gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:01:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Do Without BWPS  (Read 47628 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »

...for the following reasons:

1. it is a very graceful record by one of pop's greatest artists and it is executed beautifully in all respects - and the singing by BW is tops too, the patina of aging only adds to the experience;

2. BWPS is important because seven years after its release it turned out to have been the template for re-constructing the orginal set of compositions that was left unfinished some 44 years earlier;

3. I cannot get the added lyrics out of my head, they're entirely fitting and in the vein of SMiLE itself, whether they are or are not similar to what was intended in 1967;

4. the added instrumental bridges on BWPS are indispensable to this listener; and they are firmly lodged in his brains also;

5. BWPS, and its 2004 live performance at the Royal Festival Hall, together form a totality that may well be the finest musical experience yours truly will ever have had in his entire life.

...and you?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »

I agree with #4 completely.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:07:07 AM »

All excellent and irrefutable. I still prefer the vocal performances of the 66/67 sessions but what you've said is spot on, Don.  BW – responsible for two of the greatest musical moments in history.  And then some…

“We live in divisive times.”
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:52:18 AM »

Great post. I agree. For me it's about four essential songs.
1. H&V: There's just more power and rock & roll to the bWPS version
2. Wonderful: I can't live without that wonderful horn or trumpet that plays over the chorus
3. Surfs up: Same thing, can't live without the powerful execution of "BROOOOTHER JOOOOHHN"
4. Vegetables: I just can't listen to TSS-version, it's not tight(rythm and other aspects) and goes on and on.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:54:08 AM »

The live performance was utterly sublime, and conceived/executed as such, I agree with all of this.

There's always a 'but' on this board, so respectfully, I'd offer this: the cd did not ultimately (and I think probably could not) capture the magic of the evening, because it was conceived as a live piece, and it was recorded to replicate that live production as closely as possible. So the recording was pretty much geared to putting down all the live parts on record as per the live arrangement, which causes some head-scratching. As a listening experience, the distractions aren't just the fake harpsichord here, the odd bit of 'lost in performance translation' (cf bull horn on 'holidays') there...from a production standpoint, and perhaps conceptually, it needed some further tweaking.

But that's a quibble. A major, and important undertaking, an unforgettable experience, and an indispensable document of a crucial moment in musical history.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:57:30 AM »

One of the outstanding bits of BWPS for me is the lyrics to Holidays. Much missed on T'SS version.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »

One of the outstanding bits of BWPS for me is the lyrics to Holidays. Much missed on T'SS version.

Yes! Isn't that 'Lazy Mister Moon' that I'm hearing right now?  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:00:41 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »

Watch the Beautiful Dreamer documentary if you need a refresher on the awesomeness that is BWPS.

I still remember the first time I heard that. Heroes & Villains just about blew my mind out the top of my head.And that's song number 2!

No mas, por favor.
Paulos
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:14 AM »

BWPS is still great and always will be, I listened to it a few weeks ago for the first time since the Smile Sessions came out and it stands up on its on merits. Regardless of any flaws it is great to hear finished versions of CIFOTM, Look, Roll Plymouth Rock etc.

2. Wonderful: I can't live without that wonderful horn or trumpet that plays over the chorus
3. Surfs up: Same thing, can't live without the powerful execution of "BROOOOTHER JOOOOHHN"
4. Vegetables: I just can't listen to TSS-version, it's not tight(rythm and other aspects) and goes on and on.

I'm unsure what you mean by this, the horn/trumpet on the chorus is present on the TSS and BWPS versions.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:40:34 AM »

I've watched the DVD a gazillion times, most times with a bottle of wine after a rough day, and when it's over I... SMiLE. Yeah, that's Brian Wilson. Regarding the studio record: it's a fine fine thing (a spectacular thing, speaking from a perspective of music history), I totally love it and the vinyl is simply one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

Brian Wilsn presents SMiLE ... lives!!

(Thank you Darian for making all this possible!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:43:49 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »

1. Child Is The Father Of The Man Vocals
2. Song For The Children Vocals
3. On A Holiday Vocals
4. In Blue Hawaii Vocals
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:16 AM »

3. On A Holiday Vocals
4. In Blue Hawaii Vocals

Just reading this lifts my spirits...  Smiley

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:16:36 AM »

3. On A Holiday Vocals
4. In Blue Hawaii Vocals

Smiley Each of these vocals fit those songs perfectly, I'm satisfied with every one of them. As soon as I went to purchase TSS I was going to delete BWPS off my computer but I  just couldn't do so for those reasons.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:35 AM »

3. On A Holiday Vocals
4. In Blue Hawaii Vocals

Smiley Each of these vocals fit those songs perfectly, I'm satisfied with every one of them. As soon as I went to purchase TSS I was going to delete BWPS off my computer but I  just couldn't do so for those reasons.

The phrase 'Easy My Child...' and what follows always brings me close to tears...

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:31 AM »

DVD Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6G_SK-N6Iw

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »

Blue Hawaii vocals are a stand-out, for sure!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:52 AM »

Blue Hawaii vocals are a stand-out, for sure!
Summer of 2007 it was the only track on my mp3player for weeks.. walking to work through the woods by the lake and playing In Blue Hawaii over and over.. ah, good times.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 03:53:27 AM »

Absolutely. They really seemed to look to Smiley and Lei'd in Hawai to capture the vibe on those lyrics. They worked really, really well.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »

BWPS is still great and always will be, I listened to it a few weeks ago for the first time since the Smile Sessions came out and it stands up on its on merits. Regardless of any flaws it is great to hear finished versions of CIFOTM, Look, Roll Plymouth Rock etc.

I'm unsure what you mean by this, the horn/trumpet on the chorus is present on the TSS and BWPS versions.

Right but it's played differently on TSS. It's more in a restrained  manner, the whole chorus is more subdued on TSS.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »

3. On A Holiday Vocals
4. In Blue Hawaii Vocals

The phrase 'Easy My Child...' and what follows always brings me close to tears...
that's how beautiful it is Smiley whenever I hear Brian sing that it gives me goosebumps.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

Ha! C'est moi at 0.38 – "Glasgow"!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »

Right but it's played differently on TSS. It's more in a restrained  manner, the whole chorus is more subdued on TSS.

I agree - the overall sound of Wonderful on BWPS is amazing.
______

To add to Don's list: Brian singing 'Long, long ago, long ago," in Holidays is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

And the only thing that irritates me about BWPS is the instrumental track for 'Roll Plymouth Rock' - I wish they would've tried a bit harder to get that edgier sound of the '66 recording.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »

And the only thing that irritates me about BWPS is the instrumental track for 'Roll Plymouth Rock' - I wish they would've tried a bit harder to get that edgier sound of the '66 recording.
Sounds to me like they didn't try in the first place. This is a different SMiLE, and I like the somewhat lighter, sweeter tone on a few tracks. It's a nice variation to the original recordings we have from bootlegs and the SMiLE Sessions.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »

Why no Oscar for co-starring in the best Music Documentary then? I mean, the Academy Rules don't specify a minimum length as to such a performance, do they?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »

Awesome.  Cool
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx