gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:54:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Song: Full Speed Ahead  (Read 1602 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »

Got my new software (went with the new Digital Performer, actually) and am ready to get moving. Did quick scratch version of one of my new songs, Full Speed Ahead. This is just plunking piano and vocal (double tracked with a harmony in one part). But it gives the idea. Hope you like it. There will be fleshed out version sometime.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2y48t5

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »

Luther, that's amazing! But then I always say that  Grin

Does it sound more complicated than it is? I sense weird modulations all over the shop, but my musical ear ain't great....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »

Thanks: hopefully it will be better once I do an arrangement and get it a little more fully realized. But I've only got a few thoughts at the moment.

As for modulating, it does a little. The intro starts around C before the majority of the song plays around Bb and F.

C/G, Cmaj7, C7, then F, Fmaj7/A, F7 (with that latter part repeating often).

The verse just shifts bass notes and chords a few beats apart so that it makes nice tension: Bb, Bb/C, C, Db6, Db, Eb/Db, Eb, Bb.

Refrain has a few little bits to it:
1st part - Dm7, A7, D7, Gm7, G7, F (intro figure)
2nd part - Bb, D7, Ebmaj7, C/E (7), F(7), D7.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

Really like it!...the lyrics (especially), harmonies, the 'friends-esque' piano...all great!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

To my ears this has a nice Beatles/Beach Boys mix.  I'll give it another listen and look forward to the more fleshed out version as well.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »

In progress. Bass, an electric guitar, some new piano ideas here and there, some background vox. Obviously not the finished version, but hopefully moving that way.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/brqfl0

And if I may say, I was going to say "people, it's not even a Beach Boys influenced song. Let's not get too obsessed." But then I thought about the bg vox I added today. And then I shut my effin mouth.  Wink

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

Just in case you're not sick of this yet, here is a mostly done version (I think). In the past couple of days I've added drums, harmonies, aux percussion, assorted effects, and done some mixing. I'm sure I'll do a different mix once I've lived with this a while, but for now it's done. There are about four or five other songs I need to get started on.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ilj1jt

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »

I was hanging on for the full arrangement.... Love the guitar lines and harmonies! The re-recorded piano bits are also great. I was playing it on the piano the other day and I was so impressed, wish I could write like that.

I think I might have asked for this before, but I don't have them on my computer so I can't be sure - do you still have the link for the massive collection of your tunes? If not, don't worry about it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »

Hey, thanks. I appreciate that.

And sure, I can re-upload a batch o' tunes. It's very flattering that you would want them.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx