gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:44:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson Phillips "Dedicated" debuted at 29 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart  (Read 3963 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSJvPZxO8xo

I hope the beach boys new album can compete with this and do better.

GO Wilson Phillips. Nice job !! Rock!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:39:45 PM by Dutchie » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »

That is pretty cool. I'm thinking the fact that they have a reality show currently airing on cable TV has boosted sales quite a bit.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »

That is pretty cool. I'm thinking the fact that they have a reality show currently airing on cable TV has boosted sales quite a bit.

No kidding? Didn't expect that. How many did it sell, though? BTW, anybody watching the show?  Cameos by Marilyn and Diane last night.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:37:36 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

Their choice of robot voice on good vibrations was interesting
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »

I haven’t listened to the entire album, but apart from a lot of modern Top 40 radio now which overuses autotune as a vocal effect, I unfortunately would have to say this new Wilson Phillips album has the heaviest and most heinous use of autotune I’ve heard in some time. It’s of course more frustrating given that everything suggests they can totally sing on their own without use of autotune. They aren’t using it as an effect (and if they are, it’s annoying in that regard).

Wilson Phillips are still one of the cool acts out there, so I hate saying that if I had to try to demonstrate to somebody what autotune sounds like, I’d probably use this album.

It’s even more frustrating on top of everything else because, while another covers album isn’t terribly inspired, it’s still interesting to hear them cover BB songs.

Not too long ago I picked up their previous covers album “California”, and it has pretty excessive autotune going on as well. It didn’t seem as prevalent on their X-Mas album from a couple years ago, but I haven’t tracked that one in awhile.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:47:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

I listened to the whole CD about 2 weeks ago.  My Mom was watching QVC when they were on and bought one for herself!  There's a review by someone that I glanced over elsewhere on this board and he pretty much got it right. I'll put my 2 cents in later. Meanwhile..........

Wendy Wilson is one hot tomato, eh?    She is one good lookin' cutie, I'm tellin' ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvh5x3YrmRE&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:16:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

No kidding? Didn't expect that. How many did it sell, though? BTW, anybody watching the show?  Cameos by Marilyn and Diane last night.

Yeah, no kidding. It was very shocking to have the release of a new album timed to match the airing of a new reality show.   Smiley

Getting back to reality, I can't watch the show as broadcast because I don't think I can get that channel. But if it's available On Demand or somewhere else I'd like to at least see one episode.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »

I was watching their reality show - the first episode - and there was a scene in which the three girls were looking at photos from a photoshoot for their album. Carnie was flipping through the photos on her laptop and one of the photos I could see was the three of them feeding goats, parodying the Pet Sounds cover. Did that photo make the CD booklet or the web?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »

No kidding? Didn't expect that. How many did it sell, though? BTW, anybody watching the show?  Cameos by Marilyn and Diane last night.

Yeah, no kidding. It was very shocking to have the release of a new album timed to match the airing of a new reality show.   Smiley

Getting back to reality, I can't watch the show as broadcast because I don't think I can get that channel. But if it's available On Demand or somewhere else I'd like to at least see one episode.

Funny.  I did not expect the album to hit the top 30 regardless of their reality show especially since, as you say, many don't even get the channel. Typical Philly fan...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:22:15 PM by southbay » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »

No kidding? Didn't expect that. How many did it sell, though? BTW, anybody watching the show?  Cameos by Marilyn and Diane last night.

Yeah, no kidding. It was very shocking to have the release of a new album timed to match the airing of a new reality show.   Smiley

Funny.  I did not expect the album to hit the top 30 regardless of their reality show especially since, as you say, many don't even get the channel. Typical Philly fan...

The reality shows involving celebrities and especially musicians seem to be one of the best marketing tools to re-energize sales for an artist who hasn't been on the charts for years. I think there is quite a competition to get artists like Wilson Phillips or Debbie Gibson or name any other star on these shows into such a program because it puts their name in front of their fans, then word spreads to others and a new Wilson Phillips album may have, say 40% more sales in a first week than it would have had without a reality show.

So even if the show draws a relatively small audience, like 150,000 people or so - the fact that thousands of those fans may buy a new album would be enough to push it up the top-200 charts into a decent position.

I say this having no idea what the actual number were on this disc and having not seen the show. Cheesy

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »

I was watching their reality show - the first episode - and there was a scene in which the three girls were looking at photos from a photoshoot for their album. Carnie was flipping through the photos on her laptop and one of the photos I could see was the three of them feeding goats, parodying the Pet Sounds cover. Did that photo make the CD booklet or the web?
Yes, that shot did make it into the CD booklet.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YdkQWN59HY

Music video for Good Vibrations. Carnie sounds absolutely HORRIFYING on "I'm pickin' up good vibrations"

The rest of the song is good, but she sounds like robot Hannah Montana during that part.

No mas, por favor.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Music video for Good Vibrations. Carnie sounds absolutely HORRIFYING on "I'm pickin' up good vibrations"

The rest of the song is good, but she sounds like robot Hannah Montana during that part.

Matt Jardine in the backing band

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »

Was that actual humans singing that song?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »

I love "ICHM" but WTF IS UP WITH GV?!?!?!

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »

Yeah I can't believe they would put something out like that - I get that "Good Vibrations" has a wide range of vocal parts, but there must have been a better way to arrange it that would at least make them sound human.  Cool (and ambitious) concept, less-than-good execution.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »

To chart that high, it had to sell all of about 25,000/30,000 units.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:56 AM »

This makes them look like entitled ex-little girls living off their daddies' fame.  They almost rose above that early in their careers because they at least co-wrote some of their songs.  Now, they're not even singing the songs, they're robotically phoning them in, and doing really bad versions of their parents' work.  They should be ashamed of this new record instead of promoting it.  Bad stuff.  Carnie sounds like a man on GV, or a male robot. 
Paulos
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

Oh great Odin's raven, that was frigging awful! Interesting arrangement but the robotic vocals are shocking.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:36 AM »

Oh great Odin's raven, that was frigging awful! Interesting arrangement but the robotic vocals are shocking.

Holy.Mother.Of.Christ. Did they accidently put Carnies and Mike's original vocal together through a Spectrum ZX?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:51 AM »

Listened to the album. ICHM is fine, but apart from that it is mostly complete sh*t. How GV made the cut I cannot even begin to imagine.
And ye they are VERY clearly living off the legacy of their great forbearers. The song selection is completly inconsistent as well...

Keyword: Pathetic
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »

To chart that high, it had to sell all of about 25,000/30,000 units.

That's what I was thinking - take a percentage of a relatively small audience due the channel broadcasting the show being somewhat obscure, take about 30-40 percent of that audience who would automatically buy the record as WP fans, and that sales number would make sense.

You have to consider the demographic of the audience watching the WP show apart from the Beach Boys element. These are most likely women with disposable income and living a bit above the average salary level, assuming they are around the same age as the Wilson sisters and grew up with them, and can actually afford the upper-tier cable channel packages which feature that channel. Unless I'm, like, completely out of touch or something...and I don't get that channel.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »

Typical Philly fan...

Phillies 5, Giants 2. Halladay: W, Lincecum: L.

(You know I'm just having fun with this and most of what I say, nothing more... Cheesy)

Now, so I don't get chastised again by bgas for going off-topic, back to discussing Wilson Phillips. Wink

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »

Typical Philly fan...

(You know I'm just having fun with this and most of what I say, nothing more... Cheesy)

Now, so I don't get chastised again by bgas for going off-topic, back to discussing Wilson Phillips. Wink

Thanxx man

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 09:01:06 AM »

Typical Philly fan...

Yeah, Lincecum looked not so good again, esp. considering Philly was down both Howard and Utley in that lineup.  Back to WP , I thought Cole Hamels was way under utilized on the new album.  Next to Wendy, he's the prettiest one in the group.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx