-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Brian & Al - We Are The World 25 For Haiti
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brian & Al - We Are The World 25 For Haiti  (Read 8688 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point somewhere on this board, but what are people's opinions on it?

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI&feature=related

TBH, I dont really like MJ, he had a few great tracks but all the MJmania/hysteria displayed after his death was pretty sad really (does a mentally unstable pedophile deserve all that praise? he hadnt been seen in public for like 15 yrs anyway - anyway I feel sorry for him too. he had a tough childhood)

I felt the song and most of its cast were sub-par. Justin Bieber and Hannah Montana are simply not the right people to record a song with a message.
What was the reason for Brian and Al being in it? I suppose they wanted to lend support, but they are the only white people there really. All the rest are 'contemporary RnB' trash artists and gangsta rap / hip hop artists (they even have a weird rap segment in the song)

Lastly I dont believe in the concept that if you watch a film on youtube you save the world (example: Kony 2012), but as Mike Love put it 'well I guess I'm just a sentimental sap'....
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

TBH, I dont really like MJ, he had a few great tracks but all the MJmania/hysteria displayed after his death was pretty sad really (does a mentally unstable pedophile deserve all that praise? he hadnt been seen in public for like 15 yrs anyway - anyway I feel sorry for him too. he had a tough childhood)

What was the reason for Brian and Al being in it? I suppose they wanted to lend support, but they are the only white people there really. All the rest are 'contemporary RnB' trash artists and gangsta rap / hip hop artists (they even have a weird rap segment in the song)

so thoughtful, insightful, original. A++. people like u make the innerwebz gr8
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:04:07 PM by ivy » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

I don't even know where to begin. Why bring up Michael Jackson's personal life when talking about his music? Lots of artists are mentally unstable, for one. Why would you even mention mental instability like it's a bad thing on a website devoted to Brian fuckin' Wilson? Being a pedophile has nothing to do with the music Michael Jackson wrote, and he was never convicted of anything.

Now, what is your issue with having two young singers that MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of children look up to singing a song with a "message"?  Roll Eyes Do small children not deserve to be taught empathy and compassion for your fellow man? Oh, I don't even need to answer that, do I?

And it continues to get more pathetic when you have to bring race into it. Music transcends race and ethnicity. The message of the song doesn't change with the person's skin color.

You're right though, you aren't going to save the world watching a video. But that wasn't the point of that, or the Kony video, but that obviously went right over your head like so many other things. The Kony 2012 video was made to raise awareness about a situation that most people knew nothing about. And it did a damn good job of doing what it was intended for.

You should take a long, hard look at yourself and change the way you feel, because you seem like a hateful young man.

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »

Agreed, especially on this little nugget

What was the reason for Brian and Al being in it? I suppose they wanted to lend support, but they are the only white people there really.

Who the hell in 2012 (save maybe Rick Santorum)  gives a flying sh*t what race they are?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

Enough with the race stuff this week.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »

Amen.

Seriously, there are some seriously bad vibes on the board right now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

Oops! You're racist.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point somewhere on this board, but what are people's opinions on it?

I felt the song and most of its cast were sub-par. Justin Bieber and Hannah Montana are simply not the right people to record a song with a message.

Lastly I dont believe in the concept that if you watch a film on youtube you save the world (example: Kony 2012), but as Mike Love put it 'well I guess I'm just a sentimental sap'....
Possibly the dumbest,contradictary and ill informed post ever.Wanker!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »

What was the reason for Brian and Al being in it? I suppose they wanted to lend support, but they are the only white people there really.

The moral: White people should not help black people. It's black people's job to do all the work for white people.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »

Who the hell in 2012 (save maybe Rick Santorum)  gives a flying sh*t what race they are?!

Not to get political, but I totally agree with this. Can't believe this joker is from my home state. And I'm sure a lot of people on both sides of the isle would agree!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:55:13 AM »

I don't even know where to begin. Why bring up Michael Jackson's personal life when talking about his music? Lots of artists are mentally unstable, for one. Why would you even mention mental instability like it's a bad thing on a website devoted to Brian f*ckin' Wilson? Being a pedophile has nothing to do with the music Michael Jackson wrote, and he was never convicted of anything.

Now, what is your issue with having two young singers that MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of children look up to singing a song with a "message"?  Roll Eyes Do small children not deserve to be taught empathy and compassion for your fellow man? Oh, I don't even need to answer that, do I?

And it continues to get more pathetic when you have to bring race into it. Music transcends race and ethnicity. The message of the song doesn't change with the person's skin color.

You're right though, you aren't going to save the world watching a video. But that wasn't the point of that, or the Kony video, but that obviously went right over your head like so many other things. The Kony 2012 video was made to raise awareness about a situation that most people knew nothing about. And it did a damn good job of doing what it was intended for.

You should take a long, hard look at yourself and change the way you feel, because you seem like a hateful young man.

Hehe I'm not hateful, I simply find it contradictional that one would celebrate an artist who writes songs about saving the world whilst living in a huge mansion/estate/disneyworld/zoo where he had some serious problems with his relationship with kids. BW was not damaged in that way, he simply had too many drugs and black dogs come over him.

The reason I brought up this song is that I feel its wrong for celebrities to remake a care song when they are the richest people in modern society. I feel they are a bit like "Hey if I make this film where I express my sorrow all will be kay, right?". I feel it is a minor contribution for people who live in such extreme wealth, I much preferred the alternative clip of normal people sending in segments (cant find clip because of bad internet...  Undecided)

Point is, ordinary people convey the message more than Justin Bieber & CO. I'm not alone in this, many music critics have pointed it out and I'm not hateful. And who cares if 10-16 yr old kids know about Haiti or not? they cant do anything about it anyway. wrong target group. the same target group which endorsed Kony2012, it doesnt matter if kids know about Kony, only voters and responsible people in government can do something about it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:03:35 AM »

ATTENTION!

I did  NOT wish for it to be the talk of racism, I am not racist and I have many multi-ethnic friends. My phrasing was very bad and I apologize for it!

My point was there were only Contemporary RnB/ Hip Hop stars - who happen to be mostly black  + some kids from Disney channel who were there, where are all the other mainstream rock/pop artists. It was an MJ song, and I know RnB/Hip Hop is mostly descended (they claim) from MJ so there is supposedly a musical bond or whatever. And therefore the main musicians of other genres (who happen to be mostly non-black) have no connection or affection for MJ decided to not do it.

I simply pointed out that Brian and Al were the only ones who 'broke' the trend. It was very nice of them but seemed a bit out of place!
No offence to anyone. Not the intention.

Peace&Love to all  Grin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:10 AM »

Possibly the dumbest,contradictary and ill informed post ever.Wanker!

Not really, all info was legit, there are no contradictions, maybe dumb - but ill suffer that.
Thanks for offending me, and making yourself appear worse than me by throwing an unwarrented vulgar comment at me.
Peace&Love  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:14:36 AM »

Contemporary rap music and R&B IS pop music today, in case you haven't noticed.

Also, people don't listen to ordinary people. It's debatable if they even listen to pop stars. But why would you criticise millionaires for trying to help the less fortunate? If anything, they should be doing more. I disagree with Bono's methods (and Bono himself), but you can't fault the principle!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »

Contemporary rap music and R&B IS pop music today, in case you haven't noticed.

Also, people don't listen to ordinary people. It's debatable if they even listen to pop stars. But why would you criticise millionaires for trying to help the less fortunate? If anything, they should be doing more. I disagree with Bono's methods (and Bono himself), but you can't fault the principle!

That I agree with, they should be doing more, not making bland remakes of old crappy songs (I think the song is pretty crappy)

Should they not give money or agree to each contributing to a compilation album? that would give some real income for charity.
 I am for that they want to share awareness, but that song is just to tacky and over-saccharine. And its not a great effort, it's just one meager song. Just enough to keep their conscience clear and then they can all go back to enjoying their absurd wealth.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »

Apart from that nonsense about race and R&B, Cabinessenceking has a point which is that these videos can work more to perpetuate the problem rather help solve it, mostly because it doesn't convey what the actual problem really is. I don't come away really knowing anything about Haiti. We certainly don't understand why we only started really caring about Haiti after climate disasters there even though they were the poorest country in the hemisphere by the end of the 20th century. These kinds of thing do very much conceal what's going on rather than reveal it. While I do think it is crucial for communication (and acknowledge that, at the moment, the only people who have real access to mainstream communication, are the wealthy), I don't think this is really the right kind of communication. Same goes for the Kony video, incidentally, which was really not about raising awareness of a horrific criminal but an attempt to instigate Western military intervention and control of the region.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

ATTENTION!

I did  NOT wish for it to be the talk of racism, I am not racist and I have many multi-ethnic friends. My phrasing was very bad and I apologize for it!

My point was there were only Contemporary RnB/ Hip Hop stars - who happen to be mostly black  + some kids from Disney channel who were there, where are all the other mainstream rock/pop artists. It was an MJ song, and I know RnB/Hip Hop is mostly descended (they claim) from MJ so there is supposedly a musical bond or whatever. And therefore the main musicians of other genres (who happen to be mostly non-black) have no connection or affection for MJ decided to not do it.

I simply pointed out that Brian and Al were the only ones who 'broke' the trend. It was very nice of them but seemed a bit out of place!
No offence to anyone. Not the intention.

Peace&Love to all  Grin

I remember Tony Bennett being there. I think he is neither black or a Hip Hop artist.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »

Hehe I'm not hateful, I simply find it contradictional that one would celebrate an artist who writes songs about saving the world whilst living in a huge mansion/estate/disneyworld/zoo where he had some serious problems with his relationship with kids. BW was not damaged in that way, he simply had too many drugs and black dogs come over him.

This is really just so lulzy I do not even know where to begin. Michael Jackson is in the Guiness Book of World Records for being the celebrity who has funded the most charities. But living in a big house makes him a hypocrite?

I'm not going to even get into the kids thing because I know for certain that you are just talking out of your ass and have no reason to believe he was a pedophile beyond just automatically believing what was splashed across the tabloids.

BUT YEAH TOTALLY BRIAN'S MENTAL ISSUES WERE WAY COOLER THAN MICHAEL'S.

Again, lol. It was not an "MJ song." Bob Geldof (a white guy) and Harry Belafonte (a black guy) asked Lionel Richie (a black guy) and Kenny Rogers (a white guy) to spearhead the project. Richie then went to Michael Jackson to get him in on the project, because his star power had the most cachet back then (much like Bieber et al today). Richie and Jackson wrote the song together. It was originally performed by a very racially diverse group, including Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

Before you say things that are dumb and racist, please read other things that are less so.
Paulos
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »

Apart from that nonsense about race and R&B, Cabinessenceking has a point which is that these videos can work more to perpetuate the problem rather help solve it, mostly because it doesn't convey what the actual problem really is. I don't come away really knowing anything about Haiti. We certainly don't understand why we only started really caring about Haiti after climate disasters there even though they were the poorest country in the hemisphere by the end of the 20th century. These kinds of thing do very much conceal what's going on rather than reveal it. While I do think it is crucial for communication (and acknowledge that, at the moment, the only people who have real access to mainstream communication, are the wealthy), I don't think this is really the right kind of communication. Same goes for the Kony video, incidentally, which was really not about raising awareness of a horrific criminal but an attempt to instigate Western military intervention and control of the region.

What the..how the hell is an earthquake a 'climate disaster'?! You are right about the video though, it didn't convey what the problem was and what needed to be done to help the Haitians.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »

What the..how the hell is an earthquake a 'climate disaster'?! You are right about the video though, it didn't convey what the problem was and what needed to be done to help the Haitians.

You're right - this was about the earthquake and not the devastating tropical storms that hit the country two years earlier. I was confused about what nightmarish situation in Haiti this was about, since there have been unfortunately so many there.
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

Not to get political, but I totally agree with this. Can't believe this joker is from my home state. And I'm sure a lot of people on both sides of the isle would agree!

Not everyone.  I like Rick.  Solid morals, solid ethics and strives for fairness.  I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian.   Hoping all have a happy easter weekend!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »

Not everyone.  I like Rick.  Solid morals, solid ethics and strives for fairness.  I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian.   Hoping all have a happy easter weekend!

Sanatorium become quite wealthy, I mean, VERY wealthy after his brief Senate career, peddling his influence to the higherst bidder.  That's blue collar ethics for ya.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »

Sanatorium become quite wealthy, I mean, VERY wealthy after his brief Senate career, peddling his influence to the higherst bidder.  That's blue collar ethics for ya.

I'm no fan or supporter of Rick Santorum but can we all just agree to not discuss politics on a fucking Beach Boys messageboard? No one is going to change anyone's mind and no good will come out of it.

- B00ts
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

Agreed. Lolitics has no place in music discussion.

No mas, por favor.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

Sorry if it came off that way. I didn't mean it to sound like I was speaking for everyone. Just thought it was interesting that it was brought up, I'm a political science major, so I get suckered into those discussions easily. Haha. No offense meant!

And I share in the Easter wishes for everyone!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: