gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson taking a working Sabbatical  (Read 4520 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »

Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Brian Wilson taking a working Sabbatical
Brian Wilson, who's spent the better part of the past seven years touring the world, not to mention fitting in the completion and recording of his long-unfinished pop symphony Smile, is, as they say in Southern California, simply "chilling out." Wilson has been in and out of the studio over the past six months recording songs that he claims will be for an upcoming "rock and roll" record, but by Wilson's recent standards it seems like he's on sabbatical.

His daughter, Carnie Wilson told us that she's thrilled that her dad's finally taking a well deserved break: "I'm just so happy for him right now. He's just been through so much, and he's at this place, now after doing Smile, he's just really like sitting back going, 'Y'know what? God, I made some really cool records, and now the important thing is for me to enjoy the rest of my life and enjoy what I do what I love to do -- when I wanna do it.'"

Wilson and Carnie recently teamed up for a duet on Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful," will be featured on Carnie's debut solo album, A Mother's Gift: Lullabies From The Heart, which will be out on May 2nd.

A new recording of Wilson's long-bootlegged track "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" will be released on a new Beach Boys live collection available exclusively through Hallmark Gold Crown stores starting May 15th. The set will also include new solo tracks from the group's Mike Love and Al Jardine.

No word yet when Wilson's other recent recordings will be released.

http://www.therockradio.com/2006/03/brian-wilson-taking-working-sabbatical.html

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »

So, we should expect another Wild Honey, eh? Music for Brian to chill out by!

Also, I like how it's "Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful," when it was written by Dennis and Billy Preston...

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »

Good for him. He needs the rest. Hopefully he cuts some good stuff while he's resting.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:46:08 PM »

What would be the greatest, is if Brian and Carnie sing the backgrounds all lush and arranged and Beach-Boy beautiful, but then sings the lead all broken and messed up like Dennis, Joe, and 70'sish Brian would.  I can SO hear him going "ttttttOOO**oo* MEAaahhhhhh*** *"
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »

I like how it's "Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful," when it was written by Dennis and Billy Preston...

Dennis was involved in writing "You Are So Beautiful"....?

Shocked

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »

Dennis was involved in writing "You Are So Beautiful"....?

That's the thought now.  It's not something that's really confirmed, but I think Stebbins has some pretty convincing evidence.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »

Well, that would be the biggest thing I've ever gleaned on this board, and that's saying something.  Who is the "Fisher" guy who's credited?  And what contact existed between Dennis and Billy Preston? 

I'll certainly grant that it sounds like a Dennis song...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »

I've always thought it sounded a bit like Dennis' writing also...I remember an interview with Brian somewhere that the interviewer asks Brian if Dennis co-wrote the song and Bri said no.  What is this compelling evidence that Stebbins has?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »

It sounds as though Carnie has a better relationship with her dad than some have reported.  She seems like a very understanding daughter.  Brian doesn't have anything to prove, so it's good to know that he's getting a well-earned rest.  May he continue to relax as long as he wants.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »

I've always thought it sounded a bit like Dennis' writing also...I remember an interview with Brian somewhere that the interviewer asks Brian if Dennis co-wrote the song and Bri said no.  What is this compelling evidence that Stebbins has?
The story, first reported in Jon's book, is that Billy and Dennis collaborated on it during a party in 1974. Billy Hinsche says he witnessed it; Dennis told friends that he'd co-written it but no one believed him. Billy P. says it isn't so. A few years ago Steve Desper described a studio version by Dennis, too, but knew nothing of Dennis writing it.

As the book pointed out (quoting engineer Tom Murphy), Dennis would not have lied about something like that.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »

I had a friend who got a kick (and I don't mean that in a positive way) seeing Dennis sing that song from the Knebworth 1980 DVD, almost to the point of mocking him.  Funnily enough, I saw that same performance and was on the verge of tears at it's ragged beauty.  What is the deal with people who see things in such a way, in that they don't care to know more than what they see with their own two eyes?  Not to be a downer, but...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:44 PM »

It sounds as though Carnie has a better relationship with her dad than some have reported.  She seems like a very understanding daughter.  Brian doesn't have anything to prove, so it's good to know that he's getting a well-earned rest.  May he continue to relax as long as he wants.

Yeah... on the blueboard, Brian and Melinda have made comments over the last few years that suggest that Carnie and Wendy are over at the house all the time and they all see each other frequently.  So it appears that they've patched up a lot of their problems.  That's wonderful. 
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:42:10 AM »

"...he's just really like sitting back going, 'Y'know what? God, I made some really cool records, and now the important thing is for me to enjoy the rest of my life and enjoy what I do what I love to do -- when I wanna do it."

Cool For some reasons that part made really really happy. Brian deserves it soo much.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:40:45 AM »

The Mount Vernon & Fairway site says this:

Dennis had begun a tradition of serenading the fans in 1975, at the beginning of the band's encores, and "You Are So Beautiful" was always his song of choice. Dennis also cowrote it.
The story goes back to 1974. One night, Dennis and Billy Preston were partying and playing piano together. Also in attendance were Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night, Gerry Beckley of America, and Billy Hinsche. Preston - an accomplished artist in his own right, but perhaps best known for his work with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones - had already nailed down the opening chords and the 'You are so beautiful' line when Dennis began to sing along with him. "Dennis and Billy (Preston) really connected that night," says Hinsche. The others were singing over their shoulders. Something magical was occurring. Before the night was over, the song was finished, and though Dennis never received his share of the writing credit, he always knew the song was part of him. 'I was there that night," Hinsche insists, "and I would not dispute that Dennis had a hand in writing 'You Are So Beautiful,' and thatīs the reason we would do it in concerts."

Watch out for snakes!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 07:10:17 AM »

What a bad trade: wrongly credited for "Cease To Resist" and wrongly not credited for "You Are So Beautiful"...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »

What a great story! I can't believe Dennis had a hand in that...such a beautiful song.

Maybe as the people we should sue Preston to give Dennis credit on the song...heck if it works for Mike Love why won't it work for us? Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:34:11 AM by amosario » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx