-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Anybody psyched for baseball season to get into full "swing?"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anybody psyched for baseball season to get into full "swing?"  (Read 17034 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »

Rerun - dood - your team is only playing a 156-game schedule this year?!  Sheesh...the things they'll do to help some teams...
;-)

Vox - it's all cheating, and as such it's all bad.  But i believe there are degrees.  Speed amps you up for the afternoon.  Steroids take it to a whole other level.  But yes, both are cheating.

The biggest thing for me is that Bonds should not be awarded any sort of homerun record, because an undetermined number of those homeruns were hit while he was on steroids.  And i realize we can't quantify that, and there is no way of ever knowing just how many he would have hit had he never touched the stuff...but the baseball world has been talking about steroids for quite a few years now, and he continues to deny his use.  So he's a liar AND a cheat.

And yes, i do know i'm fighting a losing battle here.  But i hate cheating...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »

Rerun - dood - your team is only playing a 156-game schedule this year?!  Sheesh...the things they'll do to help some teams...
;-)

Vox - it's all cheating, and as such it's all bad.  But i believe there are degrees.  Speed amps you up for the afternoon.  Steroids take it to a whole other level.  But yes, both are cheating.

The biggest thing for me is that Bonds should not be awarded any sort of homerun record, because an undetermined number of those homeruns were hit while he was on steroids.  And i realize we can't quantify that, and there is no way of ever knowing just how many he would have hit had he never touched the stuff...but the baseball world has been talking about steroids for quite a few years now, and he continues to deny his use.  So he's a liar AND a cheat.

And yes, i do know i'm fighting a losing battle here.  But i hate cheating...

Damn you Susan!  I meant 158 to go of course...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 08:44:46 AM »

Damn you Susan!  I meant 158 to go of course...

Damn me?!  Wow...i almost think you mean that...!
;-)

Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 06:28:16 PM »

Red Sox fan here.
Like what I see so far,,,so far.... Smiley

Gotta keep one eye on and one eye off.
It's too early for the obsession.

Also like the Tigers (2nd team)
So happy for them.

Other AL teams I like--
Oakland, Angels, Tampa Bay (wierd, I know, bugt they're fun and actually a Red Sox rival)

Teams I despise--
Texas (boring, no personality)

NL teams?  Like the Brewers based on concept.  Beer.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »

Red Sox fan here.

So happy for them.

Other AL teams I like--
Oakland, Angels, Tampa Bay (wierd, I know, bugt they're fun and actually a Red Sox rival)

Teams I despise--

Wow, it's like poetry...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »

Red Sox fan here.

So happy for them.

Other AL teams I like--

Teams I despise--

Wow, it's like poetry...

Just like baseball itself, which is the most poetic sport there is [except MAYBE for well-played basketball, tho that's more lyrical than poetic], and which has engendered some of the richest sports writing known to humankind. 

"It breaks your heart.  It is designed to break your heart."  A Bartlett Giamatti

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 02:47:50 AM »

Red Sox fan here.

So happy for them.

Other AL teams I like--

Teams I despise--

Wow, it's like poetry...

Just like baseball itself, which is the most poetic sport there is [except MAYBE for well-played basketball, tho that's more lyrical than poetic], and which has engendered some of the richest sports writing known to humankind. 

"It breaks your heart.  It is designed to break your heart."  A Bartlett Giamatti

Don't forget the poetry of horseshoes:

I often ask
is it the iron luck that flips when tossed
or is it the world,
my life,
sanity,
which slowly spirals out of control,
hoping that we can just hold onto something true,
something constant,
something hoofshaped?
Reach great metal staff and grab hold!
Alas, sometimes the most you can do is get close to reason,
or in this case,
a horseshoe.

by G.D. Platte

Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 05:32:10 AM »

Susan,
Do you like David Halberstam?
I just read "Teammates"
Great stuff!
JD
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 06:57:50 AM »

I'm more psyched about the NBA playoffs.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »

I like the baseball haiku!

While I bleed Giants specifically and the NL generally, I have to admit that I don't mind the A's (my mom has been a fan ever since they moved to Oakland) and the Orioles. I lived in Northern Va. in the late 80's and that was the "local" team. But as a rule I'm not an AL fan because I think pitchers should hit- all the while knowing that the AL has a deeper talent pool than the NL, and it's been that way for quite awhile...

Could never get into the NBA or NFL- I was too short as a kid to enjoy playing basketball and too scrawny to play football so I never developed as a fan. I could play baseball so that's what I gravitated to as a fan. As I hit the middle teen years music, girls and cars took over, but as soon as I hit my 30's I found I became a "born again" baseball fan and appreciate it on a deeper level than I did when I was a kid.

Even though there are things in the whole corporate/pro sports set up that bug me, once the first pitch is thrown all is forgiven. There's no denying the beauty and poetry of the sport itself. It's not often mentioned but I think a big thing that lured me back in was that it's one of the few sports that doesn't operate against a clock. I love that. Bein' a working stiff and a parent, my whole life is darned near governed by a clock. You show up at the ball park or determine that taking in the game on TV or radio is going to be your activity for the evening and it's open ended.

Dean
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »

I stopped caring about baseball after the 94 strike. Luckily, I missed the steroid years, although I did get to see McGuires 50 & 51st at Shea. I was a Met fan, and guess I still am. I joined a fantasy baseball league this year which has gotten me back into the sport a little.

I'm counting the minutes until Football season.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 02:16:15 PM »

Susan,
Do you like David Halberstam?
I just read "Teammates"
Great stuff!
JD

I'm afraid i don't know who he is, JD.  Tell me about him...

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »

Susan, our teams are off to some pretty nice starts.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 07:11:59 AM »

They sure are - and it's SO much more fun when your team is winning, isn't it??

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »

Rarely have I felt the elation...

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »

Which makes it even sweeter when you ARE feeling it!

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »

Come on Susan, don't act like you haven't noticed who has the best record in baseball right now...

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 09:32:04 AM »

dang, my cubbies are doin terrible

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 12:24:35 PM »

I remember when kids would form friendships through baseball teams. There was only two choices for us too. The Yankee's or the Met's. The yankee fans hung out together, as did the met fans.

I haven't watched a game since then. That was five or six years ago.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 05:29:34 PM »

I remember when kids would form friendships through baseball teams. There was only two choices for us too. The Yankee's or the Met's. The yankee fans hung out together, as did the met fans.

I haven't watched a game since then. That was five or six years ago.

Dammit man!  Come on down to D-town and we'll catch a game.  It's the right thing to do.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2006, 05:42:04 AM »

Rerun, dude, your Tigers are ROCKIN'!!!  Maybe we WILL see you in October after all!
;-)

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 08:51:18 PM »

Woo!  Just took two of three from the Sox to extend their lead to 5.5.  Wonder what the trade deadline will bring.  A lot of rumors here in Detroit about what may take place.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »

Rerun, dude, your Tigers are ROCKIN'!!!  Maybe we WILL see you in October after all!
;-)

Dammit, Susan?  Where are you on this?  I know you saw my Tigers take down the Yankees today to go up 2-1 on the series!  Tomorrow could be something special...

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2006, 09:02:10 PM »

Nobody?  WE'RE IN THE FRIGGIN SERIES, PEOPLE!  Wheres the love for a longstanding boardmember??

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: