature on the BB's in such a highly regarded music magazine, and on the cover too (pity Brian's face has been weirdly-photoshopped though).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:18 AM »

For those who don't have access to the magazine, the Top 50 reads thus:

1. SURF'S UP
2. GOOD VIBRATIONS
3. GOD ONLY KNOWS
4. CALIFORNIA GIRLS
5. TIL I DIE
6. CAROLINE, NO
7. HEROES & VILLAINS
8. DON'T TALK
9. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
10. I GET AROUND
11. CABINESSENCE
12. FEEL FLOWS
13. I JUST WASN'T MADE...
14. YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME
15. DON'T WORRY BABY
16. SAIL ON SAILOR
17. LET'S GO AWAY FOR AWHILE
18. SURFER GIRL
19. IN MY ROOM
20. I KNOW THERE'S AN ANSWER
21. DO YOU LIKE WORMS?
22. OUR PRAYER
23. I'M WAITING FOR THE DAY
24. PET SOUNDS
25. FUN FUN FUN
26. THE WARMTH OF THE SUN
27. SURFIN' USA
28. DISNEY GIRLS
29. DARLIN'
30. HERE TODAY
31. I CAN HEAR MUSIC
32. YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME
33. BREAK AWAY
34. BARBARA ANN
35. ALL SUMMER LONG
36. TEARS IN THE MORNING
37. SLOOP JOHN B
38. COOL, COOL WATER
39. WHEN I GROW UP
40. CUDDLE UP
41. LONG PROMISED ROAD
42. LET HIM RUN WILD
43. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
44. THAT'S NOT ME
45. WILD HONEY
46. DO IT AGAIN
47. VEGE-TABLES
48. HELP ME RHONDA
49. WIND CHIMES (Smiley Smile version)
50. FOREVER
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

WTF is going on with "I'm Waiting For The Day" on this CD? 

Everything else has been really great.  I'll be listening to this often.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »

Yeah. The idea is interesting but it is just a jumbled mess.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

HA pixel...I just read your post above and saw that you mentioned that it was Brian's Wiki page they were reading and that's EXACTLY what I thought it was when I first heard it.  Yeah some of it was off key and just like "EH, where's the skip button?"  Such a great song wasted....

Great thing about CDs like this is that it makes you appreciate the original songs even more and if the covers are done right-- it makes you look into the artist that covered it.  Totally digging "Let's Go Away For Awhile."  Might have to look into the Neil Cowley Trio now....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »

Yeah I think Lets Go Away and Pet Sounds are my two favorites - the instrumentals no less!  LOL
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

Why does Brian's face look a little off in that pic?  For a second, it seems Photoshopped...

It looks off because the light and shading on Brian's face is going in a different direction than everybody elses'. Seriously Photoshopped! LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx