gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:50:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - "God Only Knows" (intimate setting)  (Read 16397 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »

Carl had quit smoking well before this video was taped.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »

A relative of mine was classmates with Carl and he said as young as 14 or 15 years old he would come into class reeking of cigarettes. He definitely smoked long enough to have his teeth stained.

Why are we even talking about this? It's not like the way his teeth look detract from the beautiful performance we're very lucky to be able to watch.

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

A relative of mine was classmates with Carl and he said as young as 14 or 15 years old he would come into class reeking of cigarettes. He definitely smoked long enough to have his teeth stained.

Why are we even talking about this? It's not like the way his teeth look detract from the beautiful performance we're very lucky to be able to watch.
Did your relative know Brian as well?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

This doesn't seem to be an actual Beach Boys show. The only member of the group I see is Carl. Also, note the absence of a lot of the backing vocals near the end.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

Did your relative know Brian as well?

I'm sure he had seen him around, but I only know for sure that him and Carl were in some classes (or maybe just one) together.

No mas, por favor.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »

Beautiful performance. I think that's Billy on the keyboards, can't see the drummer. Hope there is more where this came from. Even older, with grey in his beard, a very handsome man.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »

This performance is just stunning, I wish there was more because this footage is just amazing to see one of rock's greatest vocalists in such an intimate setting.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »

Beautiful performance. I think that's Billy on the keyboards, can't see the drummer. Hope there is more where this came from. Even older, with grey in his beard, a very handsome man.

That's Mike Kowalski on drums
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 04:19:34 AM »

Carl certainly got better looking with age. As a pudgy, bearded man, it gives me hope. I just wish he hadn't started buttoning the top buttons on his collared shirts. That never looks good without a tie, and is only fashionable in certainly parts of Utah and Colorado.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »

Carl certainly got better looking with age. As a pudgy, bearded man, it gives me hope. I just wish he hadn't started buttoning the top buttons on his collared shirts. That never looks good without a tie, and is only fashionable in certainly parts of Utah and Colorado.

The Wilson brothers knew what was up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYFmG7HbBc Compared to Mike & Bruce. I'm so glad that terrible decade is over and here in 2012 we don't have to witness Bruce wearing tiny shorts dancing behind his keyboard.

No mas, por favor.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »

Perhaps I'm blind but I don't see that something would be wrong with his teeth here.
When I was 15 I had classmates with much darker teeth then Carl here.

What I really wanted to post: Great performance!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 04:53:19 AM »

Perhaps I'm blind but I don't see that something would be wrong with his teeth here.
When I was 15 I had classmates with much darker teeth then Carl here.

What I really wanted to post: Great performance!

Not trying to get off topic and turn this thread into talk about Carl's dental history, but earlier in the thread somebody had made a comment about his teeth. I personally don't think they look too bad, but it makes sense that they might be stained from years of tobacco use regardless if he had stopped smoking years before the video was filmed since he apparently smoked from a young age. Smoking obviously had more deleterious effects on his health, but again, that's not what the thread is about.

BEAUTIFUL performance. I wish somebody would come forward with information about where and when it was filmed. It's truly a shame that his voice will not be present during the 2012 tour because after Brian's disinterest and Dennis' passing, he was the only shining light in a sea of mediocrity.

No mas, por favor.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »

Perhaps he was just having an off day.

If that's what a vocal off day sounds like, I'll take a few dozen off years, please...
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »

If that's what a vocal off day sounds like, I'll take a few dozen off years, please...

I think he was great, but maybe he was just "cold". You know, he only sang one song or two and his voice was not warm yet.

acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

This video is simply amazing! Having a clip like this turn up gives me hope for what still might be out there.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »

Yeah! What he said!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 02:29:09 AM »

Probably not a big factor, but that's a really shitty mic he's singing through in that video.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:14 AM »

Probably not a big factor, but that's a really sh*tty mic he's singing through in that video.

Nice catch. Yeah, doesn’t appear to be the industry standard SM-58 mic. The event is clearly some sort of wedding-type function with a presumably nice but still modest (compared to a “real” concert) setup. The whole thing is actually kind of surreal. Carl singing an amazing song in an intimate setting; we’re watching on an intimately-shot video, yet there are banquet/catering dudes in the background milling around getting ready to pull out the spiral-cut ham or whatever it is they had going on back there. 

I know a lot of people understandably would like to see the whole “set”, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Carl didn’t do a lot of songs. May have been a quick setup for the small band to do a few songs. It would be interesting to know how much they played, and how much Carl was involved in their set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

Except for the Australia gigs in the 70s I think every other video/audio of GOK is absolutely flawless. That is such an amazing thing if you think about it. Carl just had something that made every performance great. Yes his voice was angelic but it's the passion that makes it reach another level.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »

I think he sounds absolutely fantastic! Playing for the chefs might not have been exactly inspiring, but we need to realize just how easy it ISN'T to sing such a song perfectly each and every time. When singing, each little emotion one feels in the moment can dictate where the notes go. It takes intense concentration to pull anything off 100% like the record every time.

What was this for, BTW? Did Brian drag Carl along to some restaurant as his personal entertainment while he scarfed down steaks and cake?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

From the youtube uploader...

Uploader Comments (rothoklo )

Thank you for all the comments. The performance took place at a private function and I would like to keep it that way. This was the only song Carl performed. I feel blessed to have been there and I can't say enough about what a nice person he was.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

Gorgeous clip. Reminds me of the clip of Carli Munoz & co rehearsing you are so beautiful on Christine mcvie's lawn before Dennis serenaded her. Clips of such intimacy... what are they doing even existing?!?!

It's icing on an already rich cake for this fan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:08:37 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

Forgive me if it's uncool to revive this thread, but I just ran across this video and was absolutely blown away! It was like seeing that rare, special dream where Carl shows up in my living room (or kitchen, in this case) and sings God Only Knows right in front of me. Absolutely amazing.

Here's the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAAKG-hKdhM&feature=g-vrec
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:49 PM »

Just watched this again, and so impressed, not only with Carl's singing, but his guitar playing. Those unusual chord voicings, and you can really hear them in this stripped down version.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »

I love the wordless bridge in the middle where you can only hear Carl's voice stripped of all others. Beautiful and angelic.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx