gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine - A Postcard from California - official Video - HD  (Read 12058 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8vx2njD_EU

Highlight at 4.40  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:58:36 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

Hell yeah! BBs are back. Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

Nice to see the snippet of the PSA there. 

Love the candid footage of Brian and Al recording together.   It's really weird to see Brian so relaxed and funny...he's totally not that way in public.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:12:35 PM by Justin » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »

Love al but I hope he hasn't written any songs on the new album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

Neat (if amateurishly edited) little video.  McCartney's appearance seems totally random.  Also the appearance of the Beach Boys for "Don't Fight The Sea" is open to some questions.  They're simply singing along to Jardine's version.  Does this mean they haven't rerecorded the song for the new album?  Nice to see a relaxed Brian. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »

Neat (if amateurishly edited) little video.  McCartney's appearance seems totally random.  Also the appearance of the Beach Boys for "Don't Fight The Sea" is open to some questions.  They're simply singing along to Jardine's version.  Does this mean they haven't rerecorded the song for the new album?  Nice to see a relaxed Brian.  

It's weird, because all of the guys there (other than Marks) are actually singing on the already-released version. So it's the Beach Boys miming to an Al Jardine solo track, a solo track which is actually more of a "Beach Boys" track since there are five of them on it.

Looks like somebody already knew about the upcoming PSA and grabbed McCartney back in February at the grammys for literally five seconds to add a cameo to it. It's one of those weird things where it's cool to see various people pop up on those things, but also cringe-worthy since they clearly are on their way to the bathroom or their dressing room for a sandwich or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

Love the candid footage of Brian and Al recording together.   It's really weird to see Brian so relaxed and funny...he's totally not that way in public.

Yeah, I'd love to see all the studio footage. Interesting to note that the footage shows Brian doing a pass at part of the lead vocal for the title track, "A Postcard from California." Too bad Al couldn't have added a version with some Brian lead vocals as a bonus track or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »

Thanks for posting that Youtube!  I'm looking forward to hearing the newer tracks.

The stuff that has been out is very fine work, and I find it "retro" while being "visionary" with the environmental themes. 

Including Carl's vocals is a real strength.   

Thanks again for the video clip link.  Wink
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

Look, I got lost in the process of release and recording of this. I think I first listened to the samples like 4 years ago.
Still, this is so endearing to watch and listen. Here's a guy we all love, with his beautiful voice, putting together an album -that is so special to him- to the best of his ability. I know Al has been criticized as a solo artist/songwriter a lot recently on this board, but he has to be praised for his honesty and care.

Now, as I haven't been following all this... Could anyone point if and when his release/promotion schedule has been determined by the BBs reunion?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:27:42 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »

"You and your ... voice!"  Grin

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:55:09 AM »

Stars & Stripes Vol. II is here..  Grin

No, no.. I really like Postcard. And that video. Awesome every time to see the BBs reunited doing something.

Oh and yeah, that clip of Brian pushing Al is hilarious.  3D If that's the atmosphere in the reunion camp, I have no worries. At all.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »

http://open.spotify.com/album/3LJJ1Mejz8lYm8dxZdeXao

New version with bonus tracks on Spotify, btw.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »

"You and your ... voice!"  Grin

Love it.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »

Does this mean they haven't rerecorded the song for the new album?

I don't know why so many people think they re-recorded it. IIRC all that was said is that a video was shot for that song and that it would be used for some campaign. Then all of a sudden some people on this board started to talk about a re-recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »

http://open.spotify.com/album/3LJJ1Mejz8lYm8dxZdeXao

New version with bonus tracks on Spotify, btw.

Carl's vocal on "WoL" is... not very good: very much a placeholder - I'd go so far as to say, it shouldn't have been used.. And the rest of the song is not dissimilar to the title track, as regards the derivative nature. I can spot five riffs from different BB hits.

That said, I like "CD" very much - The Cros is as cool as ever, and Glen's vocal is just stellar.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »

I don't know why so many people think they re-recorded it. IIRC all that was said is that a video was shot for that song and that it would be used for some campaign. Then all of a sudden some people on this board started to talk about a re-recording.

Wasn't aware they were shooting a promotional video for it.  Thought I had read somewhere they were going to be including the song on the new album; either the version on Jardine's album or a new recording of it altogether. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »

Wasn't aware they were shooting a promotional video for it.  Thought I had read somewhere they were going to be including the song on the new album; either the version on Jardine's album or a new recording of it altogether. 

Nope.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »

Neat (if amateurishly edited) little video.  McCartney's appearance seems totally random...

I'm quite surprised how poorly edited this "official" EPK is; terrible audio transitions and little mistakes like slip frames being left in really do reveal the amateurish nature of the production. And that clip of McCartney at the Grammys is an embarassing attempt to shoehorn him in just so they can claim he's in the video.

On the plus side, the behind-the-scenes footage is fun. I have to think that the footage of the Beach Boys miming to "Don't Fight The Sea" was shot for a purpose other than this particular EPK since the production values are higher. Is this song under consideration for a video promotion for Al's album...or as one for the upcoming Beach Boys album?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »

Neat (if amateurishly edited) little video.  McCartney's appearance seems totally random...

I'm quite surprised how poorly edited this "official" EPK is; terrible audio transitions and little mistakes like slip frames being left in really do reveal the amateurish nature of the production. And that clip of McCartney at the Grammys is an embarassing attempt to shoehorn him in just so they can claim he's in the video.

On the plus side, the behind-the-scenes footage is fun. I have to think that the footage of the Beach Boys miming to "Don't Fight The Sea" was shot for a purpose other than this particular EPK since the production values are higher. Is this song under consideration for a video promotion for Al's album...or as one for the upcoming Beach Boys album?

One blurb I remember reading suggested they were doing some “DFTS” footage for some sort of “Public Service Announcement.” Whether this would be just glimpses of footage or a full-on “video” for the song, I don’t know.

I agree, the best stuff in that video is the candid studio footage. I’d love to see more of Brian and Al working together especially.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »

...One blurb I remember reading suggested they were doing some “DFTS” footage for some sort of “Public Service Announcement.” Whether this would be just glimpses of footage or a full-on “video” for the song, I don’t know...

Right - the PSA thing slipped my mind. It will be interesting to see if this surfaces and how.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »

Oh and yeah, that clip of Brian pushing Al is hilarious.  3D If that's the atmosphere in the reunion camp, I have no worries. At all.

Well, it was the atmosphere some four years ago ... which is roughly when Brian's vocals on that album were recorded.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »

Oh and yeah, that clip of Brian pushing Al is hilarious.  3D If that's the atmosphere in the reunion camp, I have no worries. At all.

Well, it was the atmosphere some four years ago ... which is roughly when Brian's vocals on that album were recorded.

Most likely the session was specifically June 10, 2007. Brian and Al played together on 6/9 in Monterey, then recorded the next day in Big Sur, and then played Saratoga the next day, 6/11.

Seems like it was a busy day, with Brian adding vocals to “Drivin’”, “Honkin’ Down the Highway”, an unreleased bit on “A Postcard from California”, and possibly additional work on “Don’t Fight the Sea.”
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:44:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

Carl's vocal on "WoL" is... not very good: very much a placeholder - I'd go so far as to say, it shouldn't have been used.. And the rest of the song is not dissimilar to the title track, as regards the derivative nature. I can spot five riffs from different BB hits.

That said, I like "CD" very much - The Cros is as cool as ever, and Glen's vocal is just stellar.

I'm with you Andrew. I'm all for hearing unreleased Carl "lead" vocals but when it's just placeholders (that I doubt he'd want anyone to hear) then it just doesn't interest me. After hearing so much about this song I had high hopes but it does absolutely nothing for me. On about Cali Dreamin' I mentioned on another thread how awesome Crosby's part is, Al and Glen sound great too.

Talking about Crosby, I noticed on youtube that CSN have started playing Suite: Judy Blue Eyes again! About time!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

Yeah, Carl is the worst part of Waves of Love.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »

After all these years there's still something special about Brian Wilson.. just seeing Al sing on "don't fight the sea"... then seeing Brian standing next to him singing backup vocals, falsetto....    man that's about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx