gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:22:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Waves of Love" - CD and Downloadable Versions Completely Different  (Read 11200 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »

My Amazon download of WOL and the version on the physical CD I have are radically different.

Same with mine. Got my CD from Amazon on day of release. WOL is 3:35 rather than the Amazon download of 3:51. Maybe some of us got an early pressing that wasn't intended for release &
WOL was changed on later copies??? (Can't believe too many copies were available in any form.)

That must be the case. The version of the song available on Amazon now (I bought mine today) is 3:51.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »

Does that mean some of us have a collector's item?

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »

I'd love to hear the alternative version from the physical cd. Sad I only have the one from amazon...

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

I'd love to hear the alternative version from the physical cd. Sad I only have the one from amazon...

MOD EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE MATERIAL HERE. A SECOND ATTEMPT WILL RESULT IN A BAN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPREHENSION.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:56:38 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

The alternative is way better. Such a better production.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

The alternative is way better. Such a better production.

That's MUCH better! I can actually stand to listen to it now! Still not a brilliant song though.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »

Yes, this one is obviously the 1995 demo version.

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »

Thx so much sonora!
Wow Al's voice sounds much better on that version, although it is played deeper.
Al sounds like 40 years ago, wow! Shocked
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:48:07 PM by SheriffJohnStone » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

That's SO MUCH DIFFERENT! I kinda like the ramshackle download version, though. Less  stupid saxophone.

That 'YEEEAAAAAH' is completely A+, though
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:51:00 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

MOD EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE MATERIAL HERE. A SECOND ATTEMPT WILL RESULT IN A BAN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPREHENSION.

Now this I like! I stand by my comment that the download version is out of Al's range. This version is much better. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:56:46 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/pretty-darn-close-beach-boy-al-jardine-on-his-new-solo-album-plus-smile-1

The above link is an interview of some vintage - Al talks about wanting to remix "Drivin'". Did that happen??
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/pretty-darn-close-beach-boy-al-jardine-on-his-new-solo-album-plus-smile-1

The above link is an interview of some vintage - Al talks about wanting to remix "Drivin'". Did that happen??

Good question. And what happened to "“My Plane Leaves Tomorrow, Au Revoir, Don’t Say Goodbye”?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »

Good question. And what happened to "“My Plane Leaves Tomorrow, Au Revoir, Don’t Say Goodbye”?

Yeah, a bit disappointing not getting that one in light of the inclusion of the “Pirate’s Tale” version of “Sloop John B” on the reissue. Al clearly has plenty of other stuff. Maybe this big hoopla around his album will motivate him to do another solo album sooner rather than later. I know in the last decade he’s mentioned some other tracks that haven’t yet come out, like “Crumple Car”. I believe he also mentioned in an interview a few years ago that he was considering new recordings of “Santa Ana Winds” and “Don’t Go Near the Water.” I dunno if those were ever even recorded, though.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »

Yeah, a bit disappointing not getting that one in light of the inclusion of the “Pirate’s Tale” version of “Sloop John B” on the reissue. Al clearly has plenty of other stuff. Maybe this big hoopla around his album will motivate him to do another solo album sooner rather than later. I know in the last decade he’s mentioned some other tracks that haven’t yet come out, like “Crumple Car”. I believe he also mentioned in an interview a few years ago that he was considering new recordings of “Santa Ana Winds” and “Don’t Go Near the Water.” I dunno if those were ever even recorded, though.

All these and more will be on the remixed remastered re-release due before Christmas, shipping 2014 and set for delivery pre-2018, in stores 2020.

“We live in divisive times.”
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »

You can listen to the song on Al Jardine's Official MySpace page
http://www.myspace.com/aljardineofficial/music
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »

The version of Waves of Love on Spotify has been changed to the CD version. You can listen to it there now (legally of course Smiley) if you want to hear it.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »

So to clarify, is the version on iTunes the "more prominent Carl" version?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

yes.  iTunes version is Carl singing the chorus

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »

It would probably make my day if I were to somehow acquire both versions of this song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »

Maybe you could buy them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

yes.  iTunes version is Carl singing the chorus

There are no differing versions currently available. From anywhere. All online and physical copies are now the fully produced album version. Amazon briefly and accidentally put out the early version as an mp3 for a day or two.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:32 AM »

Maybe you could buy them.

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 02:20:06 AM »

Bummer… sounds like I missed it despite buying downloads from both iTunes and Amazon at the time.

Of course, as the physical disc STILL hasn't appeared, I can't be sure.

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »

yes.  iTunes version is Carl singing the chorus

There are no differing versions currently available. From anywhere. All online and physical copies are now the fully produced album version. Amazon briefly and accidentally put out the early version as an mp3 for a day or two.

Okay, the versions we’re talking about are getting confused I think. As of the release date, the physical CD had the “early/demo” version where Carl is not featured prominently. As of the release date, the Amazon and iTunes download versions featured the “fully produced” (and longer) version with Carl featured prominently.

Has this changed? The Amazon download sample still sounds like the “fully produced” version, and every physical CD copy I’ve heard that people have received still has the “early/demo” version. I would doubt they would have already done a new production run of the physical CD and already have replaced “old” CD copies with new/fixed copies.

I also haven't heard of Amazon ever offering the "early/demo" version as a download.

The only questions seems to be whether anyone has the “fully produced”, longer version of the song on a physical CD. I still haven’t seen anyone state they have a physical CD copy with this version.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:51:44 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »

Hey Jude is correct.  One can obtain the "Carl" version as a download via itunes or Amazon, or the early version which is on the physical cd.

yes.  iTunes version is Carl singing the chorus

Okay, the versions we’re talking about are getting confused I think. As of the release date, the physical CD had the “early/demo” version where Carl is not featured prominently. As of the release date, the Amazon and iTunes download versions featured the “fully produced” (and longer) version with Carl featured prominently.

Has this changed? The Amazon download sample still sounds like the “fully produced” version, and every physical CD copy I’ve heard that people have received still has the “early/demo” version. I would doubt they would have already done a new production run of the physical CD and already have replaced “old” CD copies with new/fixed copies.

I also haven't heard of Amazon ever offering the "early/demo" version as a download.

The only questions seems to be whether anyone has the “fully produced”, longer version of the song on a physical CD. I still haven’t seen anyone state they have a physical CD copy with this version.

You are correct. As far as I know, one can still download teh "Carl" version via iTunes or Amazon, or get the "demo" version on the physical cd. I can't see this changing until/if the first complete run of cds sells out and a second run is ever pressed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:59:08 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx