-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Star Wars
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 10238 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »

Goofy stuff? The Cantina band, the horrific dialogue, Mark Hamill's cracking voice, Han yelling "Yee-ha!" on his surprise reappearance at the end...in my case, it was probably a "crisis of expectation"...I expected what I saw in the trailer, a serious movie, and it was this romp instead. I was a big science fiction fan, and suddenly Star Wars comes out, and everyone thinks that's what science fiction is. It certainly wasn't what I liked about SF--it was closer to the Flash Gordon/serial stuff, which I was never into. A similar thing happened when that horrible "western" movie came out that Kasdan wrote, and suddenly everyone said they loved westerns; to me, that movie was only a movie for the first 20 minutes, then it becomes an endless, quick-cut action chase...but I digress...

Nope, didn't like "Dune" either. I couldn't get a handle on it at all!

I see what people like about Star Wars, but that was probably the point--1977--at which I began to diverge from popular taste. I can't get into the sensory-overload/MTV-cut world people are buying. It does nothing for me, whereas good story still does, and always will. It drives me crazy when a story starts off good, then just goes apemerda (yeah, I'm talking to you, "The Incredibles"! And your little friends too!)

"Empire Strikes Back" has a lot more of the tone the original trailer had, but it was always kind of a cliffhanger middle-child for me.

I'm rambling. And I have to ramble...off to work, that is...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

I liked episodes 4-6 but 1 sucked and 2 was just ok 3 was really cool,The clone wars stuff is crap IMO too..Lucus likes to just re-do the same stuff over and over and over again,we may never get episodes 7-9 because he's getting old and may die before getting to them...Recently I have been getting into star trek more..

I love the JJ Abrams reboot.

What is you guy's take on JJ Abrams directing Star Wars Episode VII??

Personally I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't read too much about what the stories will most likely be for this trilogy (I doubt they're going to recast the iconic Fisher, Ford, Hamill team), but hopefully they'll do justice to the prior films.

Also, there are supposed to be two films made about Boba Fett and Han Solo that take place before A New Hope.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »

I liked episodes 4-6 but 1 sucked and 2 was just ok 3 was really cool,The clone wars stuff is crap IMO too..Lucus likes to just re-do the same stuff over and over and over again,we may never get episodes 7-9 because he's getting old and may die before getting to them...Recently I have been getting into star trek more..

I love the JJ Abrams reboot.

What is you guy's take on JJ Abrams directing Star Wars Episode VII??

Personally I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't read too much about what the stories will most likely be for this trilogy (I doubt they're going to recast the iconic Fisher, Ford, Hamill team), but hopefully they'll do justice to the prior films.

Also, there are supposed to be two films made about Boba Fett and Han Solo that take place before A New Hope.

If Disney leaves Abrams alone and lets him do his thing, Star Wars 7 could be at the very least an improvement over the prequels. A Han Solo movie sounds like it could be cool, but Fett needs to permanently disappear from public consciousness.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »

Forget about STAR WARS my friends. It has zero depth and helped ruin mainstream Hollywood. STAR TREK is where it's at! See the new movie this May.

BTW- President Obama seems to be a fan of both. "Jedi mind-meld"Huh
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »

I'm a former Star Wars geek who still enjoys the originals, but I can't say I'm too excited about the sequel trilogy. Number one, the Zahn books were all I needed. Number two, everything was wrapped up nicely. Who really wants to see Luke and Leia's kids off saving the galaxy from some "bigger, badder threat?" I'll be happy to be wrong, but right now I have little interest in it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: