gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:18:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 252380 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1125 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »

Which one, NDR?

NDR 2. They wrote back, thanked and said they would give it to the music section of the station. Hopefully it will be played. Won't you call and make a wish for that one ? We should do as much as we can to promote them

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1126 on: April 27, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »

Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
 #128 Paid in MP3 Songs
#7 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Songs > Rock

Tried to purchase... not permitted outside of the US  Roll Eyes

Where are you from ? I purchased mine from amazon.de and will order the CD single on amazon.com

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »

What "Los Angeles accent".  There's no Los Angeles accent.

I'm from the eastern U.S., am not a linguist, and have never been to LA, but there's definitely a California accent, or there was in that generation. (A lot of old-time child stars--including Shirley Temple--had it, it seems to me.) The Wilson brothers all had it, and Mike. There's a way of pronouncing the vowels that is different than in the East or Midwest (or South, obviously). And there's a real emphasis on R's (surrrrrrfin'). Mike might exaggerate it when he sings, but it's there when he talks, too. But as for Dave, I still can't pick him out in the song, so I don't know about his singing accent.

so, either way, the conclusion here is that David probably does not have a different accent than the rest of the band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

It's also nice to see the chairman of the board, hows do you like the new single Chuck?

I'm digging it A LOT.  Listening to it over and over again.   Only thing that throws me a bit off about it is not recognizing some of the voices in it, though that could be David Marks or a blend of voices.    I can't hear Mike Love in the song, but that's not the worst thing that could happen.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

Which one, NDR?

NDR 2. They wrote back, thanked and said they would give it to the music section of the station. Hopefully it will be played. Won't you call and make a wish for that one ? We should do as much as we can to promote them
Don't know if that's anything special, but I heard the song on German radio station hr1 yesterday! The moderator claimed it was written by Brian, though. Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

well, there's this little thing called the composer credits are Brian is one of the four people listed, so it's not all that inaccurate to say Brian wrote it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »

Fishmonk, the classic sound you speak of was produced by five guys in their 20s. The core of the group was three brothers.

Two of those five guys, and two of that core group of brothers, are dead.

The three remaining guys are nearly (or past) 70. Two extra guys have been added, but they're not relations and in their 60s too.

There is nothing to be regained. That sound was lost in the late 60s and cannot come back. Mortality and the passage of time is a bitch. But what can you do?

Nothing can be done, but do I have to like everything The Beach Boys do simply because it's The Beach Boys? It may be "good for what it is" but why do I have to care? What if I just don't like what it is? I don't think TWGMTR deserves any special praise. It's not really good in any objective way. If it wasn't by The Beach Boys I would never have bothered to listen to it.
I think you can talk yourself into liking it, and maybe in the context of all the reunion stuff it's wrapped up in you could say it was acceptable. But honestly, I don't care about it, it doesn't move me, it's a thousand miles away from when the band wrote and recorded touching music. In the absolute I simply don't like it, it doesn't appeal to me in any way shape or form.

That's pretty much how I feel.  It just isn't a good song.

You guys are talking about two different things-- whether it's a good song and whether it has the classic BBs sound vocally. I don't think it's the best song they've ever done, but for me, the harmonies save it. And in my opinion, while it isn't a great song, it's not terrible either.  And maybe also the idea that all the living BBs are singing together makes it even more appealing to me.
As for vocal blend, they haven't had that since Brian lost his falsetto in the 70s. Love You sounds like it has different singers than Pet Sounds. The fact that Jeff sings falsetto means that he voice dominates, and maybe that's why the reaction is so strong. Maybe if he sang in the middle range, people wouldn't object so much.

"not terrible" isn't "good". That's what I just can't oblige. It doesn't deserve praise just for not sucking.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: April 27, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »

so thrilled with b00ts listing; I hear it like that exactly except:

"For fallin' in Love" in left channel - Jeff

No, I would maintain this is, as had been noted much earlier, Bruce, in his finest signature moment, eh?

best to all; this is so wonderful.
Thanks, the professor. I edited the post to include this into and Dr. Lenny's. Bruce has retained a lot of his vocal chops and he sounds truly excellent on this song.

- B00ts
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Which one, NDR?

Don't know if that's anything special, but I heard the song on German radio station hr1 yesterday! The moderator claimed it was written by Brian, though. Smiley

Now, that's something ! When was the last time a new single by the Beach Boys was played on the radio ? I think we fans should ry to get them play it as often as possible without us getting annoying.

I also wrote to Hit Radio Antenne
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:33:51 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 27, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

When can we determine if this is a hit? Are we monitoring billboard top 40 and is that the measure? Also, any word on whether it's Dave playing the guitar in this song? Sure as heck sounds like early BB guitar work.

Thanks to all
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 27, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »

it'll be insane if this makes the top 40, i don't think it'll make it though
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 27, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

Both the "sizzle reel" and lyric video have gotten over 76,000 plays on YouTube, and have only been up there for a week or two.  That's not bad.  It may not sell a lot of paid downloads or chart, so you have to use different yardsticks to figure out what's a success.
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I've been trolling the board for years. I wanted to put in my two cents about the single -

I think as a song, it's pretty good, and the arrangement of the harmonies are nice - but my two biggest gripes are that the voices are auto-tuned to hell (especially Brian's - but I don't think anyone's brought that up on the boards yet) and I can barely tell the difference between the voices. For me, the joy of the Beach Boys weren't that they were pitch-perfect singers, but how much emotional resonance they were able to instill into their songs.

Anyone else feel the same way?
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »

Both the "sizzle reel" and lyric video have gotten over 76,000 plays on YouTube, and have only been up there for a week or two.  That's not bad.  It may not sell a lot of paid downloads or chart, so you have to use different yardsticks to figure out what's a success.

I work in the online video industry, and they count commercial views and click throughs as the definition of success; so if you want to help the video's relative success out, click on the ad when it plays.
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 27, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »

"I think as a song, it's pretty good, and the arrangement of the harmonies are nice - but my two biggest gripes are that the voices are auto-tuned to hell (especially Brian's - but I don't think anyone's brought that up on the boards yet) and I can barely tell the difference between the voices. For me, the joy of the Beach Boys weren't that they were pitch-perfect singers, but how much emotional resonance they were able to instill into their songs."

Let's not forget how intrigued Brian was by synthesizers for a while.  I think on this song he is purposefully playing around with new sonorities -- he is not looking for an organic blend -- the processed voices are like a new synthesizer, that allow him to come up with unnaturally creamy textures that -- like those of a synthesizer -- can be beautiful in their own way.

I'm warming up to the song.  The more I listen -- and the more carefully I listen, the deeper it gets.  I love how at the end you hear the layered harmonies punctuated by the singing of "God" "God" "God" -- reminds me of "Surf's Up."  The deep religiosity of the song is there, in those moments, more than in the lyrics.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:52:44 PM by OGoldin » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 27, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I've been trolling the board for years. I wanted to put in my two cents about the single -

I think as a song, it's pretty good, and the arrangement of the harmonies are nice - but my two biggest gripes are that the voices are auto-tuned to hell (especially Brian's - but I don't think anyone's brought that up on the boards yet) and I can barely tell the difference between the voices. For me, the joy of the Beach Boys weren't that they were pitch-perfect singers, but how much emotional resonance they were able to instill into their songs.

Oh, yeah, I agree.  Autotuned  or pitch-corrected, and I don't think anyone can disagree with that like they can on the live recordings.  I also agree about how hard it is to tell the voices apart.  Someone said I needed my hearing checked if I couldn't hear Al, but it took headphones to hear him, and he doesn't sound that Al-like.  Al and Mike have very strong vocal personalities, and they're washed away with electronic processing.  Brian doesn't feature that much processing on his recent solo records (some, I'm sure, but not that heavy).  I'm not a fan of Joe Thomas.
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »

Hey guys,

Oh, yeah, I agree.  Autotuned  or pitch-corrected, and I don't think anyone can disagree with that like they can on the live recordings.  I also agree about how hard it is to tell the voices apart.  Someone said I needed my hearing checked if I couldn't hear Al, but it took headphones to hear him, and he doesn't sound that Al-like.  Al and Mike have very strong vocal personalities, and they're washed away with electronic processing.  Brian doesn't feature that much processing on his recent solo records (some, I'm sure, but not that heavy).  I'm not a fan of Joe Thomas.

Yeah. Actually, there's a recording of them from the Tucson concert that was online for about 15 minutes yesterday and it sounded like they were being majorly pitch corrected live (which technology allows for now). I hope that I'm wrong. If I can make it through Brian's SNL performance in '77, I can make it through breathy and pitchy singing from a bunch of 70 year olds.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »

Hey guys,

I have to say, I was able to hear Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff distinctly the first time I heard the song. I suppose many people may not be familiar with how the main participants' voices have changed, or listened to as much of the recent work of the band (last 10-20 years) as I have.

Also, I'm beating this into the ground, but we have no confirmation that Joe Thomas had anything to do with the production of this song. Possible, but the only word on production duties for the album is that Brian did it.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 27, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »

Hey guys,

I have to say, I was able to hear Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff distinctly the first time I heard the song. I suppose many people may not be familiar with how the main participants' voices have changed, or listened to as much of the recent work of the band (last 10-20 years) as I have.

Also, I'm beating this into the ground, but we have no confirmation that Joe Thomas had anything to do with the production of this song. Possible, but the only word on production duties for the album is that Brian did it.

I have a really hard time believing Brian produced it all by himself.  He has other producers on his solo records, so I'm not sure how he could avoid it wih this one.  Why bring Joe Thomas back in the first place?  I know there are people who think Brian and his advisers can do no wrong, but if he didn't produce it by himself, I don't see what the big deal is about acknowledging the work of others.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 27, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

I have a really hard time believing Brian produced it all by himself.  He has other producers on his solo records, so I'm not sure how he could avoid it wih this one.

He hasn't had another producer on one of his solo records since Imagination, with the exception of a "co-producer" credit for Scott on TLOS. You can argue with the credits' accuracy, but none are listed for Roxy, PS Live, GIOMH, BWPS, WIRWFC, BWRG or ITKOD.

Why bring Joe Thomas back in the first place?  I know there are people who think Brian and his advisers can do no wrong, but if he didn't produce it by himself, I don't see what the big deal is about acknowledging the work of others.

That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? Seems like Joe is in TV production now and is actually more or less managing the band in the reunion. Probyn and Al have both suggested he's executive producing.

Anyway, I don't know one way or another. Certainly the single is much more processed that Brian's recent solo work, but it doesn't sound much like Imagination either. Joe could well end up with a co-producer credit. We just don't know yet.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »

I still cannot really hear Mike in here after repeated listens. I know where I've been told he is, I think I may hear a voice in there that's his, but he's being doubled and drowned out and I'm still not 100% certain. And yeah, I know what he sounds like nowadays. Strange, but I guess that's just my perception of the recording.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

I still cannot really hear Mike in here after repeated listens. I know where I've been told he is, I think I may hear a voice in there that's his, but he's being doubled and drowned out and I'm still not 100% certain. And yeah, I know what he sounds like nowadays. Strange, but I guess that's just my perception of the recording.

I think that's his heavily processed voice at about 2:28 saying "that's why god made, that's why god made" which is somewhat confirmed by the sizzle reel video.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 27, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »

I still cannot really hear Mike in here after repeated listens.

He pops out on the right channel on "God Made".

This is OOPS'd so you can hear him better

http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/mike
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 27, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »

Isn't it Mike singing the repeating That's Why God Made in the chorus? He may be processed because he doesn't sound nasal, but it sounds like him otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:06:43 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 27, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »

I still cannot really hear Mike in here after repeated listens.

He pops out on the right channel on "God Made".

This is OOPS'd so you can hear him better

http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/mike

wow! thanks for that. he sounds a million miles away.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx