gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681300 Posts in 27632 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 06:04:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" at Dodger Stadium  (Read 85424 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

This is such a cool shot

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »

Somebody has uploaded video of the anthem from near the right field foul pole:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVENbV2DSN4

Sounds nothing remotely like anything having to do with The Beach Boys at all.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »

man the foskett is way too friggin loud!!  i know the concerts won't be like this but sheesh
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

I couldn't discern Brian or Mike. Foskett was definitely loud and proud.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

If I were in charge of mixing the shows, the first thing I would do is turn Mike's microphone up as high as it would go, so when he starts with his really thin bass vox they'd still rattle the stadium.  He sings great he just doesn't have much power anymore and has turned into a really gentle voice.  Then, I'd mix Al, Bruce, and Brian all together so that theirs were a nice solid backup pad, maybe with Al bumped up a little higher than Bruce and Brian.  David/Scott/Jeff/etc. would be non existant.  lol Brian and Bruce would be forced to sing false whether they liked it or not. 

All this crap about Brian not being able to sing falsetto again is bullshit, and if Brian can do it (he clearly can) there's no way in hell Bruce can't do it.  These senior citizens need a good kick in the seat so they can go out there and actually work for it... no showing up and taking a paycheck, dammit get out there and sweat guys!

Autotuned or whatever, Brian's clearly singing false or pretty damn close to it all over the Disney CD and sounds fucking fantastic.  If it sounds different than he sounded in the early 60's, so be it. 
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Interviews/Highlights:  http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=28357722
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

'nother Surfer Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fceHAQ-Rx-k

No mas, por favor.
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »

I know Bruce still has his falsetto. If you find the video from Imus where they are performing a few songs (including the Make Love, Not War song), Bruce is the one hitting the high part at the end of Fun, Fun, Fun.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »

man the foskett is way too friggin loud!!  i know the concerts won't be like this but sheesh

Let's hope to hell not. It's great to see them together, but the Grammy's and now this, it's been Foskett galore with a sprinkle of Mike, and pinch of Brian and nothing else.
OMG, the clip stack-o-tracks posted of the mix in the stadium is worse! It's nothing but Foskett and a faint bit of some other voices. When Brian sang, it sounded nice, but that's it. In fact, Foskett was mixed so much up front that you could hear his guitar blaring over Brian on the bridge. Sigh.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »

I really think it's because they don't have their own sound guy.  Brian's concerts aren't like that, and Mike's concerts don't mix Mike completely out either.  They're just playing strange apperances with sound guys who aren't familiar with or don't care one way or another who's who.  The 'boys are apparently just happy to have the gigs and go along to get along, or don't hear the mix, or whatever. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

Stupid Question:

Today, the Beach Boys all showed up wearing the same shirts.  When was the last time that happened?  Think about that!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

I really think it's because they don't have their own sound guy.  Brian's concerts aren't like that, and Mike's concerts don't mix Mike completely out either.  They're just playing strange apperances with sound guys who aren't familiar with or don't care one way or another who's who.  The 'boys are apparently just happy to have the gigs and go along to get along, or don't hear the mix, or whatever. 

I think so too.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »

I have listened to all available recordings; I heard in on live TV. There is no getting around it: Jeff was like a drunk guy at a show that gets up and pushes the singers out of the way and grabs the mike; it was bad karaoke.  Someone must get him to stop dominating.  I have tried denial; I have tried blaming it on the mix, the sound guys, the position of the stars, the erratic will of Zeus, on Bush and Chaney (and I am a Republican), but you just cannot hear these performances without your face falling to your shoes as you bite your lip to fight back tears. I do not want to see the Jeff Foskett show for 100 bucks a ticket. Today was a disaster, despite how the songs wound up sounding "OK" or "good"  or "solid."  Thus I am revising my initial analysis of the TSSB, in which I thought I heard Al singing out in front (I was wrong).
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

Face it, Brian is connected to Jeff by umbilical cord - like connectivity. All these tour dates, the look of Brian in that chair? You'd have to be a dreamer to think he'll get through this most ambitious tour without a major hiccup. And it'll only take one. To me, it's so painfully obvious. There's nothing Alan or Mike can do. Hate to be so negative.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »

I have listened to all available recordings; I heard in on live TV. There is no getting around it: Jeff was like a drunk guy at a show that gets up and pushes the singers out of the way and grabs the mike; it was bad karaoke.  Someone must get him to stop dominating.  I have tried denial; I have tried blaming it on the mix, the sound guys, the position of the stars, the erratic will of Zeus, on Bush and Chaney (and I am a Republican), but you just cannot hear these performances without your face falling to your shoes as you bite your lip to fight back tears. I do not want to see the Jeff Foskett show for 100 bucks a ticket. Today was a disaster, despite how the songs wound up sounding "OK" or "good"  or "solid."  Thus I am revising my initial analysis of the TSSB, in which I thought I heard Al singing out in front (I was wrong).

Time to cancel the tour, then!

Face it, Brian is connected to Jeff by umbilical cord - like connectivity. All these tour dates, the look of Brian in that chair? You'd have to be a dreamer to think he'll get through this most ambitious tour without a major hiccup. And it'll only take one. To me, it's so painfully obvious. There's nothing Alan or Mike can do. Hate to be so negative.

Really? And we can divine this from looking at a photo of Brian in a chair?

He will be fine.

The tour will be fine.

It will not be to everyone's tastes, but Brian will show up and sing his handful of leads, sing some harmonies, and otherwise chill. It's less daunting than any of his solo tours.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:15:05 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »

The animous thrown at Jeff continues to bewilder me.  The guy gets paid to sing.  He shows up, they decide what he's going to sing, and he does it to the best of his ability.  Hate the sound guy, hate the guys in charge, hate the managers, hate Brian for loving Jeff so much, but dont' hate on Jeff for doing his job. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »

The animous thrown at Jeff continues to bewilder me.  The guy gets paid to sing.  He shows up, they decide what he's going to sing, and he does it to the best of his ability.  Hate the sound guy, hate the guys in charge, hate the managers, hate Brian for loving Jeff so much, but dont' hate on Jeff for doing his job. 

Ron, when you're right, you're right.

And you are so right here.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

Who said anything about hate? Hate is such an ugly word.

No mas, por favor.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2012, 12:21:57 AM »

But how can you be so sure?  Undecided
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

Jeff doesn't sound good.  He didn't always sound that bad, but he does now.  He's getting older like everybody else and the high range is the first to go.  His voice was always thin to begin with.  It was okay as a voice for an outfit like Papa Doo Ron Ron (or whatever that surf band he was in is called), but it's not that good for a Beach Boys band (especially for a highly anticipated reunion tour, I know touring outfits in the past varied in quality).  He needs to be doubled by someone in the band.  His voice sounds best when doubled, and that's what was done much of the time in Brian's band.  Hopefully when the full band is together they'll have two or three guys singing the falsetto parts and not just Jeff.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »

SG & SSB: the safe "Foskett" mix from people who don't usually work with the Beach Boys. No biggie. Won't affect the actual reunion shows, though.
Nicko1234
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »

Bizarrely these clips sound more like a tribute band than some of the Mike and Bruce shows.

Hopefully it`s just a blip...
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2012, 01:48:37 AM »

Jeff doesn't sound good.  He didn't always sound that bad, but he does now.  He's getting older like everybody else and the high range is the first to go.  His voice was always thin to begin with.  It was okay as a voice for an outfit like Papa Doo Ron Ron (or whatever that surf band he was in is called), but it's not that good for a Beach Boys band (especially for a highly anticipated reunion tour, I know touring outfits in the past varied in quality).  He needs to be doubled by someone in the band.  His voice sounds best when doubled, and that's what was done much of the time in Brian's band.  Hopefully when the full band is together they'll have two or three guys singing the falsetto parts and not just Jeff.

His touring band definitely had a little more oomph in that upper range when performing with Taylor. Would be cool to see some of the kids performing with the band if they are at all interested in that. Maybe there'll be a couple surprises along the way.

No mas, por favor.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »

Jeff doesn't just dominate the mix, he dominates everything. I've witnessed this first hand, the way he talks to Brian like he's not just a child, but a stupid child. I was shocked. From that point on I've been predisposed not to like the guy. To me he came across as a nasty, arrogant bully. This is in a situation when they thought no fans were present!

There are two sides in the BW camp. The people who treat Brian like a human being, and those who are milking the cash cow. This is not a statement from me, this comes from inside the band. And the inference was that Jeff is on the latter side.

Who knows what goes on, and changes daily in such a complex situation. People have bad days. But what I witnessed was pretty damning.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:10:02 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »

Quote from:  Iron Horse-Apples
There are two sides in the BW camp. The people who treat Brian like a human being, and those who are milking the cash cow. This is not a statement from me, this comes from inside the band. And the inference was that Jeff is on the latter side.

That's really sad.

I just hope that the 5 BB will perform or sing at least one song alone during the tour. That would be so cool.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx