gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 09:00:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: top 5 pink floyd  (Read 8029 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »

what do you guys think of the division bell?

Never been a fan. But it's better than 'Momentary Lapse of Reason', that's for sure.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »

Never been a fan. But it's better than 'Momentary Lapse of Reason', that's for sure.
those are both better than the final cut lol
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »

Agreed. DB is a terribly disjointed and overproduced album but it is quite an improvement over MLoR.

Per the assertion that both of those awful albums are better than The Final Cut, we are all entitled to our opinions... even the wrong, stupid, and ignorant ones.  angel
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »

those are both better than the final cut lol

Uhhhhh...........................................no. "lol"

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

To my mind, THE FINAL CUT can be criticized for being more of a Roger Waters solo project than a Pink Floyd album...but it's still one of the best albums any member of Pink Floyd was involved in creating!

Of course, if you prefer the psychedelic pop of the Syd Barrett era or the more democratic soundscape era ('68 - '75) to ANIMALS or THE WALL, I can see where THE FINAL CUT continues in a direction you may not care for. A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON suffers from trying to sound too much like a "Pink Floyd album", but THE DIVISION BELL settles into being a pleasant enough David Gilmour solo effort with assistance from Richard Wright (and presumably Nick Mason).

What is fairly extraordinary about Pink Floyd is that their catalog demonstrates a truly remarkable growth and progression...that ultimately leads to the individual members losing interest in maintaining the band itself. Most bands will simply repeat themselves until they breakup, but Floyd documented the disintegration on record with more-or-less fantastic results.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »

I thought Momentary Lapse was the Gilmour solo album, whereas Division Bell had much more group effort on it.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »

I'm very fond of Division Bell. Rick's presence is felt for sure and the stuff kinda rocked live on that tour. I dig the album
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »

I thought Momentary Lapse was the Gilmour solo album, whereas Division Bell had much more group effort on it.

I believe the first version of MLOR that Gilmour submitted (or the rough mixes) resembled his solo albums of the time. The story was that Columbia wanted an outside producer brought in to make the album sound more like what the label thought a Pink Floyd album should sound like. Whether true or not, the result sounds forced (pointless sound effects, keyboards that mimic the organ sound from THE WALL, etc.). It appears that the success of the album gave Gilmour a little more leeway with the next (last) Floyd album, THE DIVISION BELL, which, for the most part, stayed away from expected Floyd cliches. The result was it sounded more relaxed and natural...like a solo Gilmour album, but with increased contribution from Wright. I agree that THE DIVISION BELL actually has  more contributions from Wright and Mason, but it's more about Gilmour being himself instead of him and his producers trying to sound like they're making a late period Roger Waters-driven album.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »

1. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
2. A CD-R containing "Jugband Blues" and any other song written by Syd during his time with the band
3. ...

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

I believe the first version of MLOR that Gilmour submitted (or the rough mixes) resembled his solo albums of the time. The story was that Columbia wanted an outside producer brought in to make the album sound more like what the label thought a Pink Floyd album should sound like. Whether true or not, the result sounds forced (pointless sound effects, keyboards that mimic the organ sound from THE WALL, etc.). It appears that the success of the album gave Gilmour a little more leeway with the next (last) Floyd album, THE DIVISION BELL, which, for the most part, stayed away from expected Floyd cliches. The result was it sounded more relaxed and natural...like a solo Gilmour album, but with increased contribution from Wright. I agree that THE DIVISION BELL actually has  more contributions from Wright and Mason, but it's more about Gilmour being himself instead of him and his producers trying to sound like they're making a late period Roger Waters-driven album.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Nice post.

sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »

1. Meddle
2. Animals
3. Atom Heart Mother
4. Saucerful of Secrets
5. More or Umma Gumma
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
The Wall
Dark Side Of The Moon
A Saucerful Of Secrets
The Final Cut
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »

1) Piper
2) Dark Side
3) Meddle
4) Atom Heart Mother
5) Saucerful of Secrets
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

DSOTM
Piper
Saucerful
WYWH
Wall

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »

1) Piper at the Gates of Dawn
   2) Meddle
   3) Dark Side of the Moon
   4) Wish You Were Here
   5) The Wall

The Final Cut is easily better than Momentary Lapse or Division IMO

Relics & Echoes are nice comps

Animals is a good one too, just not enough room
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »

I don't consider it a true Pink Floyd album.   Nothing post Final Cut is the real deal to me. 

The best 5 albums are

The Wall
Dark Side
Final Cut
Animals
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 

I also consider Roger Waters' Pros and Cons and Amused to Death to be every bit as good as the PF albums I listed but of course they are not eligible for the list either Smiley 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »

Alphabetically (sort of):

Clouds
More
Piper
Secrets
Wish

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx