gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:49:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Do Without BWPS  (Read 47624 times)
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »

My favourite version of SMiLE is my own second night recording on minidisc.

SMiLE is incomplete without a ten minute standing ovation after it. I listen to the very last clap.

Absolutely agreed! The second night was truly something special.

If you want to re-live it - or, at least, my fevered ramblings about it - check out this extended essay, replete with back-stage conversations with Darian Sahanaja, Domenic Priore, and, erm, Spritualized's Jason Pierce, plus a whole whack of Smile fans:
http://www.earcandymag.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »

SMiLE

uR TeH ReAL ReBEL EvErY DAmN DAy, SMiLIN eD H.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2012, 05:32:52 AM »

I love BWPS, it's the real deal for me.
BWPS is the little brother of the unfinished 1967 SMiLE and TSS the little brother of BWPS and SMiLEY SMILE the son of TSS.
Only complaint about BWPS is that it doesn't include "With Me Tonight", "He Gives Speeches" & "You're Welcome".

Paulos
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

I've got BWPS on US vinyl headed my way, $36 including shipping, thank you ebay!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

Cute, Kitty.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

I couldn't do without either version of SMiLE. Grin We're very lucky to have both as well as all we've got to look forward to in the future! It all helps to add to Brian and The Beach Boys legacy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »

Cute, Kitty.

No, Ed, it's "kiddie".   As in, "There's a few kiddies on this board".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »

Just stumbled over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAHdi23z3cg

"We released the original SMiLE album in 2004" - you would get stoned if you posted that on this board! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »

you would get stoned if you posted that on this board! Cheesy

I mean "lapidated" of course. Wink 2

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Random question, does anyone know if the Canadian and US pressings of the vinyl are the same?  I wanna say when I got mine off amazon a couple years ago, the warehouse it came from was Canadian or something, and it's nagged at me every so often.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:56:20 AM by Runaways » Logged
MBE
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I've never spelled it that way. It's too cute.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »

BWPS. Bwps. Bwoops.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

The ending of "On A Holiday" is best part of BWPS.  "Whisperin' winds..."  Too bad it wasn't recorded at that tempo and with that instrumentation with the original Beach Boys vocals.  The Smiley-Smile paste-on at the end of "Holidays" on TSS was a bummer. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »

Finally herd BWPS on vinyl for the first time last night (and my first time hearing the whole thing since TSS came out) and it lived up to all the hype. It doesn't even sound like the same album to me... and... except for a few things (no BB vocals) I was surprised that I like it better than the original sessions. Sonically it is like TSS is a box of 32 Crayola Crayons and BWPS (vinyl) is a box of 64 Crayolas.  Grin
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

Brian's not yelled old man vocals are very poignant.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »

Finally herd BWPS on vinyl for the first time last night (and my first time hearing the whole thing since TSS came out) and it lived up to all the hype. It doesn't even sound like the same album to me... and... except for a few things (no BB vocals) I was surprised that I like it better than the original sessions. Sonically it is like TSS is a box of 32 Crayola Crayons and BWPS (vinyl) is a box of 64 Crayolas.  Grin

Well said.  Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »

My favourite version of SMiLE is my own second night recording on minidisc.

SMiLE is incomplete without a ten minute standing ovation after it. I listen to the very last clap.

Absolutely agreed! The second night was truly something special.

If you want to re-live it - or, at least, my fevered ramblings about it - check out this extended essay, replete with back-stage conversations with Darian Sahanaja, Domenic Priore, and, erm, Spritualized's Jason Pierce, plus a whole whack of Smile fans:
http://www.earcandymag.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

Just saw this - absolutely love the Jason Pierce quote  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sav-Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2012, 04:01:34 AM »

The live performance was utterly sublime, and conceived/executed as such, I agree with all of this.

There's always a 'but' on this board, so respectfully, I'd offer this: the cd did not ultimately (and I think probably could not) capture the magic of the evening, because it was conceived as a live piece, and it was recorded to replicate that live production as closely as possible. So the recording was pretty much geared to putting down all the live parts on record as per the live arrangement, which causes some head-scratching. As a listening experience, the distractions aren't just the fake harpsichord here, the odd bit of 'lost in performance translation' (cf bull horn on 'holidays') there...from a production standpoint, and perhaps conceptually, it needed some further tweaking.

But that's a quibble. A major, and important undertaking, an unforgettable experience, and an indispensable document of a crucial moment in musical history.

Agreed. I watched the '04 live performance of BWPS (on Youtube) again last week, and it was even more incredible, b/c you could actually see, for instance, The Stockholm Horns & Strings band put on the firehats (on "Mrs. O' Leary") and display/eat vegetables (on "My Vega-tables"), not to mention that Brian looked absolutely happy and animated! Hearing him chuckle during the "Workshop" segment and watching him clap his hands and singing along during "My Vega-tables" was contagious and you could see it w/ the rest of his band. Obviously, w/ the studio version, you can't see what was going on, since it's audio only.

But yeah, the fact that BWPS as a CD really was and is a masterpiece after all the hype was nothing short of a miracle. Even if it ultimately isn't exactly the way Brian and the BBs would have done it had it come out in 1967, it's the closest thing to a "finished" Smile we have, and I think it'll be remembered as a classic in the form that it is. Only Brian himself would know how close (or not close) BWPS is to the way it would have been had it come out as a 1967 BB record, and I haven't read any quotes anywhere where Brian said anything about this (and I suspect that he might not remember everything from that period, since he was doing a lot of drugs at that time--just a guess on my part). It's certainly one of Brian's "must-have" solo CDs.  TSS is an absolute must as well, but even though some of the '67 instrumental tracks may be better than they are on the '04 version (especially "Do You Like Worms"), we have to remember that TSS still isn't a completed 1967 Smile per se--that's why it's called The Smile Sessions. The "real" 1967 Smile wasn't finished, and we'll never know how that particular Smile would have turned out. I think that doing BWPS probably helped bring some closure to Brian in terms of ending (or at least reducing) any remaining paranoia he might have regarding that whole period in his life. And it could be argued that had Brian and his band not done BWPS, TSS may never have been released. So it's a winning situation for both CDs, and I'll continue to play both of them for years to come.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:07:27 AM by Sav-Man » Logged
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04:04 AM »

Well said.  Smiley

The above helped finally made me borrow my mates vinyl and play it back on another mates fancy deck/studio setup
WELLLLLLLLLL WOOOOOORRRRTHHHY of all the accolades mentioned on here - GREAT MIX, sonically its my fav mix atm - everyone should check it out
really nice!!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2012, 04:06:41 AM »

And it could be argued that had Brian and his band not done BWPS, TSS may never have been released.
... at least not in the sequence (1st disc) that we now have.  Smiley
And yeah, obviously BWPS also served as a huge advertising campaign for all things SMiLE. It made the general public 'aware' of what was still gathering dust in the archives.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2012, 05:05:05 AM »

Even if it ultimately isn't exactly the way Brian and the BBs would have done it had it come out in 1967, it's the closest thing to a "finished" Smile we have, and I think it'll be remembered as a classic in the form that it is. Only Brian himself would know how close (or not close) BWPS is to the way it would have been had it come out as a 1967 BB record

And do you know? It doesn't even matter!

TSS is an absolute must as well, but even though some of the '67 instrumental tracks may be better than they are on the '04 version (especially "Do You Like Worms"), we have to remember that TSS still isn't a completed 1967 Smile per se--that's why it's called The Smile Sessions. The "real" 1967 Smile wasn't finished, and we'll never know how that particular Smile would have turned out.

Exactly!

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

For me, it's the live version of BWPS, as captured in 5.1, on the Burbank DVD. The studio recording feels relatively - airless - by comparison. And yes, I agree that all the new changes and additions are superb, apt, and now indelible.

I, too, hear them all the time in my head.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

For me, it's the live version of BWPS, as captured in 5.1, on the Burbank DVD. The studio recording feels relatively - airless - by comparison. And yes, I agree that all the new changes and additions are superb, apt, and now indelible.

I, too, hear them all the time in my head.

Yeah , i bought the DVD too, seems abit overtly 'jolly' to me?
I've watched some youtube clips taken from some gigs and, although the sound doesnt compare - the actual vibe/performace is pretty different.
And that itself is also diff in vibe to TSS, these are abit more solem/reverant/spiritual - Ideally I'd love to have abit more of the weight of the TSS vibe coming through in the live stuff, i mean the cumulative/some of its contents vibe

may have waffled alittle there and muddied what i mean.. o well
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »

Yeah , i bought the DVD too, seems abit overtly 'jolly' to me?

Hey, the album name is "SMiLE", did you expect dark, spooky tunes? Wink 2

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »

It really pisses me off when people say Brian isn't really in charge of his solo career, that it's all a show put on by his family and his bandmates.  There's no proof that such is the case, it's just really cynical.  If you watch Brian in interviews, he seems genuinely interested in what he's doing.  There is no doubt that Smile would have never been finished without Brian allowing it and overseeing it.  So he had a lot of help, give the guy a break.  One of the reasons Smile fell apart in the first place was that he was too determined to do it all himself, he was being overworked.  This is the way Brian should work, just the right amount without putting him in a stressful situation.  But it is still very much his work.  Those are still his arrangements.  That's still his music.  Just listen to it and be glad it exists and shut up.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx