gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:10:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks Reunion  (Read 4753 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »

"There is a really nice collection of material on there," he said. "Brian still has it. He's written one song ("That's Why God Made the Radio") that's right up there with his best. I was really happy to be able to add my guitar onto that track."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Beach-Boys-are-back-including-the-one-from-3543413.php#ixzz1uKsEueGV

Notice that it is indeed David playing guitar, in that your summer dream style, on the song.  I had wondered this a while ago.
JesusUK
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »

I was really hoping to hear more from David at the Tampa show.  He does quite a bit of backing vocals.  But his lead looks to be relegated to one (or no) songs a night.  I was lucky to get "Hawaii" in Tampa.  Either wear, he looks like he's having more fun than anyone else on the stage!

b
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

From memory, he says he had a lyric from Ray Kennedy, a group of people came around one night and someone in that group rewrote the lyric but he can't remember who. Brian says something like 'I could never get with that lyric'.

That's really interesting, the Ray Kennedy lyrics are pretty funny (unintentionally). They mention living in the ghetto and being coked out. and "Heartbreak city ain't so pretty when you're down in nitty gritty"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »

From memory, he says he had a lyric from Ray Kennedy, a group of people came around one night and someone in that group rewrote the lyric but he can't remember who. Brian says something like 'I could never get with that lyric'.

Has anybody ever really said who wrote what in this song? I'm pretty sure some of the finer details have been lost to time, but man, what a mess. And I really do like the song, I feel bad because I just kinda spoke negatively of it the other day, but I really have to think that the final result probably suffered greatly from too many cooks being in the kitchen.
Yes, the lyrics are tortuous, like Riely's lyrics for "Long Promised Road" and "Feel Flows," although in spite of their overly verbose nature, those two songs' lyrics flow off the tongue much more melifluously than "Sail on Sailor's" lyric does.

"Sail on Sailor" suffers from a lyric that relies on a very simple, childlike rhyme scheme in the bridge... Grumble/Rumble/Tumble/Stumble/Blunder/Thunder/Wonder/Under... and because of the large amount of clumsy consonants in the verse lyrics, it can't be as easy to sing as it would be if, say, Tony Asher or Van Dyke Parks wrote all the words. "Gale swept seaways," for instance, is not easy to sing compared to something with more assonance.

I'd love to hear a fully-Brianized "Sail on Sailor." That would be something to behold.

- B00ts
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »

It's been reported that David sang "Surfin'Safari" last night.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »

I don't remember that happening. he sang Hawaii, I think, and that's about it. but I wasn't paying attention to who was singing it, I was really distracted by everyone in the audience singing along and not saying "surf route"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

I don't remember that happening. he sang Hawaii, I think, and that's about it. but I wasn't paying attention to who was singing it, I was really distracted by everyone in the audience singing along and not saying "surf route"

Yes, scratch that.  It was mistakenly reported as such  in the Beacon thread.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:58 AM »

I think Dave really enjoys singing "Forever" as he did on the BBs's 2008 UK Tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A

Since Dennis himself is singing that song on this tour its not a possibility for him. Things like Do You Wanna Dance and Sail On Sailor have been suggested, but he's happy to let one of the other guys handle those... I think Dave might have another song or two in mind. We'll see as the tour develops. Right now he's really stepping up in the guitar department and focusing on giving that his all.

I was at this show! People were baffled as to why I was so excited to see this guy David Marks up on stage, it took a while to explain the story!  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx