gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680882 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:44:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any one come across this book?  (Read 1817 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:34 AM »

Brian Wilson (Icons of Pop Music) by Kirk Curnutt.

Not cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Wilson-Icons-Pop-Music/dp/190804991X/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334835987&sr=1-10

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »

Never heard of it. Just came out, it seems. Author's a prof. That's not always a good thing with music books. Someone order this already, read it and report back. Then we'll know if it's any good. Come on, folks!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »

The paperback's more affordable, just noticed.

S'my birthday on Saturday; I'll put it on my present list…

“We live in divisive times.”
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »

I have the Velvet Underground one in these series - grabbed it as it is written by Richard Witts, and his book on Nico is one of my favorites. Well - his VU one was not of the kind, but rather something for scholars. It's not that I can't recommend it, but it seems to me that these series by Equinox are for people who have all the other books.
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »

Hey guys:

This is actually my book. Zaval is right that other entries in the series are too specialized for non-academics, which is a shame bc I think the books offer an opportunity to some things the 33-1/3 series is too loosey-goosey to allow. (I find some of the 33-1/3s incredibly self-indulgent). Among the Icons of Pop there's a Bob Dylan one that's pretty accessible, as is the Buddy Holly. The Elvis Costello and Bjork pretty much require a musical theoretician; they make Phil Lambert's book read like Dick & Jane. Have no clue about the James Brown, but I'm giving it a shot.

I tried to do mine to appeal to fans, so I hope some will give it a go. I would say if Jim Fusilli's 33 1/3 book on PS didn't send you scattering, mine's not any more scholarly than that. There's a section on lyrics that tries to talk about various themes, not the least of which is what makes a "dumb" one. The music section talks about gender issues associated with Brian's falsetto and what makes the BB sound "white," among other ideas I've pondered for a long time. Inevitably, my interpretations are mine, but I hope I added something to the BW discussion. I do apologize about the price---in the States there was supposed to be a $15 paperback distributed by Indiana UP, but it and Equinox dissolved their partnership after I turned the ms. in. I begged Equinox to keep it cheap, but academic presses aim for library and textbook sales. Anyway, thanks for the mention.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

Thanks for the details,  I'll have to to pick up a copy!

Hopefully nobody will give you a hard time about kerneling in the footnotes or something!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:17:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

Hey guys:

This is actually my book. Zaval is right that other entries in the series are too specialized for non-academics, which is a shame bc I think the books offer an opportunity to some things the 33-1/3 series is too loosey-goosey to allow. (I find some of the 33-1/3s incredibly self-indulgent). Among the Icons of Pop there's a Bob Dylan one that's pretty accessible, as is the Buddy Holly. The Elvis Costello and Bjork pretty much require a musical theoretician; they make Phil Lambert's book read like Dick & Jane. Have no clue about the James Brown, but I'm giving it a shot.

I tried to do mine to appeal to fans, so I hope some will give it a go. I would say if Jim Fusilli's 33 1/3 book on PS didn't send you scattering, mine's not any more scholarly than that. There's a section on lyrics that tries to talk about various themes, not the least of which is what makes a "dumb" one. The music section talks about gender issues associated with Brian's falsetto and what makes the BB sound "white," among other ideas I've pondered for a long time. Inevitably, my interpretations are mine, but I hope I added something to the BW discussion. I do apologize about the price---in the States there was supposed to be a $15 paperback distributed by Indiana UP, but it and Equinox dissolved their partnership after I turned the ms. in. I begged Equinox to keep it cheap, but academic presses aim for library and textbook sales. Anyway, thanks for the mention.
Always nice to hear from the author.  Smiley
Will pick it up if I ever come across a reasonably priced copy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx