gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:41:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Masterpieces of the 21st Century  (Read 24908 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »

God no. Animal Collective are incredibly overrated. Aimless, terribly produced/mastered (MPP is brickwalled as f*ck), whiny, and with little tension or release besides admittedly nice synth textures/loops which are used with no invention. I am fond of Strawberry Jam, the record before, because it has songs with things you can remember. More than once I have put Merriweather on and been amazed that I'm actually like, 4 tracks into it because I hadn't noticed anything changing.

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hypehat! I think AC are the most exciting band around at the moment by a mile. Doesn't make it all an easy listen, or all necessarily good, but they are simultaneously fearless experimenters and able to craft beautiful pop tunes (who does that remind you of?!), and beyond that, consider how influential Merriweather PP has been on a slew of bands, worthy in their own right: Caribou, Deerhunter, Beach House, Django Django to name but a few. Jesus - nobody is carrying the Beach Boys torch (and transforming it) more boldly and worthily into the 21st century than this band. Wtach them perform Brothersport live and see if you feel the same way!

Although agree Strawberry Jam is possibly the more impressive album.

just read the rest of the thread - afraid I have to agree with lovers of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantsay. That is a magnificent album and pretty much the only place I'm happy to hear the use of autotune these days. I swear it will be a huge influence on many upcoming bands - already Fun. have based the sound of their latest album on it (going as far as hiring the same producer). I love Late Registration, but MBDTF has an entire atmosphere about it that lifts it into a different territory.

It's difficult to define a masterpiece, but an obvious qualification should be the impact it has on contemporary and future bands. I think the above two albums definitely qualify on that basis.

Radiohead are a no brainer in this sense. Amy Winehouse I'm not so sure about. Back To Black is great and was influential in its way, but is it groundbreaking? It was the precursor to all those retrophile acts such as Adele etc. and Winehouse will forever be associated with that noughties reimagining of the spector/motown/stax sound but I don't see anything necessarily groundbreaking or new about her or the acts she influenced.

how has MPP been influential on Deerhunter? I haven't seen any change out of them, aside from the logical progression they've been going in as a band for the past decade.

edit: For the record, I enjoyed Strawberry Jam when it was released and enjoyed about half of MPP, but they're forever tarnished as a band after seeing them live. Quite possibly the worst live show I've seen an established band perform my entire life.

I was getting Atlas Sound and Deerhunter mixed up and thinking of the collaboration with Noah Lennox, not that it's evidence that AC have influenced them necessarily but I end up filing them in the same place. Fair point.

Can imagine them being terrible - my friend said he hated them after seeing live. I saw them on the Strawberry Jam tour and they were incredible, premiering some of the MPP stuff. I spent months trying to work out what track Brothersport actually was as it blew my mind.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:28:42 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »

In response to the reply to my post about Kanye a little ways back-on my cell phone, mobile version of the board won`t let me quote-I`d like to agree that good music is good music regardless of genre, but with a few glaring exceptions, I feel that hip hop/rap went to sh*t after the Gangsta stuff got big. Diddy, Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Biggie, Jay Z, Eminem, etc. ruined it for me.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:53 AM »

In response to the reply to my post about Kanye a little ways back-on my cell phone, mobile version of the board won`t let me quote-I`d like to agree that good music is good music regardless of genre, but with a few glaring exceptions, I feel that hip hop/rap went to sh*t after the Gangsta stuff got big. Diddy, Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Biggie, Jay Z, Eminem, etc. ruined it for me.

I feel the same way to a certain extent. I always preferred De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde and that more mellow branch of hip hop. I have come to appreciate Jay Z more since Watch The Throne though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 05:49:22 AM »

jimmy eat world - futures

I love the production and the sound on that album but none of their greatest songs is on that album IMO.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

God no. Animal Collective are incredibly overrated. Aimless, terribly produced/mastered (MPP is brickwalled as f*ck), whiny, and with little tension or release besides admittedly nice synth textures/loops which are used with no invention. I am fond of Strawberry Jam, the record before, because it has songs with things you can remember. More than once I have put Merriweather on and been amazed that I'm actually like, 4 tracks into it because I hadn't noticed anything changing.

Another masterpiece...

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Hypehat! I just listened to Since I Left You. Loved it! Thanks for the tip
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »

David Bowie - Heathen
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

Farm  Dinosaur Jr
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »

Plus, some of these ARE masterpieces. Since I Left You is one of the greatest records I've ever heard. It's a Pet Sounds for our age.
Yes indeed, that one----and BWPS...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 01:32:53 AM »

While released on the cusp of the 21st Century in 1999, 69 Love Songs is a masterpiece. Its my most recently released favorite album.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

I like this thread.

I want to add Lonerism because just listen to the production.

I don't know what I can contribute. I'll probably end up writing a way-too-long description of how detailed and amazing Modern Vampires of the City is.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »

I like this thread.

It's funny, I had just been thinking of putting together some kind of best-of, either of this decade or this century. Turns out we did this thread a few years ago and I'd just totally forgotten it...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »

I hope, sometime in the future, The Seer, To Be Kind, and Swans' forthcoming album will be mentioned during the "greatest album trilogies" conversations that everyone loves to have. 
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »

I want to add Lonerism because just listen to the production.

Surprised it took so long for this to get a mention. Seconded.

Edit: Funny I should say that... just noticed this thread's from 2012.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:35:33 PM by yonderhillside » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »

I believe these haven't been mentioned yet:

Kasabian (self-titled)
Franz Ferdinand (self-titled)
Of Montreal----Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Neutral Milk Hotel----In the Aeroplane over the Sea
U2----ATYCLB and HTDAAB
Arcade Fire----Neon Bible
Goat----World Music
Steely Dan----Two Against Nature
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:26:31 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city and To Pimp a Butterfly
Kanye West - The College Dropout and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 03:27:06 AM »

That's 1998.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:37 AM »

That's 1998.

Oops----no wonder no one mentioned it...

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:37 AM »

That's 1998.

Oops----no wonder no one mentioned it...

It is a masterpiece however!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »

I'd llike to add Esperanza Spalding's new release 'Emily's D+Evolution' to the list. What an album!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »

I'd llike to add Esperanza Spalding's new release 'Emily's D+Evolution' to the list. What an album!

I've added it to my listening list. :=)

I've just remembered another stunner I heard quite recently: Creep On Creepin' On by Timber Timbre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLlp503gl-I
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:28:46 PM by john k » Logged

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »

I heard a song by Barns Courtney, "Fire", on the radio today. I really liked most of it aside from the stereotypical post-'00 power-poprock chorus, a non-surprisingly common element that ruins most contemporary music for me. Anyway the section that begins at approximately the 1:59 mark is mind-blowingly exceptional pop-craftsmanship. Probably the closest anyone's come to reaching the level of Brian Wilson on "Do You Like Worms?", which in my opinion is a very high point. I highly recommend a listen if you haven't heard it. So far he's only released a couple of singles and I'm hoping to GOD the album has more like that section than it does in that chorus, but we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnka7iod6C4
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »

I've added it to my listening list. :=)

Not my scene, I'm afraid, but it sounds pretty classy. And  I noticed a two-hour vid of the best of----wow. 

I was reminded of another splendid 21st-century offering: ...Is a Real Boy by Say Anything from 2004. Now that's something I can relate to!

This is the later expanded version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzWNgCb2AU

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2016, 06:54:51 AM »

I still feel pretty good about my original list, though I'd also say I'm even more hesitant to get into labeling things "masterpieces." It's the kind of thing that requires decades, I think, and only the earliest of the albums have marinated long enough for that. Some edits and additions, though.

Undeniable and masterpiece are a both strong words even on their own; together, that's tricky business. But I would rate these as the best albums of the century, probably with none reaching "undeniable masterpiece" status in my mind. (Roughly chronological order.)

Radiohead, Kid A
The Delgados, the Great Eastern
Bob Dylan, Love & Theft
Beulah, The Coast is Never Clear
Tom Waits, Alice
the Mountain Goats, Tallahassee
The Shins, Chutes Too Narrow
Belle & Sebastian, Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Brian Wilson, BWPS (in a strange way, almost like an honorary degree)
Fiery Furnaces, Blueberry Boat
Puerto Muerto, See You in Hell
Of Montreal, Satanic Panic in the Attic
Bob Dylan, Modern Times
Wilco, Sky Blue Sky
Joanna Newsom, Ys
The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America
Okkervil River, the Stage Names
Herman Dune, Giant
Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
Iron & Wine, The Shepherd's Dog
Robyn, Body Talk

Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna...
Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel...
Kacey Musgraves, Same Trailer, Different Park
Courtney Barnett, Sometimes I Sit...
Joanna Newsom, Divers
David Bowie, Blackstar

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »

One that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet:

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »

I was thinking about that but just couldn't quite call it "masterpiece." A lot of these, actually, to me just seem like good albums (including some of those I named). Though it is kind of amusing that while we have plenty of posters on this board who seem to believe the musical world stopped producing good work somewhere in the '70s (or earlier), there are so many different albums being named in this thread.

Because of how hard it is for me to use the M word (as I've said ad nauseum already), I was thinking of starting a similar thread for songs of the 21st century, maybe limiting people's nominations to, say, 15-20 songs total. But I sort of want my list ready to go before I start the thread. (If someone beats me to it, such is life. More power to you.)

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx