gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:13:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brians vocals on "what is a young girl made of"  (Read 5786 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »

I usually don't listen to the Hite morgon (sp) stuff becuse the quality of the songs are pretty bad but I must admit Brians voice on "WIAYGMO" is one of his best from the early years IMO,with the exception of his high falsetto part he actually sounds like he may be imitating Elvis or someone like that,sure the song may not be the best but I actually like how he sings it..what are your thoughts?
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »

Funny you should mention this song.  I just listened to this CD when reconditioning my brain of the bands early history between when Alan was there/left, when Dave started to record with them, when Al came back, the overlapping time and when Dave was gone.  It had been foggy for me.  ANYWAYS, yes, really nice performance, IMHO.  And dang are those some high notes he hits!  Obviously, he was already singing for some time and had control over the falsetto that early on.  Amazing.  Also, it had been so long since I had listened to this disc that for some reason hearing the demo of Surfer Girl surprised me.  Like, oh yeah, it actually WAS the first song Brian had wrote.  Of course, I prefer the studio version from Capitol, but I kind of prefer the bass line on this early version, atleast during the lyrics "heart come all undone" part.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »

It is better than Barbie, that's about all I can say for it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:25:01 AM »

It's terrific IMO.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:42 AM »

I've always really liked this song from the very first listen. Agreed, Brian's vocal is great, and i really like the female backing on the chorus, it's a nice song.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »

I've always really liked this song from the very first listen. Agreed, Brian's vocal is great, and i really like the female backing on the chorus, it's a nice song.
Yes, Audree had a jolly melodic voice. 3 vocalists of The Beach Boys - her sons - inherited her melancholic tone in their voices.

Wait, what? Audree is singing back up on this? If that's true I had no idea. Cool.

I do love Brian's falsetto in this one and his singing style seems to be going for something different than what he was doing with the Beach Boys. It's a unique record.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »

Wait, what? Audree is singing back up on this? If that's true I had no idea. Cool.

It's her, Al and Carl singing backup, IIRC.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »

I would've liked to hear Audree on some bonafide Beach Boys recordings but I guess one parent getting involved -- especially to the extent Murry did -- is enough, haha. Nevertheless, I think it's a shame, and sort of odd she never did considering how close she and Brian were.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »

I would've liked to hear Audree on some bonafide Beach Boys recordings but I guess one parent getting involved -- especially to the extent Murry did -- is enough, haha. Nevertheless, I think it's a shame, and sort of odd she never did considering how close she and Brian were.

I remember an interview (probably read it in Back To The Beach) in which Murry claimed he and Audree sang on 409 because the boys couldn't get it right. I haven't read that interview in a very long time though and I could mix it up with something else

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »

Wow I always thought it was some girl group backing Brian... Now this unique song is even more unique to me.  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »

Anybody else here have the original Kenny & The Cadets single (Barbie/What Is A Young Girl Made Of)?

http://www.last.fm/music/Kenny+&+The+Cadets

I just listened to "What Is A Young Girl Made Of" the other night on CD 2 of this set:

http://www.surfsuprecords.com/tracklisting.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paulos
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Anybody else here have the original Kenny & The Cadets single (Barbie/What Is A Young Girl Made Of)?

I just listened to "What Is A Young Girl Made Of" the other night on CD 2 of this set:

Mikie, I'm guessing that you do have the Kenny & The Cadets 45? I think I read somewhere that copies go for up to a $1000.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

Mikie, I'm guessing that you do have the Kenny & The Cadets 45? I think I read somewhere that copies go for up to a $1000.

Really, Paulos?  And how much is "The Surfer Moon" by Bob & Sheri going for these days?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paulos
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

Really, Paulos?  And how much is "The Surfer Moon" by Bob & Sheri going for these days?

I did some googlising and found this http://www.goldminemag.com/tag/kenny-and-the-cadets $2,606.56 for a mint copy of the red/yellow vinyl!

This one was the black vinyl at $588 but this was 4 years ago http://www.goldminemag.com/tag/kenny-and-the-cadets

As for Bob & Sherri, a mindblowing $2999! (This was also 4 years ago) http://www.popsike.com/BOB-AND-SHERI-THE-SURFER-MOON-BEACH-BOYS-RARE-45/330233376018.html
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »

The blue-labelled Bob & Sheri singles are stock copies and very rare.  The white labelled singles are promos, and even rarer. That's why the one in the link you provided went for 3K at auction.

http://homepage.mac.com/sociofuliesta/bs.html

The Kenny & The Cadets vinyl single was booted twice. The Bob & Sheri vinyl single was also booted.

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Bootleg%20releases.htm

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

I'll chime in for ya Mikie. I've got both the black vinyl and red/yellow vinyl for Kenny/Cadets. 
My Bob and Sheri is autographed by Bob and Sheri, tho it's fairly faded and hard to see...  ( not to mention previous friends/owners Pam and Jan!) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »

I wonder if Audree sang on any other early stuff.  Need to listen to this track again, but I remember wondering how a man could sound so good that high.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 03:18:03 AM »

On "Barbie", not "WIAYGMO". Also Val Poliuto of The Jaguars, allegedly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:21:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:51 AM »

I wonder if Audree sang on any other early stuff.  Need to listen to this track again, but I remember wondering how a man could sound so good that high.

Audree's not singing high (on the A side, and not singing at all on the B). Her mid-range is very audible on the chorus ("This is the moment...")

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »

Oh.  I just realized that my post made me sound like I thought a guy was singing the backup.  The two different sentences in my post were detached thoughts, but thank you for clearing things up about where Audree sang.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx