gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Masterpieces of the 21st Century  (Read 24909 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »

I have a hard time believing anyone would call a Kanye album a masterpiece. Let's also give "masterpiece" accolades out to 50 Cent, Eminem, Ludacris, Puff Daddy... LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 01:28:19 AM »

I have a hard time believing anyone would call a Kanye album a masterpiece. Let's also give "masterpiece" accolades out to 50 Cent, Eminem, Ludacris, Puff Daddy... LOL LOL

Pfft, all those rappers besides Kanye are old news now. It's all about Lil Wayne and that eyebrow fool from Degrassi.

No mas, por favor.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:35:16 AM »

That's not fair, a great album is a great album regardless of what genre it is!  Angry
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:11 AM »

From the genres I enjoy the most IMO the better albums will be:

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest (crap title)
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (hate this album title)
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Avalanches - Since I Left You (their 2nd one is never coming...)
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Black Keys - Brothers
Brian Wilson - Smile (this doesnt really count I suppose, I consider Smile a 60's album)
Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
The National - High Violet
Panda Bear(Noah Lennox) - Person Pitch (better than Animal Collective, very BW in his production and vocals)
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Radiohead - Kid A (maybe In Rainbows as well?)
Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel The Illinoise!
Vampire Weekend - Contra (many will disagree, but more or less all the tracks are substantial, perhaps pretentious?)
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals (same issue as with Vampire Weekend I suppose)

there are some more, but these should find som general acceptance, I recommend a listen to all of them.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

I think this thread has really gone from "Masterpieces of the 21st century" to "albums voted best of the year by every magazine on the planet"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

I think this thread has really gone from "Masterpieces of the 21st century" to "albums voted best of the year by every magazine on the planet"
Isn't that what every similar thread/list is? You didn't notice those lists of masterpieces of the '60s listing Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, Blonde on Blonde, Electric Ladyland, or whatever?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »

Plus, some of these ARE masterpieces. Since I Left You is one of the greatest records I've ever heard. It's a Pet Sounds for our age.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

That's not fair, a great album is a great album regardless of what genre it is!  Angry

Also, damn right.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »

YELLOW HOUSE by Grizzly Bear as well as VECKAwhatever. They should have something new coming soon.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

The self titled first album by The Imagined Village has probably been my personal favourite album of the 21st century. An astonishingly good album.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

Death cab for cutie - A movie script ending

One of my least favorite songs of theirs. "HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY." I do think a few of their songs deserve a spot on such a list, though.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Also, several songs from Silverchair's last two albums. Call the lynch mob, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to name a contemporary version of Brian Wilson, I'd say Daniel Johns without having to think about it. Certainly not as good as Brian (who is?), but what he puts into his songs reminds me of it.

If you're still not convinced, consider that Van Dyke Parks did the string arrangements for some of these songs, and even he said he hadn't seen anything like these songs since working with Brian in the 60s.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »

Death cab for cutie - A movie script ending

One of my least favorite songs of theirs. "HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY. HIGH. WAY." I do think a few of their songs deserve a spot on such a list, though.
hater.

if that singer ever wrote a great piece of poetry it's that song. the accustic performance from some movie soundtrack is the greatest version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7C5UIxRato

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »

Also, several songs from Silverchair's last two albums. Call the lynch mob, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to name a contemporary version of Brian Wilson, I'd say Daniel Johns without having to think about it.

Same here. I'm pretty bummed that they broke up......but i'm guessing they'll get back together sooner than later. Young Modern is probably my favourite album of theirs. I played that album, along with some YM b-sides for my girlfriend without telling her who it was. She couldn't believe it when i told her. I'm waiting patiently for some new Daniel Johns material.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)
Panda Bear -  Person Pitch (2007)
of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping (2008)
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000)
David Bowie - Heathen (2002)
System of a Down - Mezmerize (2005)
Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005)

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »

Dear Jesus, no. If any Kanye album qualifies, it's Late Registration or The College Dropout. MBDTF is a bloody mess.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »

Dear Jesus, no. If any Kanye album qualifies, it's Late Registration or The College Dropout. MBDTF is a bloody mess.
WTF graduation is his best album Smiley
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

I wonder if Kanye's ever gonna release his "Good Ass Job" album.

No mas, por favor.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

A beautiful twisted mess. Smiley

I think the album's excess is the reason why it can be considered the 21st century "Sgt. Pepper of rap."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:33:29 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
Tessaloui
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »

WTF graduation is his best album Smiley
808 and heart breaks.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »

YELLOW HOUSE by Grizzly Bear as well as VECKAwhatever. They should have something new coming soon.
I completely agree with Yellow House, but Veckatimest was too uneven to be considered a modern masterpiece.
Tessaloui
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »

tv on the radio - nine types of light was a great album my personal favorite.
Brian Wilson - reimagines Gershwin
modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news
barenaked ladies - maroon
that's why god made the radio
the beastie boys - hot sauce committee
Ben folds - lonely avenue
brand new - the devil and god is raging inside of me.
death cab for cutie - transatlanticism  
fall out boy - folie a deux
gorillaz - demond days
gotye - making mirrors
her space holiday - the young machines
jimmy eat world - futures
john mayer - battle studies
kayne  west - 808s and heart breaks
minus the bear - omni
patrick stump - soul punk
Peter Bjorn and John - writers block
phoenix - Wolfgang amadeus Phoenix
postal service - give up
the rentals - songs about time
say anything - is a real boy
steely dan - two against nature
weezer - the red album

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:23:15 AM by Tessaloui » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »

God no. Animal Collective are incredibly overrated. Aimless, terribly produced/mastered (MPP is brickwalled as f*ck), whiny, and with little tension or release besides admittedly nice synth textures/loops which are used with no invention. I am fond of Strawberry Jam, the record before, because it has songs with things you can remember. More than once I have put Merriweather on and been amazed that I'm actually like, 4 tracks into it because I hadn't noticed anything changing.

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hypehat! I think AC are the most exciting band around at the moment by a mile. Doesn't make it all an easy listen, or all necessarily good, but they are simultaneously fearless experimenters and able to craft beautiful pop tunes (who does that remind you of?!), and beyond that, consider how influential Merriweather PP has been on a slew of bands, worthy in their own right: Caribou, Deerhunter, Beach House, Django Django to name but a few. Jesus - nobody is carrying the Beach Boys torch (and transforming it) more boldly and worthily into the 21st century than this band. Wtach them perform Brothersport live and see if you feel the same way!

Although agree Strawberry Jam is possibly the more impressive album.

just read the rest of the thread - afraid I have to agree with lovers of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantsay. That is a magnificent album and pretty much the only place I'm happy to hear the use of autotune these days. I swear it will be a huge influence on many upcoming bands - already Fun. have based the sound of their latest album on it (going as far as hiring the same producer). I love Late Registration, but MBDTF has an entire atmosphere about it that lifts it into a different territory.

It's difficult to define a masterpiece, but an obvious qualification should be the impact it has on contemporary and future bands. I think the above two albums definitely qualify on that basis.

Radiohead are a no brainer in this sense. Amy Winehouse I'm not so sure about. Back To Black is great and was influential in its way, but is it groundbreaking? It was the precursor to all those retrophile acts such as Adele etc. and Winehouse will forever be associated with that noughties reimagining of the spector/motown/stax sound but I don't see anything necessarily groundbreaking or new about her or the acts she influenced.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:42:30 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »

God no. Animal Collective are incredibly overrated. Aimless, terribly produced/mastered (MPP is brickwalled as f*ck), whiny, and with little tension or release besides admittedly nice synth textures/loops which are used with no invention. I am fond of Strawberry Jam, the record before, because it has songs with things you can remember. More than once I have put Merriweather on and been amazed that I'm actually like, 4 tracks into it because I hadn't noticed anything changing.

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hypehat! I think AC are the most exciting band around at the moment by a mile. Doesn't make it all an easy listen, or all necessarily good, but they are simultaneously fearless experimenters and able to craft beautiful pop tunes (who does that remind you of?!), and beyond that, consider how influential Merriweather PP has been on a slew of bands, worthy in their own right: Caribou, Deerhunter, Beach House, Django Django to name but a few. Jesus - nobody is carrying the Beach Boys torch (and transforming it) more boldly and worthily into the 21st century than this band. Wtach them perform Brothersport live and see if you feel the same way!

Although agree Strawberry Jam is possibly the more impressive album.

just read the rest of the thread - afraid I have to agree with lovers of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantsay. That is a magnificent album and pretty much the only place I'm happy to hear the use of autotune these days. I swear it will be a huge influence on many upcoming bands - already Fun. have based the sound of their latest album on it (going as far as hiring the same producer). I love Late Registration, but MBDTF has an entire atmosphere about it that lifts it into a different territory.

It's difficult to define a masterpiece, but an obvious qualification should be the impact it has on contemporary and future bands. I think the above two albums definitely qualify on that basis.

Radiohead are a no brainer in this sense. Amy Winehouse I'm not so sure about. Back To Black is great and was influential in its way, but is it groundbreaking? It was the precursor to all those retrophile acts such as Adele etc. and Winehouse will forever be associated with that noughties reimagining of the spector/motown/stax sound but I don't see anything necessarily groundbreaking or new about her or the acts she influenced.

how has MPP been influential on Deerhunter? I haven't seen any change out of them, aside from the logical progression they've been going in as a band for the past decade.

edit: For the record, I enjoyed Strawberry Jam when it was released and enjoyed about half of MPP, but they're forever tarnished as a band after seeing them live. Quite possibly the worst live show I've seen an established band perform my entire life.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:55:50 PM by thatjacob » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx