gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Do Without BWPS  (Read 47615 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »

...Regarding the studio record: it's a fine fine thing (a spectacular thing, speaking from a perspective of music history), I totally love it and the vinyl is simply one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

I have to say the same, i originally bought the record last year while in Amsterdam (yes, some of us go there for music purposes only!) and was immedeatly blown away by it's far superior sound to the CD. However, I believe I remember reading that is was remixed/EQ'd for the Vinyl. Was this true, as it really paid off!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

...Regarding the studio record: it's a fine fine thing (a spectacular thing, speaking from a perspective of music history), I totally love it and the vinyl is simply one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

I have to say the same, i originally bought the record last year while in Amsterdam (yes, some of us go there for music purposes only!) and was immedeatly blown away by it's far superior sound to the CD. However, I believe I remember reading that is was remixed/EQ'd for the Vinyl. Was this true, as it really paid off!

I am kicking myself for not buying it on Amazon last year when it was only $25. Now Amazon doesn't even sell it, and the prices elsewhere are quite steep.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »

I am kicking myself for not buying it on Amazon last year when it was only $25. Now Amazon doesn't even sell it, and the prices elsewhere are quite steep.

It was 19 Euros, and are you in England or america? you can get them on eBay for about £20 sometimes, but that's on eBay UK. Also, I wasn't too sure if i wanted it, I only really impulse bought it, but this was after I found the GV/H&V RSD 78 AFTER RSD for 15 euros in another shop. that was a great trip :D

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »

It was 19 Euros, and are you in England or america? you can get them on eBay for about £20 sometimes, but that's on eBay UK. Also, I wasn't too sure if i wanted it, I only really impulse bought it, but this was after I found the GV/H&V RSD 78 AFTER RSD for 15 euros in another shop. that was a great trip :D

RSD 78 for that cheap??? Great trip indeed!

I'm in America, and the prices on ebay here are pretty high. Later in the summer I'll probably be less wary of spending such amounts on the album.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »

I love BWPS for many of the reasons already given above, but I hold a faint candle for the 10th (or more likely 20th... please God not 40th) anniversary remaster with decent bass and a collection of demos and alternate takes... like Dom Priore said in his "Lost Masterpiece" book, the bass just aint in the right place!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »

Funny this popped up. I just listened to BWPS for the first time since TSS arrived last fall and it kind of pales in comparison to me now.  Brian's singing is tops on BWPS? I would not call his singing tops on BWRG and it's far better than his singing on Smile. Some of the Lyrics add and some seem really out of place. The "hot as hell ...placid pool" stuff for example. I really appreciate what was done to get Smile released in 2004, but now more than ever I am in the camp with those that were somewhat dismissive about it at the time, claiming it was not what Brian intended back in 1966. Holy Bee's thread about it being a "normal" little over 30 minute album that was almost done makes a lot more sense to me.
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

I know I'll take a lot of flack for this but, BWPS is (for me) THE essential Smile listening experience.

Part of me can't believe I just wrote that, but I believe it to be true.

As someone who was introduced to Smile via the GV box sex, and who sought out boot after boot of the unreleased material, and who forked out the $150 USD for the TSS box without complaint, I feel confident in saying the original material is sublimely dark, mysterious, psychedelic, transformative, etc, etc. I'm not trying tp denegrate or dismiss those sessions or Brian's genius in any way. I've at times worshiped  them (literally prayed to Our Prayer), Brian and the Boys (I've seen as many of his/their shows as distance and money would allow).

That said, the second movement of BWPS (on vinyl) is THE highlight of Brian Wilson's career and perhaps his most important contribution to pop music history (Pet Sounds included). The suite of Wonderful/Song For Children/CIFOTM/Surf's Up is breathtaking in it's beauty. It is a 10+ minute symphony and perfect in every way. I cry every time I listen to it, and I'm not a guy who cries easily or often. 

The entirety of the BWPS stands on it's own, without any tip of the hat to the 67 sessions. It is a transformative musical experience. It didn't need a released TSS to give it context. It blew people away who were completely unfamilar with the original tapes, my family and friends included. It cemented Brian's place as the most important American composer of the Rock and Roll era in the minds of musicians and fanboys alike.

As such, BWPS is the vital and most irreplaceable part of the Smile story. It is Brian's final celebratory triumph over history, drugs, disease, abuse and time. It is an artists completed vision, which despite hours of interesting sessions, alternate takes and undiscovered fragments TSS can never be. The result was that it was many experts pick for Album of the Year, was the most highly rated album of the year according to Metacritic's compliation of reviews and also resulted in the only Grammy any original member of the BB's has received (with all due respect to Bruce).

Anyone who would discard BWPS because of the release of TSS is, pardon my bluntness, an idiot.

Your mileage mary vary, but to dismiss BWPS is to underestimate, or miss completely, the redemptive and healing power of the music, the soul and the story of Brian Wilson.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

I know I'll take a lot of flack for this but, BWPS is (for me) THE essential Smile listening experience.

As someone who was introduced to Smile via the GV box sex, and who sought out boot after boot of the unreleased material, and who forked out the $150 USD for the TSS box without complaint, I feel confident in saying the original material is sublimely dark, mysterious, psychedelic, transformative, etc, etc. I'm not trying tp denegrate or dismiss those sessions or Brian's genius in any way. I've at times worshiped  them (literally prayed to Our Prayer), Brian and the Boys (I've seen as many of his/their shows as distance and money would allow).

That said, the second movement of BWPS (on vinyl) is THE highlight of Brian Wilson's career and perhaps his most important contribution to pop music history (Pet Sounds included). The suite of Wonderful/Song For Children/CIFOTM/Surf's Up is breathtaking in it's beauty. It is a 10+ minute symphony and perfect in every way. I cry every time I listen to it, and I'm not a guy who cries easily or often. 

The entirety of the BWPS stands on it's own, without any tip of the hat to the 67 sessions. It is a transformative musical experience. It didn't need a released TSS to give it context. It blew people away who were completely unfamilar with the original tapes, my family and friends included. It cemented Brian's place as the most important American composer of the Rock and Roll era in the minds of musicians and fanboys alike.

As such, BWPS is the vital and most irreplaceable part of the Smile story. It is Brian's final celebratory triumph over history, drugs, disease, abuse and time. It is an artists completed vision, which despite hours of interesting sessions, alternate takes and undiscovered fragments TSS can never be. The result was that it was many experts pick for Album of the Year, was the most highly rated album of the year according to Metacritic's compliation of reviews and also resulted in the only Grammy any original member of the BB's has received (with all due respect to Bruce).

Anyone who would discard BWPS because of the release of TSS is, pardon my bluntness, an idiot.

Your mileage mary vary, but to dismiss BWPS is to underestimate, or miss completely, the redemptive and healing power of the music, the soul and the story of Brian Wilson.

DAMMIT!!! I missed out on that one! Wink
______

Kidding aside, it's a shame that BWPS isn't more popular, but likewise for Pet Sounds.

I love the clean sound of BWPS, and though I prefer vintage H&V, GV, Fire, and Cabinessence, I prefer BWPS's Wonderful, CIFOTM, Surf's Up, Holidays, DaDa, Wanna Be Around/etc.

That being said, I think both releases are equally important/beautiful.

Paulos
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

RSD 78 for that cheap??? Great trip indeed!

I'm in America, and the prices on ebay here are pretty high. Later in the summer I'll probably be less wary of spending such amounts on the album.

I've been looking for BWPS on vinyl for a few weeks now, there was one on ebay the other day that I bid on but because I wasn't paying attention at the last few minutes of the auction I was outbidded by 10p! It went for £10.10, gutted as all the others I've seen are quite expensive.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

Gah, what a shame!

Quite odd that the vinyl BWPS was upped in price/taken off of Amazon right when TSS came out.
______

To add to the SMiLE talk, I had a dream the other night that I was showing my friends the song 'Cabinessence' and upon playing it (and it was actual song) I saw a tall white wall before me that encapsulated the music. Upon remembering my dream later on the next day I equated this wall to represent the incredible wall of sound that 'Cabinessence' is. Kinda neat Grin

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

Yeah, after seeing this topic, I gave my BWPS LP a spin, and boy, does it sound good! It's just that feeling of completeness that you don't quite get with TSS, and the transitions are exquisite. So glad I bought it when I did!

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

There are a couple BWPS records on discogs for $25 for you guys that are looking for it.  You want US pressings btw.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »

I still find Smile 2004 as the listening highlight of my life in music. For me the premiere in London was the peak. That said, I love it for many of the reasons cited here...the second movement, Holiday, In Blue Hawaii.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
SBonilla
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »

There are a couple BWPS records on discogs for $25 for you guys that are looking for it.  You want US pressings btw.
I sold my sealed copy recently.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »

Surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with most of this post, especially the part about the Wonderful Suite.  In fact, I'm not sure there is a better part on the album than the clarinet melody on Song for Children.  I also like the Roll Plymouth Rock lyrics and even Blue Hawaii.  I prefer some classic songs like Good Vibrations (from Purple Chick), Surf's Up, and Cabinessence, but BWPS is a phenomenal album.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »

As someone who was introduced to Smile via the GV box sex, and who sought out boot after boot of the unreleased material, and who forked out the $150 USD for the TSS box without complaint, I feel confident in saying the original material is sublimely dark, mysterious, psychedelic, transformative, etc, etc. I'm not trying tp denegrate or dismiss those sessions or Brian's genius in any way. I've at times worshiped  them (literally prayed to Our Prayer), Brian and the Boys (I've seen as many of his/their shows as distance and money would allow).

Surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with most of this post, especially the part about the Wonderful Suite.  In fact, I'm not sure there is a better part on the album than the clarinet melody on Song for Children.  I also like the Roll Plymouth Rock lyrics and even Blue Hawaii.  I prefer some classic songs like Good Vibrations (from Purple Chick), Surf's Up, and Cabinessence, but BWPS is a phenomenal album.

I concur with the sentiments expr.... d*mn, you guys are so right!!!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Paulos
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

Thanks for that, only thing is shipping LPs from the USA to UK is quite expensive. What's the difference between the US and Euro pressings?
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:21 AM »

Yes, BWPS is an artists completed vision, just not Brian's. Maybe Darian's. To say that "the entirety of BWPS stands on it's own without any tip of the hat to the '67 sessions" is preposterous.  BWPS IS the 66-67 sessions re-recorded and then assembled into a form that works as a whole. I'm glad it was released and it was an unexpected dream to see Brian and his band perform it live on the Smile tour. As someone who did not own piles of Smile boots and then heard  BWPS I thought the 2004 version was fantastic. Now that I have heard TSS, BWPS is still great to me but I am convinced that Brian's original vision of Smile was a lot different. Aside from the Beach Boys voices being superior, there is an energy from the instruments/players themselves on TSS that is missing on BWPS. That energy came from Brian and went through everyone involved at the time.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »

I hate to say this, but I can't get into BWPS since the TSS came out. I respect BWPS as huge achievement in getting smile songs finished and released, but the original sessions have a vibe that BWPS doesn't. The BBs with the wrecking crew on smile cannot be beat in my opinion. I also feel like some of the BWPS songs drag Brian's changed voice along.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:02:12 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »

Remember, dear readers, that there is a difference between the European pressing and the American pressing of BWPS on vinyl.

Unusually, the European pressing is inferior. For the full-on BWPS experience you need the American pressing.

Side two is quite possibly the most sublime piece of popular music of the last 50 years.

BWPS is an integral part of the SMiLE legend. The fact that TSS have been released doesn't take anything away from BWPS. It is what it is, Brian and Van Dyke (with a little help, no doubt) finishing off something they left 37 years earlier. The instrumental segues, the new lyrics (especially Holidays) all fit perfectly. I remember when hearing an unofficial recording of a RFH show and thinking "Oh wow, that's how the jigsaw fits together".

Then seeing the show in August before the LP was released...knowing pretty much how it all went and flowed...was a great experience.
SBonilla
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

I hate to say this, but I can't get into BWPS since the TSS came out. I respect BWPS as huge achievement in getting smile songs finished and released, but the original sessions have a vibe that BWPS doesn't. The BBs with the wrecking crew on smile cannot be beat in my opinion. I also feel like some of the BWPS songs drag Brian's changed voice along.
I enjoyed seeing it performed at Carnegie Hall, but the album never did that much for me.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »

I loved BWPS when it first came out. And for a while it was "definitive" to me. And I basically thought it was Brian's best work. But then after a while, I realized I much prefer Pet Sounds and things like "Please Let Me Wonder" and also Brian's Sunflower work. So honestly, I kinda fell out of love with SMiLE and accepted The Beach Boys version as an unfinished thing, while being appreciative that we got official, completed Beach Boys versions of "Surf's Up", "Cabinessence", and "Heroes And Villains."

However, the release of The SMiLE Sessions got me really excited and gave me a re-appreciation of things like "Do You Like Worms" and "Child Is Father Of The Man." And after having lived with The SMiLE Sessions for a while now, I gotta say that I prefer The SMiLE Sessions versions of things like "Worms" and "Child", even if the BWPS versions have verse vocals and such. The versions from the '60s just have that certain factor that make them so much more enjoyable, even if they don't have those same parts. However, there are a few circumstances where I prefer neither TSS or the BWPS versions. And those would be "Surf's Up" from the 1971 album of the same name, and "Cabinessence" from 20/20. I think those versions of those songs are much better, and especially I think Carl's vocal on the first part of "Surf's Up" works much better than fitting Brian's part into it. Plus it makes Brian's part on the second movement sound even more touching when it comes in. But that's just me.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »

Remember, dear readers, that there is a difference between the European pressing and the American pressing of BWPS on vinyl.

Unusually, the European pressing is inferior. For the full-on BWPS experience you need the American pressing.

What is so inferior about it? Assuming I have the European version, it sounds fantastic - what's wrong with it?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »

Yes, BWPS is an artists completed vision, just not Brian's. Maybe Darian's.

Nonsense. Darian was what he has always said he was -- an assistant. The ultimate decisions on the material included, and on the sequencing, were Brian and Van Dyke's. People have talked to Darian and other members of Brian's band about this, and the general response to calling it "Darian's work" is that if Darian had actually sequenced BWPS, it would have been far different (and more peculiar!) than what we got.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »

Yes, BWPS is an artists completed vision, just not Brian's. Maybe Darian's.

Nonsense. Darian was what he has always said he was -- an assistant. The ultimate decisions on the material included, and on the sequencing, were Brian and Van Dyke's. People have talked to Darian and other members of Brian's band about this, and the general response to calling it "Darian's work" is that if Darian had actually sequenced BWPS, it would have been far different (and more peculiar!) than what we got.

I said MAYBE Darian. My point was Brian sure as heck was not the one that got the Smile 2004 version going or finished. At this stage in Brian's life/career the assistant/s do most of the work and Brian's the guy who comes in and says OK. That's the way it all appears to me. TSS were the result of Brian doing most of the work and the assistants saying OK. BWPS was the opposite and that's why it now seems lacking to me were as TSS even "unfinished" seems far better ......... to me anyway.

The other thing about BWPS that changed for me after TSS release is the undeniable fact that it just would not have been the same record in '66 as '04. A lot of Smile "experts", many of you folks, had been saying such all along. It just never really hit me until I played BWPS yesterday and I'm now hung up on the fact that it was way too long with way too much material to have fit into the intended 30 some minutes in '66. And TSS disc 1 mirror of the '04 version is therefore also way too long. Even though I love it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx