gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:40:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whoa, since when was the doubled "You Still Believe In Me" vocal found?  (Read 3191 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »

This pertains to the 2011 MFSL SACD release.

Did a search, but it's a bit tough to find results. Why hasn't this been talked about beyond fans commenting, "Yeah, the lead is double-tracked again"? Was it simply a matter of the track finally being found?

Also, I have to say, I'm so tired of this stereo mix of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" Yes, Mike's vocal for the bridge as it is on the original album no longer exists. Bummer, sincerely, but this terrible phasing bullsh*t going on for the sake of "restoring" his vocal for that part absolutely marrs the recording. Brian sounds great there, just mix it as is and leave well enough alone. It's not like the original recording, but what can you do? It'd be nice if two mixes were made next time, but I don't see it as likely.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:01:01 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »

This is just pertaining to the newish SACD, right? 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »

I am of the feeling that the second vocal multi HAS NOT been found, and that the  double tracking was done by taking the single tracked vocal and 'doubling it' over the mix.

If you listen to the mono mix, the double-tracked vocal sounds a lot different, and more 'authentic' (for lack of a better word), than what is on the SACD.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

This is just pertaining to the newish SACD, right? 

I swear I typed that originally, but alas, nowhere to be found in my original message, haha - yes, that release.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »

I am of the feeling that the second vocal multi HAS NOT been found, and that the  double tracking was done by taking the single tracked vocal and 'doubling it' over the mix.

Y'think? I don't know, as things like that tend to have a certain feel to them, a certain chorus-yness. Consider Carl's artificial ADT on "Cabinessence", although obviously things have changed since then. I don't know, it doesn't sound like it was doubled artificially to me, but I could be wrong.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »

Y'think? I don't know, as things like that tend to have a certain feel to them, a certain chorus-yness. Consider Carl's artificial ADT on "Cabinessence", although obviously things have changed since then. I don't know, it doesn't sound like it was doubled artificially to me, but I could be wrong.

I agree that it doesn't sound like traditional chorusing or ADT was used but I also think it doesn't quite sound like the vocal on the mono.  There's a different inflection and intonation on that 2nd overdub that I'm just not hearing in the new mix.  I'm guessing it was achieved through artificial means.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

It could be possible that the vocal from the accapella mix (as found on the PS box) was mixed in to the SACD version.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

I believe it was stated that they FOUND it. Steve Hoffman was talking about this not too long ago.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

Can someone upload this on Youtube? Would love to give it a listen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

Yes, Mike's vocal for the bridge as it is on the original album no longer exists. Bummer, sincerely, but this terrible phasing bullsh*t going on for the sake of "restoring" his vocal for that part absolutely marrs the recording. Brian sounds great there,

I don't have any info but I just wanted to say that I think Mike sounds a hundred times better than Brian on that part. In fact I can't stand listening to Brian sing the bridge. But that's just my opinion of course

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »

Yes, Mike's vocal for the bridge as it is on the original album no longer exists. Bummer, sincerely, but this terrible phasing bullsh*t going on for the sake of "restoring" his vocal for that part absolutely marrs the recording. Brian sounds great there,

I don't have any info but I just wanted to say that I think Mike sounds a hundred times better than Brian on that part. In fact I can't stand listening to Brian sing the bridge. But that's just my opinion of course
I feel the same. While Brian sounds fantastic this isn't the version of Wouldn't It Be Nice I grew up with it feels... wrong. It's like if someone replaced Carl with Mike on God Only Knows. While the mix sounds a little strange in the MFSL version, I don't mind it that much considering how Mike is just so much better on the bridge.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

Even if I didn't prefer Brian's vocal for the "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" bridge (Mike at his most nasal imo), I'd still give preference to the vocal as it appeared on the original version if it wasn't done by simply inserting Mike's vocal from a mono mix. It sounds so, so terrible, and such a brilliant song doesn't deserve to have what is probably its best moment tampered with and in such strange sonic quality. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »

Even if I didn't prefer Brian's vocal for the "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" bridge (Mike at his most nasal imo), I'd still give preference to the vocal as it appeared on the original version if it wasn't done by simply inserting Mike's vocal from a mono mix. It sounds so, so terrible, and such a brilliant song doesn't deserve to have what is probably its best moment tampered with and in such strange sonic quality. Sad

I agree, it's very jarring when the change happens.

As much as I love Mike's singing on the rest of Pet Sounds, I've never been a fan of his vocals on the bridge.  Way too nasal, and they sound completely phoned in, with no genuine feeling.  Brian sounds like he gives a damn what he's singing, and in my humble opinion, Mike does not.

As for the original topic, I haven't heard said mix, but finding Brian's doubled vocal would be fantastic news.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »

Does anyone know for sure if this version is available to download through Amazon or Itunes? I would love to hear this track, specifically.
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »

Does anyone know for sure if this version is available to download through Amazon or Itunes? I would love to hear this track, specifically.
No. Its a limited release that you have to buy. Kind of defeats the purpose of 24bit audio if it goes through iTunes. Its worth the purchase.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:41 AM »

No. Its a limited release that you have to buy. Kind of defeats the purpose of 24bit audio if it goes through iTunes. Its worth the purchase.

Alrighty. Thank you for the info. I will be sure to check into buying it!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx