gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video: "Wild Honey" (live, 1972)  (Read 4057 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »

CLICK3D
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

not that this is new...
however it got me thinking, why did they start playing Wild Honey again in 72/73? was it simply to add a  more rockin' song to the setlist while giving Blondie a lead or was it to promote the re-release of the WH album (with the alternate cover)?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »

not that this is new...
It really was new to me.. sometimes that still happens.  Tongue
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5408.0.html
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »

Aw, sh*t. Please merge, mods.  Undecided
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

not that this is new...
however it got me thinking, why did they start playing Wild Honey again in 72/73? was it simply to add a  more rockin' song to the setlist while giving Blondie a lead or was it to promote the re-release of the WH album (with the alternate cover)?

Maybe. Anyway, Carl sang it at the Madison Square Garden shows in '75 or '76

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »

not that this is new...

I think it was just a rockin' song that they could add to the set during a time when they were looking to dirty up their sound a bit.  I also think maybe after they got Blondie in the group, maybe Carl had the idea that "hey, this song would work well with a Blondie lead!"

I don't think it had anything to do with a reissue or anything like that. It was a semi-popular hit that they had that fit in with their new vibe, and worked well with their newly added member singing. Makes total sense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »

I saw what appeared to be the topic "Video :\" on the main page and assumed newguy had started the thread.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »

I love Ricky and Blondie's contributions to the group but that lead vocal has always sounded quite painful to me.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:05:20 AM »

I saw what appeared to be the topic "Video :\" on the main page and assumed newguy had started the thread.
Cry
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »

not that this is new...

carl sang it during the MSG shows in november 1976. recordings of all 3 of those shows exist. the clip of blondie singing it from the 72 tv show is an edited/shortened version of the song, if they were playing it like they were at that time. the longer version really rocks.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:26 AM »

I love Ricky and Blondie's contributions to the group but that lead vocal has always sounded quite painful to me.

Agree with your sentiment 100%

And I'm actually not fond of Carl's original lead vocal either. It also sounds kinda painful to me.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »

not that this is new...

carl sang it during the MSG shows in november 1976. recordings of all 3 of those shows exist. the clip of blondie singing it from the 72 tv show is an edited/shortened version of the song, if they were playing it like they were at that time. the longer version really rocks.
How does Carl sound singing it in 1976?  His voice had changed quite a bit by then.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

not that this is new...

How does Carl sound singing it in 1976?  His voice had changed quite a bit by then.

I haven't listen to it in quite a while and since it's an audience recording you really can tell just that much. But imo he didn't sound as good as on the studio recording. On the record his singing his guts off while the live version is more like his '67 live versions only he has more control over his voice. The studio recording is still the best version I have heard, including Blondie's go's at it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »

Cry

Har har, you misunderstand.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:30 AM »

not that this is new...

I haven't listen to it in quite a while and since it's an audience recording you really can tell just that much. But imo he didn't sound as good as on the studio recording. On the record his singing his guts off while the live version is more like his '67 live versions only he has more control over his voice. The studio recording is still the best version I have heard, including Blondie's go's at it
Thanks. That's a shame. I had hoped for a 1980 Darlin' like interpretation!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 07:07:04 AM »

not that this is new...

Thanks. That's a shame. I had hoped for a 1980 Darlin' like interpretation!

Well, as mentioned it's been a while that I listened to it and I realy didn't wanna say that it was bad or something. It wasn't. But imo it's definitely not Knebworth-Darlin' like.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx