gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680809 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:08:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB Shoegazers: My Bloody Valentine Remasters release date finally announced!  (Read 2699 times)
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

Taking a little gamble here,  but seeing as how Tobias hasn't been sighted around these parts for ages, I'll chirp in on behalf of shoegazing Smile fans. Possibly adding to their mystique via a retroactive non-release coup, My Bloody Valentine have finally decided maybe that wasn't such a good idea, have got off their collective backsides, and put out the re-releases they completed way back in 2008 of albums completed way back in 88-99:

http://pitchfork.com/news/45879-my-bloody-valentine-reissues-confirmed-at-last/

"On May 7, Sony will reissue their seminal albums (1991's Loveless and 1988's Isn't Anything) as well as EP's 1988-1991, featuring previously unreleased material, rare tracks, and four EPs: Feed Me With Your Kiss, You Made Me Realise, Glider, and Tremolo."

So, I'm excited! Anyone else? Old Man
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:34:30 AM by UK_Surf » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »

Yes!!!!! My Bloody Valentine is one of my favorite groups. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

Thanks, I've been waiting for the Loveless remaster for a while.

Somesody posted that brian once heard Loveless and had good things to say about it. I assumed it was a wind up but maybe not?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »

Thanks, I've been waiting for the Loveless remaster for a while.

Somesody posted that brian once heard Loveless and had good things to say about it. I assumed it was a wind up but maybe not?
Quote from Brian
"WOW! I LOVE Kevin Shields! Loveless just blew me away. Knocked me clean outta my keds!"
Qmagazine
October 1996

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

Shoegazing as an activity would make more sense if those gazing at their shoes had worn more interesting shoes than the same black Doc Martins.  Cheesy

As far as the music, there was some neat stuff. Shields was an innovator. I think he's rightfully getting more credit now. This should be a good release.

Wondering if the bonus material will measure up to the well-known and influential.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

This is great news.
I'd love to know if the Brian quote about Kevin is true, somehow I think it's totally BS.

I've heard that Kevin Shields is a huge BW fan, and has been spotted at various BW solo shows.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »

So, wait, what's the second disc of Loveless?  An alternate mix of the album?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »

Yes, its an alternate mix of the album from Kevin Shields.

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »

Not an alternate mix, an alternate remaster.  These remasters leaked years ago, and I doubt most people would be able to tell the two discs apart in a blind test.  I can't recall specifically whether the "new" remaster was boosted to super-brickwalled levels, as per the modern standard, but the earlier "Kevin" remaster was not brickwalled or limited at all, as I recall.  So at least that much is cool about it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

I wish they would release the unreleased material worked on after "loveless" I have heard its really far out.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

Not an alternate mix, an alternate remaster.  These remasters leaked years ago, and I doubt most people would be able to tell the two discs apart in a blind test.  I can't recall specifically whether the "new" remaster was boosted to super-brickwalled levels, as per the modern standard, but the earlier "Kevin" remaster was not brickwalled or limited at all, as I recall.  So at least that much is cool about it.

Pretty sure disc 1 was a remaster (no brickwalling) and disc 2 was an out and out remix by Kevin, not just a remaster. No brickwalling there, either, and the differences were extremely subtle on most tracks. It's been ages since I've listened to them, I lost them some time ago, thus I may be able to pick out a bit more nowadays.

Also, this should really go elsewhere (imo). Basically not relevant to the Beach Boys at all (imo).

imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

I won't believe it til I have them in my hands - these were supposed to come in 2008, after all.

The EP comp sounds seriously amazing, there's your unreleased goodies right there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »

I won't believe it til I have them in my hands - these were supposed to come in 2008, after all.

The EP comp sounds seriously amazing, there's your unreleased goodies right there.

Yeah, it's pretty cool.  Only thing is there were four unreleased tracks from the Glider-era that leaked (all of them on a dodgy bootleg LP "Lost Tracks" which turned up last year), but only three of them seem to have made the set.

Pretty sure disc 1 was a remaster (no brickwalling) and disc 2 was an out and out remix by Kevin, not just a remaster. No brickwalling there, either, and the differences were extremely subtle on most tracks. It's been ages since I've listened to them, I lost them some time ago, thus I may be able to pick out a bit more nowadays.

I think I had read was that the second disc was an earlier remaster attempt by Kevin for an even older proposed reissue campaign that was sitting on the shelf.  Looking at the leaked FLACs from 2008, now - neither are brickwalled, and Kevin's is actually slightly louder.  Of course what actually comes out may end up being totally different.

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:40:51 AM »

The EP's material is indeed very exciting - and I echo the sentiments about the  post-loveless material, I would love to hear some of that.  

These releases seem like the real deal - surely they wouldn't bait the fans like that again!?

Intriguing to hear about BW's comment on Shields, any verification on that?

I can definitely confirm that the reverse is true though. One of my best moments in music was talking about effects pedals and Smile with Kevin Shields at a London PS Tour gig. He liked its modularity, and is a fan of ring modulators. True.

One of my others was talking with Jason Pierce at the after party of the Smile RFH debut night 2. One of his favourite bits was IWBA! Great to see Spiritualized touring again (but I just missed them in my town! Arg!)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:42:00 AM by UK_Surf » Logged
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

Is the EP set going to be remastered? Because I didn't see any proof that either that or Isn't Anything are actually remastered....
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

Is the EP set going to be remastered? Because I didn't see any proof that either that or Isn't Anything are actually remastered....

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/03/22/my-bloody-valentine-reissues-loveless-isnt-anything-eps-1988-1991/

The three titles are due out May 7 in the U.K., and all “have been painstakingly remastered by Kevin Shields at Metropolis Studios in London.” Isn’t Anything is a single-disc release, but Loveless features the new remastering plus, on a second disc, “a previous remastering from original analogue tapes, completed by Kevin Shields but never released.”
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »

Count me in as a big fan of Loveless. For whatever reason I never bothered to check any of their older material, though. Maybe I should change that soon...
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »

I'm right with you on that. I count Loveless as one of the greatest albums of all time, but IA never really grabbed me. However, I've been re-evaluating that now that I've got heavily into the EPs, which are far superior imo. Working backwards, IA starts to make more sense. The instrumental techniques that make Loveless so great are all there in embryonic to fully realised form, but the indie-slacker vocals kind of sell that short for me (J Mascis did it so much better).

The BBs fan in me craves the glorious discoveries that Shields made in vocal production for Loveless, which really make it such a unique album. The layers and layers of multitracked vocals help weave all of the elements together.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx