gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:53:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why would anyone be obsessed/so very much into The Beach Boys?  (Read 12293 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

Okay, before I start, let me make this clear - this is not my question, but it is more something my dad asked (not quite the same wording but ah well), and I couldn't quite answer. What is it that draws us in so much to this band when, on the face of it, as my dad says, songs like little Deuce Coupe are more secondary in the music world, coming down more as 'bubble Gum Pop' according to him. I also tried the later stuff he knows - 'What about Sail On Sailor?' - apparently that still counts as typical Radio 2 fodder - a station that, judging by his reports, plays Sail On Sailor and Lady Lynda on loop with the odd 'I Can Hear Music' thrown in. He does, however, indicate that 'Good Vibrations' is an incredible piece of musical everything (not quite his words), but from what he has heard he doesn't like Smile (No-one I know does!)

(On a side note, he does also like some stuff he has heard from Pacific Ocean Blue, and Forever, along with a few off of Summer In Paradise, which, according to him, sounds very AOR-ish)

But after all that, I was still stuck. Conversation moved on, more food was consumed. But the question stayed in my head, and it's really bugging me. So I figured the guys (and Gals) here at the Smliey Smile Message Board (my goodness that sounds cheesy) may help me out here - explain to my dad what it is that makes us delve so deeply into the Beach Boys' history and recorded sound, when they are at heart a typical radio pop band?

(Smile is not a valid argument I'm afraid)

As a bonus point, we were also deliberating - if 15 Big Ones is reverting back to the old formula, does it count as a sell out?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »

If he doesn't get it so be it. There's no sense in trying to convince him. I'm sure there's stuff your dad's into that you don't get either.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

For me, it's the knowledge of Brian Wilson's personal history, his struggles and demons, and the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era. His creativeness and inventiveness in the studio. I enjoy (at least a little bit of) each era of the Beach Boys recorded history, but it was Pet Sounds and the reverence Brian Wilson that brought me to them. So if there was no Pet Sounds to obsess over, I don't think I would be geeking out on albums such as 20/20 or Sunflower, or on the other hand, All Summer Long or Summer Days. YMMV.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

Because everything they wrote is "bubblegum pop" along the lines of "Little Deuce Coupe" or even "Sail On Sailor".

Even if he dislikes Smile, I'd think he could at least recognize how ambitious and different it is, and that it's very much not your typical "bubblegum pop".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »

For me it's the sheer emotion Brian Wilson put into his music, as well as his inventiveness in the studio. It goes into many different directions over the course of time, from fun times, to the fear of loss, Pet Sounds/Smile, etc. Beach Boy music is feel-good music, and for whatever reason people have this weird idea that feel-good music is "lesser music."

For the life of me I have never understood why people think this. What do people listen to music to be emotionally disturbed? I don't get it. Huh Of course music is meant to make you feel good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:41:25 PM by Scott M » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »

I think I could write a 100 page essay about all the reasons why I love The Beach Boys. But I'll stick to the short answer. There are bands that I like because they have a couple of songs that I think are really, really good. Some bands have a dozen of those songs. A few bands even have two dozen. The Beach Boys have about ten dozen.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

As much as nobody will agree with me, it's the positivity, lol. 

Here's a guy who was born June 20th, just in time for the first day of summer, right?  Supposedly (maybe, maybe not) lost hearing in 1 ear on his birthday (the day before summer, right?); suffered from mental illness, likely his entire life (althought it manifested more in his later years)... and then went on to write beautiful song after beautiful song about the summer we all love. 

As sad as his life was at times, the music was nearly always positive, and even when the music was sad it had hope in it. 

othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »

Positive, sincere music with intricate harmonies and instrumentation written by a troubled genius who was able time and again to overcome adversity. It's such a compelling and uplifting story. Not to mention the Beach Boys are interesting historically as well. They are a symbol of everything American--not just the music but also the personalities within the band and the way those personalities interacted with one another. I mean, someone could write a whole book on that aspect of the band. 

More people should be obsessed with The Beach Boys. The fact that a lot of people don't understand the appeal is evidence of the ignorance and moral decay of the society we live in.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »

I am at a loss to provide any concrete reasons for being obsessed with the BBs - I just am...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

There's just so much to obsess over. On top of their seemingly endless albums, there's a ton of unreleased stuff that's remarkable. It's shocking that it was never put out. If you have the time and want to, like Sean Lennon said "It's rewarding."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »

The perfect combination of light and dark. Bright surface, dark undertow. Joy and sadness in equal measure. They serve the need for both light pop entertainment and serious art worthy of study. You can't find too many other modern musical artists that the same thing could be said of.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
oldsurferdude
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »

Curious-what is your father's age?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »

The perfect combination of light and dark. Bright surface, dark undertow. Joy and sadness in equal measure. They serve the need for both light pop entertainment and serious art worthy of study. You can't find too many other modern musical artists that the same thing could be said of.
This

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »

I'm going to guess his father is around 60/65.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »

This

That.
SG7
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »

They are like the Greek tragedy of rock and roll. Everything you can think of has happened to this band. Yet they are still going.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:11:20 AM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

Plain and simple: The are one of the finest bands in the history of music.  If you enjoy listen to music that is highly enjoyable, creative and timeless, The Beach Boys would be one of the bands that you would naturally gravitate to.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »

I don't know where, but they send me there 
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

Bubble gum pop does not last half a century.  My dad was in his 50's during the BB hey-days, younger than I am now, and he always seemed to get it, at least on what it meant to me.  Made life easier for me., I can tell you that, back on the ranch.  The music had substance, had relevance, was well crafted and simply struck a chord  - yes - with its audience.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »

I'm going to guess his father is around 60/65.

49  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »

nah, Ian's father definitely ain't that young, Ian's like 35 at least.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »

Pity you can't choose your parents.

Honk! Honk!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »

My dad never understood my obsession with music, period. But especially Bob Dylan. "The guy can't sing, he's a terrible harmonica player, blah blah blah".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 02:53:34 AM »

This

That.

And allllllll this is that

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »

I think my Beach Boys obsession comes down to two things:

1. The feeling I get when I listen to Beach Boys music. It's able to move me in many different ways. Brian especially was every good at conveying all kinds of emotions in his music. When you add the knowledge of the back story to those songs, it really enhances the experience. Of course it's great pop/rock music that you can bob along to while you're going about your day, but if you really listen to almost any Beach Boys song, there is so much going on, so much being expressed, that I can't imagine someone whose really listened to the music not getting enraptured and wanting to get deeper into the music.

2. My brain is wired in such a way that I am prone to obsession, and probably everyone else here is the same way. People whose brains don't work that way, won't understand it at all. This is probably the root of other people thinking we're all a bunch of weirdos, not that they think it's weird to like the Beach Boys specifically. They just can't understand that obsessive drive to know, have and listen to everything.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx