gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:31:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have some questions about Jan & Dean  (Read 5026 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »

Firstly.... Save For A Rainy Day - Why is it so lo-fi? Listening to it, and I understand it was recorded in a garage, but then Smiley Smile was recorded in a house. Was the entire thing recorded there, strings and all? Why are the tracks so muted and the vocals pretty clear?

Also, why are there two instrumental tracks for Yellow Balloon? I have The Yellow Balloon's album, and it seems their track for it is again different to both J&D versions. What's the deal?

My friend leant me a copy of Carnival of Sound (i've given it back now, didn't think to look at the liners!), and doing some digging round the net it turns out they don't sing on it? It just gives a stupendous list of people who have, with no order. Who does, and on what?

Also, for a second I thought he had recorded Only A Boy whilst he was suffering from brain damage, but it appears not. What was he thinking? In 1966!

And how good is Girl, You're Blowing My Mind?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »

All the instrumental tracks for SFARD were mixed down to one mono track, and the vocals overdubbed on top in stereo, then mixed down again to mono. I think there were bouncedowns for overdubs as well on the instrumental tracks. What was left was a very primitive musical sound. A shame, as one can hear from the stereo backing track mixes on the Sundazed set that the instruments were well-recorded at the source.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »

Neither of those albums are very representative of Jan & Dean, and they appeared after the main songwriter and producer and singer was all but killed in a car accident.
To me, Dean's album (SFARD) is totally unique and, though I really love it, completely separate from anything he and Jan ever did. I think the record is a nice, personal little statement that turned out really amazing.

Carnival of Sound is Jan's first attempt at a comeback after his accident (I think he was working on it less than a year after his coma) and his ability to communicate verbally was extremely compromised, and for many complicated reasons he and Dean were on the outs, so Jan got guys like Ron Hicklin and Glen Campbell to sing the parts. The music was put together by Jan and Hal Blaine and maybe Don Altfeld so it really had that classic J&D sound (now with sitar!) but really lacks any emotion without either of the guys singing. Girl, You're Blowin' My Mind  is stone-classic though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:23:17 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »

You say that neither of those records are representative of the Jan & Dean 'sound', but I don't think I LIKE the normal J&D thing. Too lightweight. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena makes me want to shoot myself. As does Surf City, Brian or no. And Dean's got a really bad sounding falsetto. And they seem so hollow and pandering. Like, what's famous today? Folk Music? Lets release an album called Folk & Roll with a song called Folk City on it. I mean, there's a reason pop music didn't take albums seriously until 1967. (although I'm listening to Folk & Roll right now. It's fluff, but it's not dreadful)

So it would make obvious sense that I like two of their records without a) that falsetto and b) with a better concept well implemented. Although it's weird, I was expecting Carnival Of Sound to be, whilst not Smile, a fairly cool selection of psych tunes. It's about half that. Then you have the jaw-dropping Only A Boy and then doo-wop covers? Does that make it more psychedelic? Or just a mess....?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »

Well, Dean's falsetto is rarely on any of the post '63 hits (that was either Vic from the Matadors or one of the Fantastic Baggys) so I wonder who's voice you don't like...Dean's falsetto is pretty lame, though(Barbara Ann anyone?).

I won't get into J&D's sound or musical ethic too much other than to say if you are trying to compare it to the BB you will always be disappointed. They were college guys who had some good contacts and made fun records that captured the feel of their world ('60's LA studio world) and then the main guy had his brains smashed in. Of course the story is more compelling then that, but unless you read a bio about them you are unlikely to change your mind.

Lastly, the early BB sound was a direct (and lame) attempt to do the J&D sound, and it wasn't until AFTER Jan and BW hung out that the BB records started sounding thought out. Jan was a great producer and really understood how to get what he wanted.

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »

You say that neither of those records are representative of the Jan & Dean 'sound', but I don't think I LIKE the normal J&D thing. Too lightweight. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena makes me want to shoot myself. As does Surf City, Brian or no. And Dean's got a really bad sounding falsetto. And they seem so hollow and pandering. Like, what's famous today? Folk Music? Lets release an album called Folk & Roll with a song called Folk City on it. I mean, there's a reason pop music didn't take albums seriously until 1967. (although I'm listening to Folk & Roll right now. It's fluff, but it's not dreadful)

So it would make obvious sense that I like two of their records without a) that falsetto and b) with a better concept well implemented. Although it's weird, I was expecting Carnival Of Sound to be, whilst not Smile, a fairly cool selection of psych tunes. It's about half that. Then you have the jaw-dropping Only A Boy and then doo-wop covers? Does that make it more psychedelic? Or just a mess....?

I'm with you here, for the most part. Most of the Jan and Dean stuff doesn't hold up to many repeated listens, although I do like it. I think my issue with it does mostly come down to Dean's voice, it's just not particularly good. However, I totally dig Carnival of Sound. Even the stuff like the doo-wop covers is still pretty enjoyable. Girl, You're Blowing My Mind is amazing. When I first got the Rhino release of the album a few years ago, I listened to that song in my car almost constantly.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »

The only song by J&D that I really like is "Gonna Hustle You" as released by the Legendary Masked Surfers -- that backing track is monstrous and I even think the singing is good for the kind of "excited, horny schoolboy" thing going on, haha. Too bad that version is impossible to find (and "The New Girl in School" is awful)!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.................apparently Jan and Dean are highly underrated in these parts. Didn't use to be that way.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

The only song by J&D that I really like is "Gonna Hustle You" as released by the Legendary Masked Surfers -- that backing track is monstrous and I even think the singing is good for the kind of "excited, horny schoolboy" thing going on, haha. Too bad that version is impossible to find (and "The New Girl in School" is awful)!
Truly amazed! This song has a great arrangement, great drums and great background vocals. It is probably my favorite J&D tune. It is so wonderful to know that my taste is so awful. Wink I like all three versions of this tune, but the 4th version by Dean and the LMS is my favorite go to ...Hustle You version.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:08:43 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »

I guess these younger fans are having a harder time with the J&D stuff. The only artists I listen to more than J&D are the BB and Nick Lowe. In fact, I think I got into J&D slightly before the BB in the early eighties, so they've always been great for me!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

I guess these younger fans are having a harder time with the J&D stuff. The only artists I listen to more than J&D are the BB and Nick Lowe. In fact, I think I got into J&D slightly before the BB in the early eighties, so they've always been great for me!

Same here, I thought J&D were boss way before I could deal with the Beach Boys.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »

Truly amazed! This song has a great arrangement, great drums and great background vocals. It is probably my favorite J&D tune. It is so wonderful to know that my taste is so awful. Wink I like all three versions of this tune, but the 4th version by Dean and the LMS is my favorite go to ...Hustle You version.

I love "New Girl In School."  I never knew about the Jan and Dean version at first, I knew it as that catchy tune in the Monkees episode with Bobby Sherman.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:14:50 AM »

Was their version of "Barbara Ann" ever released on one of their albums or as a single even? Or did it only find its way onto latter-day compilations?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »

Was their version of "Barbara Ann" ever released on one of their albums or as a single even? Or did it only find its way onto latter-day compilations?
It was on Golden Hits, though it was not really a greatest hits album. It was mostly them singing other people's hits.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 06:14:32 AM »

It was on Golden Hits, though it was not really a greatest hits album. It was mostly them singing other people's hits.
Thanks a lot, Dr.! Smiley
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 03:28:13 AM »

An interesting note on "Save For A Rainy Day". Quite a lot of us Jan & Dean fans like this album, however on the numerous times I've spoken to Dean for interviews etc, he dismisses the album as "...just a collection of old songs", and he seems to have no love for it at all. I think it's a great album, but I guess it's because I'm a huge fan of Dean's work.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »

I love Jan and Dean, and their run of lps from Surf City through Batman is a great document of what an excellent producer Jan Berry was. The wrecking crew play on those albums, and they are wonderdul good time records. For their day, they are the equivalent of The Bamboo Trading Company album that was released this year.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »

An interesting note on "Save For A Rainy Day". Quite a lot of us Jan & Dean fans like this album, however on the numerous times I've spoken to Dean for interviews etc, he dismisses the album as "...just a collection of old songs", and he seems to have no love for it at all. I think it's a great album, but I guess it's because I'm a huge fan of Dean's work.

Smiley Mark

Seeing as I consider it the best work they've done, it's particularly strange... I guess it was hardly borne out of ideal circumstances.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »

Also my post upthread was immense hyperbole, but essentially how I still feel about J&D - I've warmed to Carnival Of Sound (apart from the hysterical war song) but J&D are what ordinary folk think The Beach Boys sound like. Shallow surfin' fools. The devotion does baffle me, I have to admit.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

When I first got SFARD back when it was first issued on cd, all of the reviews I read called it a psychedelic masterpiece, and basically J&D's version of Smile. So I was pretty excited to hear it. I mean, even the album cover was rather psychedelic.  Grin When I actually heard it, I HATED it. This wasn't psychedelic in any way, just badly recorded garage band sounding music. But then again, I was expecting some kind of "Jimi Hendrix meets Brian Wilson" masterpiece.  Grin Years later, I love it. Go figure.  Grin I think that the Save For A Rainy Day Theme is one of the greatest and most underrated instrumental songs ever recorded.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »

Mickey Jones from The First Edition played drums on SFARD. I am doing a book on them and during our interview we discussed the sessions. First Dean did indeed go on local TV to sing Like A Summer Rain. Mickey also spoke of singing some of the "Jan" bass parts on the album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »

Mickey Jones from The First Edition played drums on SFARD.

And James Burton played guitar IIRC

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

J&D are completely awesome and anyone who can't appreciate what they did should be forced to watch all the Scary Movie, etc movies Clockwork Orange style.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »

I just found these on youtube. First a two-part late interview with Jand&Dean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFnrrzVawd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmbsffz0Dg

And - as it says - the last TV appearance before Jan's accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl4TAwggSKU

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Archetypal J&D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dJO8nAoYY

Elsewhere on YT, someone evidently unfamiliar with the Jan Berry sense of conceptual humor has actually dubbed the studio recording over this - in stereo no less. At 3:10, you find out what kind of vehicles were roaring out of the studio's visitors lot after this.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx