gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:53:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" at Dodger Stadium  (Read 84943 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

This happened in 2005.

I got backstage several hours before a show in Liverpool. I met a lot of the band members who were very kind and gracious to me, as they had enjoyed one of my albums. I met Brian, who was in great spirits, clapped me on the back and had a bit of banter about the weather with me. When I was introduced to Jeff however, he looked at me dismissively, turned away, and announced it was time for the sound check.

A band member had previously been saying to me there were a lot of  politics going on at the moment, and there were two very different sides in the BW camp, and there was a difference in the way Brian was treated. I'll be honest here and not embellish this, as I do not remember great details on this conversation. I do remember it was very much a "them and us" type of dialogue. Jeff was not specifically mentioned, but I must have had some reason to think he was speaking negatively of Jeff.

I asked the band member to whom I was speaking if I could attend the soundcheck, and he said yes. Wow, what an honour, my own private BW concert! They rehearsed some instrumental tracks, then Brian wandered on and sat down at his keyboard. Jeff said "Right, lets rehearse so and so". Brian said, "no, I want to rehearse blah blah" Jeff, trying to be patient, but as if speaking to a child, "No Brian, we need to rehearse this, we only have x amount of time, we're doing this, OK"

Then they rehearse "Tell Me Why", (it's Liverpool).  Jeff says "Brian, you need to learn your harmony, listen, I'll sing it to you"
                                                                                  Brian says "I know it already"
                                                                                  Jeff - (becoming more irritated,) "Brian, let me just sing it to you, we don't have a lot of time".
                                                                                  Brian - " I know it". He sings the lower harmony perfectly.

Then comes the vocal level tests. Brian, staring into space, doesn't hear the sound guy call "Brian". He calls again. Jeff shouts, with an angry, irritated look on his face "Brian, please pay attention, we need to get the levels" Brian barks his note.

Now, in fairness to Jeff, they obviously were up against it time-wise, and I was also rather put out by him snubbing me. And also, seeing it written down here, it may not seem he was being that rude to Brian. But honestly, if you'd heard it you would have been shocked at the withering "look what I have tio put up with" way that he spoke to Brian. I honestly felt like jumping on the stage, shaking him and saying "Who pays your bloody wages?"

Now it may well be that in order to get Brian to do something, you need to be hard with him. I'm sure Dr Landy would agree with this. But to witness it first hand was horrible.

It may also be true that Jeff was having a bad day or something, as I know some of you have met him and he was lovely. Bear in mind though, Jeff did not know there was an audience.

There, and I've tried to be as unbiased and fair to Jeff as possible, but ever since then I've had no time for the guy. So for me personally, the Grammys and the Dodgers have been spoilt by having this guy hogging the sound.

this doesn't seem too bad of a story.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

Well, I said I'd be honest about it, but also that you had to be there. Some vibes cannot be conveyed.

Sorry if folk were expecting to hear about Jeff beating Brian with a big, black dildo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:19:22 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »

Just listened to both songs for the first time. They sounded good overall. The mixes were a bit Jeff heavy, but we're probably the only people in the world that would notice. Remember the purpose of a performance like this; they're trying to drum up publicity about the reunion to the general public. They're trying to take what they have and make it sound the most like 60s Beach Boys as possible. That means close harmonies with a distinct falsetto on top. This is what will sell the most concert tickets. It probably wouldn't have been a smart move to count on Bruce or Brian to sing that part under the circumstances and end up underwhelming thousands of people. Instead the play it safe and underwhelm the few of us, who already bought tickets 2 months ago.

Of course it could have been better. The mix could have been better, they could have Matt doing the high stuff instead, they could add a second person on the bass parts to help fill out the sound, but working with what they have they did a good job. I would consider this an overall success, and man, was it good to see them all together like that.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »

this doesn't seem too bad of a story.

Nope. There are worse ones, though. Apparently in the first tour, folks backstage were treated to a full-scale berating of Brian over the quality of his performance in the first set. (The folks doing the berating were not named.)

Brian and his circle of folks are very complicated and codependent. That being said, part of Jeff's job is running interference for Brian. That means acting like a heavy occasionally, which I'm sure isn't pleasant. And he likely resents Brian at times -- it's no doubt hard taking care of a guy who acts so willfully helpless. That's a very human response.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »

"this doesn't seem too bad of a story."

Not good either, but if the show's sh*t because they don't regearse properly, what do you say?  You blame Foskett anyhow, I guess. Doesn't AGD say BW doesn't do anything he doesn't want to?  He could always fire Foskett

Honk! Honk!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »

Even on the light mix, Jeff sounds really bad.  He shouldn't even sing on the tour at all if he's going to sound like that.  It could be he's either singing too much lately or has a cold/allergies, but it's bad.  Not just shrill and unpleasant, but not on pitch.  He can play guitar, so it's not like he has to sing.  I definitely hope they don't have him do any leads.  Whichever guy(s) they had singing on the recent Al record release party could sing falsetto much better (videos on YouTube).  They have better people singing falsetto on videos of the Mike/Bruce touring group, too.  To me, one of the weaker parts of Brian's band is the vocals, and Jeff is part of that.

Jeff's "pitch" was perfectly fine -- maybe the vocal blend of all the singers was not the best, but, c'mon people, they were singing at a baseball stadium, for cryin' out loud, probably the WORST place in the world to be performing vocal music.

GEEZ

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »

Jeff was purposely made significantly louder than everyone else. anyone who thinks otherwise is being too idealistic. don't blame it on the baseball stadium.

but this still doesn't matter for any part of the tour except for the group choruses and Brian leads. it's not like Jeff is going to be singing over Mike on Surfin' USA or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »

Even on the light mix, Jeff sounds really bad.  He shouldn't even sing on the tour at all if he's going to sound like that.  It could be he's either singing too much lately or has a cold/allergies, but it's bad.  Not just shrill and unpleasant, but not on pitch.  He can play guitar, so it's not like he has to sing.  I definitely hope they don't have him do any leads.  Whichever guy(s) they had singing on the recent Al record release party could sing falsetto much better (videos on YouTube).  They have better people singing falsetto on videos of the Mike/Bruce touring group, too.  To me, one of the weaker parts of Brian's band is the vocals, and Jeff is part of that.

Jeff's "pitch" was perfectly fine -- maybe the vocal blend of all the singers was not the best, but, c'mon people, they were singing at a baseball stadium, for cryin' out loud, probably the WORST place in the world to be performing vocal music.

GEEZ

exactly what I said  last night.  I was there, the sound was delayed and bouncing all over the place.  Nobody ever sounds good there

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SG7
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »

I kind of wish Matt Jardine was a part of this!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »

Well, I said I'd be honest about it, but also that you had to be there. Some vibes cannot be conveyed.

Sorry if folk were expecting to hear about Jeff beating Brian with a big, black dildo

Thanks for the story...I can appreciate what you wrote because I totally got the "cold" Jeff once too.  I was at a BW meet and greet and right as I walk in waiting to have Brian sign my Surf's Up album, Jeff looked at me and said "What's your favorite Beach Boy song??"  His tone was demeaning and untrusting--he made it seem like I didn't belong there and that I wasn't a real fan.  My first response was "Vegatables."  He asked "Why?"  What the hell was this...an interrogation?  Was there a questionairre I was supposed to fill out before this?  No answer I gave him pleased him and I could tell that in his head he had written me off.  We left and went back to our seats.  I was so disturbed by this that I went back to the backstage area, asked the security guard to ask if Jeff to come out and speak with me.  The security guard didn't know any better so he did.  I wanted to apologize and ask if there was anything I did.  Jeff comes out and says "I'm way too busy right now.  I can't talk.  You did nothing wrong...I gotta go!"  It soured my meeting with Brian and I couldn't focus on the show.  I've "gotten over" it since then but it's still a memory I don't like to revisit....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:55:26 PM by Justin » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

Thanks for the story...I can appreciate what you wrote because I totally got the "cold" Jeff once too.  I was at a meet and greet and while I was meeting with Brian, having him sign my Surf's Up album, Jeff looked at me and said "What's your favorite Beach Boy song??"  His tone was demeaning and untrusting--he made it seem like I didn't belong there and that I wasn't a real fan.  My first response was "Vegatables."  He asked "Why?"  What the hell was this...an interrogation?  Was there a questionairre I was supposed to fill out before this?  No answer I gave him pleased him and I could tell that in his head he had written me off.  We left and went back to our seats.  I was so disturbed by this that I went back to the backstage area, asked the security guard to ask if Jeff to come out and speak with me.  The security guard didn't know any better so he did.  I wanted to apologize and ask if there was anything I did.  Jeff comes out and says "I'm way too busy right now.  I can't talk.  You did nothing wrong...I gotta go!"  I was completley bothered by this and the whole show was practically ruined for me because I couldn't understand what I could have done to offend Jeff.  It soured my meeting with Brian and I couldn't focus on the show at all.  I've "gotten over" it since then but it's still a memory I don't like to revisit....

Hmm.

That's your story? Jeff asked you two questions -- none of which were particularly rude or intrusive -- and it hurt your feelings?

And it hurt your feelings so much that you demanded to speak to Jeff again because you wanted some sort of closure? Really?

And this proves Jeff is a bad, manipulative man?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:06:19 PM by Wirestone » Logged
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »

This is the type of behavior that I've seen from Jeff at every BW show I've been to.  I remember one show where Jeff came out into the audience during the intermission and stood in front of the stage as if he were waiting for fans to approach him.  Many did, and Jeff seemed to enjoy telling them that they were not going get any autographs.  It really made me wonder why he came out into the audience in the first place... weird.  

But on a more positive note, I do have to say that every other band member I've encountered in both The Beach Boys and in Brian Wilson's band have been wonderful!

Thanks for the story...I can appreciate what you wrote because I totally got the "cold" Jeff once too.  I was at a meet and greet and while I was meeting with Brian, having him sign my Surf's Up album, Jeff looked at me and said "What's your favorite Beach Boy song??"  His tone was demeaning and untrusting--he made it seem like I didn't belong there and that I wasn't a real fan.  My first response was "Vegatables."  He asked "Why?"  What the hell was this...an interrogation?  Was there a questionairre I was supposed to fill out before this?  No answer I gave him pleased him and I could tell that in his head he had written me off.  We left and went back to our seats.  I was so disturbed by this that I went back to the backstage area, asked the security guard to ask if Jeff to come out and speak with me.  The security guard didn't know any better so he did.  I wanted to apologize and ask if there was anything I did.  Jeff comes out and says "I'm way too busy right now.  I can't talk.  You did nothing wrong...I gotta go!"  I was completley bothered by this and the whole show was practically ruined for me because I couldn't understand what I could have done to offend Jeff.  It soured my meeting with Brian and I couldn't focus on the show at all.  I've "gotten over" it since then but it's still a memory I don't like to revisit....
SG7
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »

All this is why I just enjoy the music and not dying to be on the inside. It can be great and at times very disapointing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

I never said he was a bad, manipulative man.  Just because my story came after post after post of people railing on him on account of his loud vocal at the Dodgers game doesn't mean that I was joining in on the proceedings.  Another poster mentioned a story and it reminded me of mine, I was just sharing not adding to the fire.  I simply labeled Jeff as cold and like the other poster mentioned, no amount of writing can convey the vibes in the room.  The group with me all were asking what I had done to piss Jeff off when he confronted me by practically asking me to show my "fan badge"." The exhcange  may have come off as benign here in writing, but the hostility was palpable and it was noted by the people around me.  Nothing more.  Yeah, I'm the bad guy because I felt terrible about the situation and wanted to apologize to him.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:35:54 PM by Justin » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 11, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »

I never said he was a bad, manipulative man.  Just because my story came after post after post of people railing on him on account of his loud vocal at the Dodgers game doesn't mean that I was joining in on the proceedings.  Another poster mentioned a story and it reminded me of mine, I was just sharing not adding to the fire.  I simply labeled Jeff as cold and like the other poster mentioned, no amount of writing can convey the vibes in the room.  The group with me all were asking what I had done to piss Jeff off when he confronted me.  It may have come off as benign here in writing, but the hostility was palpable and it was noted.  Nothing more.  Yeah, I'm the bad guy because I felt terrible about the situation and wanted to apologize to him.   Roll Eyes

Sounds to me like he was trying to suss you out as a scalper or somesuch.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »

I eventually went with that theory, pixletwin.  The other idiots I was with had that vibe about them so Jeff may have assumed I was with them and doubted why I should have been back there at all.   I went in with that group only because  that was how we were positioned outside at our seats. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:44:00 PM by Justin » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 11, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »

This is the type of behavior that I've seen from Jeff at every BW show I've been to.  I remember one show where Jeff came out into the audience during the intermission and stood in front of the stage as if he were waiting for fans to approach him.  Many did, and Jeff seemed to enjoy telling them that they were not going get any autographs.  It really made me wonder why he came out into the audience in the first place... weird.  

Maybe he just wanted to talk to the fans but didn't want any further hassle? Maybe he was looking for someone he knew in the audience? Maybe he wanted to see what the venue was like from the audience side?

To counter these, I've met Jeff twice myself and both times he was very polite, he signed autographs (including a live bootleg CD I had) and did nothing to upset me in the slightest. But then again, all of these stories of how terrible he is seem to consist of him behaving perfectly reasonably but giving off an 'odd vibe' or something. Given that studies have shown that most people are much, *much* worse at picking up nonverbal signals than they think they are (and that people can give off bad nonverbal signals based on things like being from a different country or having some neurological issues, none of which affect what kind of person they are) perhaps the benefit of doubt is in order?

It's rather unfair to judge someone based on the times you get to meet them when they're busy doing something else. I've met Bruce Johnston three times, for example. The first time, he was incredibly friendly, outgoing, and charming. The second time, he was polite at first but then made a couple of jokes which could have, had I been the kind of person to take offence, seemed quite personally offensive toward me (I choose to take them as merely ill-advised attempts at banter). The third time, I didn't speak to him but he was unutterably rude to two other fans who were nearby. "Is" Bruce a lovely, friendly man who'll do anything for the fans or a complete arsehole? Probably a bit of both. Like most of us.

I have no great love for Jeff Foskett -- I think he's a decent singer, but both Scott Totten and Matt Jardine are better at singing those parts, and from what little I know of the BW band internal politics (all third-hand gossip) it sounds to me like he's a negative force as far as things like song selections go. But the abuse he's getting is out of all proportion to the actual 'offence'.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 11, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

Thanks for the story...I can appreciate what you wrote because I totally got the "cold" Jeff once too.  I was at a meet and greet and while I was meeting with Brian, having him sign my Surf's Up album, Jeff looked at me and said "What's your favorite Beach Boy song??"  His tone was demeaning and untrusting--he made it seem like I didn't belong there and that I wasn't a real fan.  My first response was "Vegatables."  He asked "Why?"  What the hell was this...an interrogation?  Was there a questionairre I was supposed to fill out before this?  No answer I gave him pleased him and I could tell that in his head he had written me off.  We left and went back to our seats.  I was so disturbed by this that I went back to the backstage area, asked the security guard to ask if Jeff to come out and speak with me.  The security guard didn't know any better so he did.  I wanted to apologize and ask if there was anything I did.  Jeff comes out and says "I'm way too busy right now.  I can't talk.  You did nothing wrong...I gotta go!"  I was completley bothered by this and the whole show was practically ruined for me because I couldn't understand what I could have done to offend Jeff.  It soured my meeting with Brian and I couldn't focus on the show at all.  I've "gotten over" it since then but it's still a memory I don't like to revisit....

He's the effing band leader for Chrissakes.  I'm surprised he didn't have security run you off as a potential stalker.  That's what I would have done.

3D

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »

He's the effing band leader for Chrissakes.  I'm surprised he didn't have security run you off as a potential stalker.  That's what I would have done.

3D

Thanks for the tip.   Undecided I was bothered by how he treated me during the first meeting not later when I tried to apologize.  If you're looking for a person who hates Jeff and wishes him to be out of the band--that ain't me.  I've posted many times on this board asking what really is the problem people have with Jeff.  I like his singing and have no issue with him as a performer.  This story just popped into my head because someone else shared a story and it conjured up my experience. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »

Where does Christian Love rank for you guys?

He is alright.  He does REMIND one of Carl, but that is as far as I can go with that.  Since we're talking falsettos here, I've never heard Christian try falsetto that I know of.  

You don't have the Mike Love, Not War b**t, I take it. Christian takes Carl's falsetto part on "Brian's Back", and sounds really, really like him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

Thanks for the story...I can appreciate what you wrote because I totally got the "cold" Jeff once too.  I was at a meet and greet and while I was meeting with Brian, having him sign my Surf's Up album, Jeff looked at me and said "What's your favorite Beach Boy song??"  His tone was demeaning and untrusting--he made it seem like I didn't belong there and that I wasn't a real fan.  My first response was "Vegatables."  He asked "Why?"  What the hell was this...an interrogation?  Was there a questionairre I was supposed to fill out before this?  No answer I gave him pleased him and I could tell that in his head he had written me off.  We left and went back to our seats.  I was so disturbed by this that I went back to the backstage area, asked the security guard to ask if Jeff to come out and speak with me.  The security guard didn't know any better so he did.  I wanted to apologize and ask if there was anything I did.  Jeff comes out and says "I'm way too busy right now.  I can't talk.  You did nothing wrong...I gotta go!"  I was completley bothered by this and the whole show was practically ruined for me because I couldn't understand what I could have done to offend Jeff.  It soured my meeting with Brian and I couldn't focus on the show at all.  I've "gotten over" it since then but it's still a memory I don't like to revisit....

3D

Actually, Mertens is the bandleader these days.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: April 11, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

Surfer Girl - The Foskett-Lite Mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyfUCdGTv0

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. How did you do that ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

3D

Actually, Mertens is the bandleader these days.

okay
I stand corrected!

But, wow, I am just surprised that a professional musician like Jeff, who is a major part of Brian's show, would even come out because a fan asked a security guard to summon him!

okay WOW

I mean, c'mon, Jeff answered your "summons" and you were still unhappy?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »

There was no summoning.  There was some kind of misunderstanding earlier so I wanted to apologize for it.  I extended myself to apologize to him....so, how am I the bad guy here? 
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »

Speaking as a complete outsider who has never met the band, I think Jeff gets an unfair rap.  He does not have an easy job and I think he handles it fairly well.

Like Brian, my brother experiences auditory hallucinations and is medicated for it. You have no idea how quickly minding for someone with that condition can turn you into a narc and a terrible nag, especially when you are around them all the time like Jeff is. Think of how difficult it must be for Brian to stay aware and on task when he has so many internal and external distractions (and, possibly, general disinterest). Unfortunately, it falls into Jeff’s lap to keep him on track, even if that means dragging him along and losing some tact.

I know it must be horrifying to see this dynamic at play, especially when the person you perceive to be demeaned is a hero to you.  But could Brian tour successfully without someone playing that part? (whether or not he should be touring is another debate entirely) From what I’ve seen, Jeff’s nagging is always in effort to get Brian to appear at his best to the world. And I’ve never heard Jeff brag about his position.

In summation, I do not think that the examples provided should lead anyone to believe that Jeff is bad.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx