gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:57:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 164089 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2016, 12:22:44 AM »

Here's Michael at 70, last week, doing his beautiful "WildFire" live on t.v.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rTwVXt10zw

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »

Full Circle is the first new studio album in over ten years from American music icon Loretta Lynn. Produced by Patsy Lynn Russell and John Carter Cash, and recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee, Full Circle takes listeners on a journey through Loretta's musical story, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music she learned as a child, to new interpretations of her classic hits and country standards, to songs newly-written for the project. Drawing inspiration from personal memories and deep connections to American music, Lynn's 13 new recordings capture the essence of these songs in intimate new performances. The album is volume one of the Cash Cabin recordings, a series of new album projects imagined and created at the storied Cash Cabin Studio.

Highlights from FULL CIRCLE include "Lay Me Down," a duet with Willie Nelson; "Everything It Takes," featuring guest vocals from Elvis Costello; "Whispering Sea," a new version of the first song Loretta ever wrote; and soulful new renditions of some of Lynn's classic tunes, including a rousing renditions of "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" and "Fist City." The album also includes traditional Appalachian songs from Loretta's childhood such as "Black Jack David" and "I Never Will Marry." At 83 years old, Lynn's voice sounds as powerful as ever, and this new material only adds to her legend as a performer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HPB9XC

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »

Really cool new song written by Bill Anderson, "I've Done Everything Hank Williams Did" on the new Moe Bandy album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NcjHbE0C0

He screws up the second verse...

Interestingly enough, Keith Whitley came up with the same idea about 30 years ago but the song's nowhere near as good. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »

Just found this and wanted to share it with you. The great Jerry Reed. Man, what a talent!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ruLyvBKFM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »

Full Circle is the first new studio album in over ten years from American music icon Loretta Lynn. Produced by Patsy Lynn Russell and John Carter Cash, and recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee, Full Circle takes listeners on a journey through Loretta's musical story, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music she learned as a child, to new interpretations of her classic hits and country standards, to songs newly-written for the project. Drawing inspiration from personal memories and deep connections to American music, Lynn's 13 new recordings capture the essence of these songs in intimate new performances. The album is volume one of the Cash Cabin recordings, a series of new album projects imagined and created at the storied Cash Cabin Studio.

Highlights from FULL CIRCLE include "Lay Me Down," a duet with Willie Nelson; "Everything It Takes," featuring guest vocals from Elvis Costello; "Whispering Sea," a new version of the first song Loretta ever wrote; and soulful new renditions of some of Lynn's classic tunes, including a rousing renditions of "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" and "Fist City." The album also includes traditional Appalachian songs from Loretta's childhood such as "Black Jack David" and "I Never Will Marry." At 83 years old, Lynn's voice sounds as powerful as ever, and this new material only adds to her legend as a performer.

Just in case anyone is checking this out but not the 2016 new music thread: GET THIS ALBUM. "Lay Me Down" is almost worth the price on its own, but it's not the only reason to buy it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »

Just in case anyone is checking this out but not the 2016 new music thread: GET THIS ALBUM. "Lay Me Down" is almost worth the price on its own, but it's not the only reason to buy it.

Thanks for the heads-up! I only listened to some samples on amazon and was amazed by the sound.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! I only listened to some samples on amazon and was amazed by the sound.

Oh, definitely check it out! I think it and Willie Nelson's Gershwin album are both among the highlights of the year so far. Both wonderful albums.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »

I don't usually read this thread because modern country isn't my thing - but I'm so glad I popped in! I had no idea Loretta Lynn has a new album!
I once saw her at an open-air venue in Massachusetts with a pretty small crowd. After the show she was hanging around while the equipment was packed up. My friend and I chatted with her for about 20 minutes. She was so sweet, but started crying because it was only a year or two after Doolittle died. Aww.
I'll definitely check this album out.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2016, 03:24:07 AM »

Talking about Loretta, I just did a search on youtube and found this:

WSM - Ralph Emery with Marty Robbins & Loretta Lynn May 19, 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-kuTmY8c4

This is a rare and thoroughly enjoyable tape from Ralph Emery himself.

In May of 1969, Ralph Emery was the King of Overnight Radio. WSM-AM's powerful clear-channel signal covered just about all of the eastern U.S., and Ralph had become a favorite among the long haul truckers and many other night owls who enjoyed the company of Ralph and his always interesting guests.

On this night, Ralph had not one, but two major stars thanks to a poll he had conducted, asking his listeners who their favorite country music artists were. The results were in: Marty Robbins was the favorite male artist, and Loretta Lynn was voted favorite female. The favorite group was Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, but they were unable to appear, and WSM's Bud Wendall (then manager of the Grand Ole Opry) accepted on their behalf.

Ralph rolled tape beginning at 12:30am, and captured almost an hour of rare and unforgettable live studio performances by two of country music's biggest stars. Who knew Marty Robbins loved to sneeze?

As a side note, Ralph says he only ran two polls in his whole career... this one, and the first one on WSIX back in the late 1950s. Coincidentally, Marty Robbins came in first then as well!

The Tennessee Radio Hall of Fame is proud to share this aircheck from the collection of Mike Bohan.

Why not join and learn more about these outstanding Tennessee radio personalities? http://www.tennradiohalloffame.org/

This audio/video work is posted as 'Fair Use' for reference and research purposes as well as historical record. All copyrights remain with the original copyright holders.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »

I heard "Lay Me Down" on the radio the other day... before they played it while they were announcing it I thought "I hope it's about Sex and not about dying".  Good song though as expected...

A friend of mine met Loretta once 10 years ago or so.  He said she was just as down to earth and sweet to him as could be, basically he had a "General Lee" plymouth and she had been on the "Dukes of Hazzard" at some point, so he contacted her agent and asked if she would sign the car, she agreed, he met her at a concert and she spoke with him a few minutes about being on the show and her memories of all that. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »

Just found this and wanted to share it with you. The great Jerry Reed. Man, what a talent!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ruLyvBKFM

Thank you for the video.  I was just listening to him the other day, always loved his guitar playing.  When I was a kid we watched "Smokey & the Bandit" all the time so I guess that's where I get my appreciation of him from.  When he was sick at the end he donated all the proceeds from his last album to wounded veterans... every year they have "the Snowman's Run" to Texarcana again to raise funds for Wounded Veterans - http://kkyr.com/snowmans-run-2015-concludes/ .

One of my favorite things he ever did was he had a song on a guy named Tim Wilson's album in 1997 called "I Married a Woman who talks like Jerry Reed"  Lots of good guitar riffs and ridiculous lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMPZz_H4t3M

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »

Now this is interesting!!

The Highwaymen Announce Live Box Set, Premiere Documentary Trailer

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-highwaymen-announce-live-box-set-premiere-documentary-trailer-20160329

The Highwaymen Unleash Concert Recordings: The Ram Report

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/the-highwaymen-unleash-concert-recordings-the-ram-report-20160330

There are a couple of live Highwaymen shows on youtube if you'd like to get an idea.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:18:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: April 02, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »

Here's the official site for the Highwaymen updates:

http://www.highwaymenmusic.com/

And the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWXtDRCyBE

Do you think this oughta be a topic on it's own? I could start a new one. I guess this could be interesting for other's as well who don't usually look into a Country Music-thread.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:16:33 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »

And the trailer:

Do you think this oughta be a topic on it's own? I could start a new one. I guess this could be interesting for other's as well who don't usually look into a Country Music-thread.

Wow, I gotta pick that up! That's almost 50 live songs and the concert DVD runs 2 hrs and 39 minutes. That'll make a great CD for the car or a "go to" listen when you're bored.

I was very late in coming around to Willie, Waylon, Johnny, and Kris's solo music, so that whole Highwaymen era went right over my head. Now, I'm a fan of the four, and I'm looking forward to really getting into The Highwaymen, so, yeah, it's own topic or thread is welcomed! 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »

And the trailer:

Wow, I gotta pick that up! That's almost 50 live songs and the concert DVD runs 2 hrs and 39 minutes. That'll make a great CD for the car or a "go to" listen when you're bored.

I was very late in coming around to Willie, Waylon, Johnny, and Kris's solo music, so that whole Highwaymen era went right over my head. Now, I'm a fan of the four, and I'm looking forward to really getting into The Highwaymen, so, yeah, it's own topic or thread is welcomed! 

Ok cool. I'll start one and add some more links from youtube etc.  Smiley

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »

Another legend lost...  Merle Haggard died this morning.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »

Another legend lost...  Merle Haggard died this morning.

Just saw the thread in the main section (it'll certainly be moved to this section). So sad. Merle was a cool guy. His "If I could only fly" album from later years is one of my all time favorites as well as his Jimmie Rodgers tribute album "Same train a different time" which I always wanted to post about in this thread because it is so damn great.

Workin' man blues - Marty Stuart show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEYColElk7w

If I could only fly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYgNmwKZ-Og

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:35 AM »

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/willie-nelson-rushed-to-undisclosed-protective-location-after-rash-of-celebrity-music-deaths/

Willie Nelson rushed off for medical treatment.  I thought this was a joke, apparently not.
Looking after a national treasure I guess.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2016, 12:13:16 AM »

What a disrespectful bunch of b.s.!  Who makes up crap like that?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

Heard this for the first time this evening, WOW!  Check this out if you get the time, what a great sound!  What a voice!

LaWanda Lindsey circa 1974 "Hello Out There"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJqfzXWa80

Here's her beautiful country version of "We'll Sing in the Sunshine" too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yjWlHBQ6g
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:22:36 AM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »

Heard this for the first time this evening, WOW!  Check this out if you get the time, what a great sound!  What a voice!

LaWanda Lindsey circa 1974 "Hello Out There"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJqfzXWa80

Here's her beautiful country version of "We'll Sing in the Sunshine" too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yjWlHBQ6g

Strong voice! But I kinda don't get much from the songs....

Kris Kristofferson celebrates 80th birthday with the release of The Cedar Creek Sessions

https://t.e2ma.net/webview/gkoco/ca5ba005db28c51920386ab2314dbc80

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »

That's got a remake of "old chunk of coal"  ?

I just realized that this DVD exists:

Outlaw Country Live From Austin

http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Country-Live-Austin-TX/dp/B000GDI2L0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1461703862&sr=1-1&keywords=Outlaw+Country+Live+From+Austin

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Hank Locklin - Fraulein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuzHgcp-eUI

I love this style of stuff, singing the hell out of it.  He's one of those guys whose voice was almost like an instrument, and the song's an instrumental... the lyrics are so dated and out of touch very few relate to them, but the vocal performance is so fantastic that it's as if his voice is a guitar or a violin or something. 

That style of singing reminded me of this old Little Jimmy Dickens song too, his version of "John Henry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMJxMD-usM

All this stuff was recorded in the 50's, probably in Nashville, with a room full of STRAIGHT KILLERS.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »

That style of singing reminded me of this old Little Jimmy Dickens song too, his version of "John Henry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMJxMD-usM

Thank you! This is fantastic. Has there ever been a bad version of this song by a major artist?
This is exactly the kind of stuff that fascinates and excites me. A blues song with a country beat (or vice versa)...

EDIT:

Just stumbled upon this funny interview with Faron Young and Ray Price...  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g84CIz_EfUc
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:15:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »

Just stumbled upon this funny interview with Faron Young and Ray Price...  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g84CIz_EfUc

Seems like a different world....

Trying to think of more blues based country songs... You've probably heard "Tennessee Stud", it's not really blues but it's got that kind of feel to it.  Eddy Arnold -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJtD3y3n08

A straight up blues one done by a country singer is John Conlee's version of "Let The Good Times Roll"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_kOBTfFJU

If you like Little Jimmy Dickens you might like this song he and Merle Haggard wrote called "Shopping for Dresses", it's about the most pathetic thing I've ever heard but it's well sung and well written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QKCsB_yS4o

For whatever reason it really resonates with me, it has this picturesque quality to it that Merle was really good at.  He wrote these weird little stories and you could see what was happening visually.  Such a ridiculous concept but they ran with it and pulled it off imho. 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx