gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 164113 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »

I see your horrible mash up, and raise you a Tim McGraw song called "Truck Yeah". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7GfUORHtw

Another GOD AWFUL song, "Redneck Crazy".

it's about a drunk redneck stalking his ex girlfriend, and no, it's not a comedy song, this jackass is serious.  "You gone and broke the wrong heart babbbbbbaaayyyy, and drove me redneck crazzzzzyyyyy"

it's got to be the worst country song I've ever heard.  It's like a country Chris Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXHS3OWdKo
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »

I see your horrible mash up, and raise you a Tim McGraw song called "Truck Yeah". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7GfUORHtw

Another GOD AWFUL song, "Redneck Crazy".

it's about a drunk redneck stalking his ex girlfriend, and no, it's not a comedy song, this jackass is serious.  "You gone and broke the wrong heart babbbbbbaaayyyy, and drove me redneck crazzzzzyyyyy"

it's got to be the worst country song I've ever heard.  It's like a country Chris Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXHS3OWdKo

This is worse. Smiley http://youtu.be/FsyIcJIy-yM

And so is this sleazy tune. http://youtu.be/xdImDqbgc2g
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »

Yeah... those are both pretty god-awful.  I can't stand Jason Aldean unfortunately... A few years ago, there's a girl that went to school here locally (my brother went to school with her) who was an American Idol contestant or something like that.  Anyways, she's in Las Vegas (I believe) at a nightclub where Jason Aldean is attending that night, and he starts hitting on her.  Well there's cameras around that take a lot of photos of the two talking, making out, etc. in this nightclub.  Night ends and they both go their seperate ways, never slept together or anything. 

Next day, all the photos leak out because he's married and cheating on his wife.  Her career's ruined and she's a homewrecker, blah blah blah... he gets a divorce and goes on having all his millions of fans tell him how great he is whereas the chick he was making out with didn't even know he was married and can't get a job at Taco Bell now. 

His asshole behavior kind of leaks through into his music, I can't really stand looking at the guy. 

Back to some REAL music.  One of Aldean's first songs was called "Joe Diffie"... here's a great Joe Diffie song.  I love these guys like this that kind of lose it but still are completely awesome live because the great thing behind their talent isn't their voice, but the soul they put into the performance.  Check out that twang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2A6bd2VkM

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »

Man, I don't know but no matter how good the song, such a twang just runis it for me. Like Alan Jackson for example. And Merle Haggard also had his share of that. I just can't stand it. But that's what tastes are for I guess, they differ.

BTW I just realized that Kris Kristofferson has a new live album out of his tour in 2013 (I saw him in Hamburg that year):
http://www.amazon.com/Evening-Kris-Kristofferson/dp/B00MMVNA1Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421871881&sr=1-2&keywords=kris+kristofferson

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »

I can understand it, Rocker, because I used to feel the same way.  When I was a kid, I could not stand it.  I mean, absolutely hated it, I thought it was the most ignorant, stupid thing I had ever heard.  I hated Reba McEntire, I thought she was just some stupid hick.

I'm not saying that's what you think, I'm just saying that's what I personally thought, I was very young then though, probably 13 or so.

Eventually, though, I started appreciating a different side of it.  There's something incredible about the honesty in country music.  That includes a guy like Joe Diffie singing in his natural, country, twangy, accent-full voice.  He's even singing off-key! 

With all that though, the message of the song stays the same...

What I learned to appreciate about Country music was the simplicity of it.  They're not trying to reinvent the wheel, they're not particularly trying to be clever, they're just telling it like it is, and it's incredibly universal. 

So lets listen to Joe's lyrics:

"The Only Thing I See Ahead, Is Just the Heat Rising Off The Road...
The Rainbows I've Been Chasing Keep on Fading Before I Find My Pot of Gold.
But More And More I'm Thinking, That The Only Treasures That I'll Ever Know...
Are Long Ago And Far Behind And Wrapped Up In My Memories Of Home."

"Home was a swimming hole and a fishing pole and the feel of a muddy road between my toes
Home was a back porch swing where I would sit and mom would sing amazing grace
While she hung out the clothes.
Home was an easy chair with my daddy there and the smell of Sunday supper on the stove...
My footsteps carry me away but in my mind I'm always going home"

He's talking about his personal idea of what 'home' means to him, but it's incredibly universal.  Someone may have grown up in Brooklyn, and they don't remember a fishing pole and a swimming hole, but they remember their mom taking them to the park down the street, or the old man who used to sell newspapers on the corner, or the hot dog stand. 

They may not remember their mom singing Amazing Grace and hanging out the clothes, but they remember their mom listening to "Slow Jams with Kevin Jacobson" every afternoon when they got home from school, while she was doing the crossword puzzle in the paper or whatever.

Where the twang comes in is this:  It's his natural voice.... and just like the songs are so honest and universal, when he sings that sh*t in his natural voice, flaws, stupid hick accent and all, he's doing what ultimately all artists strive to do.  He's taking something important to him, something beautiful that he cherishes and laying it all out there for people to see, criticize, and piss on if they want to.  He's being as intimate as possible.   

I could never do that.  I'll never be able to write a song that actually means something to me, or might touch somebody that hears it.  Joe though is better at that, than me. 

So the twang represents letting it all hang out.  The reason people have accents of any kind, no matter where they're from, is because of the loved ones in their life.  So for instance, an Irish guy talks with a strong Irish accent because his mother and father did, and learned to talk from them.  Then when he was 5, he had a nanny who talked that way as well, and when he went to school his little friends did, and all through his life he's had people in his life that he loved enough that he took a little piece of how they spoke and stole it for himself.  That's how all accents are formed; so in a way, an accent is a representation of the SOUL you have!  We don't imitate people we don't care for, we imitate people we love. 

So eventually I came to associate a strong accent, even a twang, with representing the soul someone has.  I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea, though. 

To me?  Joe Diffie is incredible.  He's singing that song at a small show somewhere, kids running around in front of the stage, and he's doing what he always wanted to do.  Love it. 

Here's another great one from him:

"Is it Cold In Here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEFwFksZCN0

kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:07 AM »

Dwight Yoakam ,excellent writer and performer. Chris Hillman said Dwight took Grams musical concept and achieved it. Alan Jackson,BR549 and Marty Stuart along with Johnny Cash,David Allen Coe all great.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »

Accent doesn't bother me too much, but if it's a put on, like some new country artists do, it annoys the crap out of me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2015, 07:52:01 AM »

Accent doesn't bother me too much, but if it's a put on, like some new country artists do, it annoys the crap out of me.

Yeah, I guess that's it.

Here's something that you guys hopefully will like (I just copy the text from youtube - there's more of this stuff btw):

Stanley Brothers
New River Ranch - Rising Sun, MD
July 29, 1956

Carter Stanley - Guitar
Ralph Stanley - Banjo
Curley Lambert - Mandolin
Chubby Anthony - Fiddle
Lindy Clear - Bass

--Set One--
1. Dickenson County Breakdown
2. Orange Blossom Special
3. Crazy Arms
4. Hard Times
5. Nobody's Love Is Like Mine
6. Cry From The Cross
7. Fling Ding
8. Say You'll Take Me Back

--Set Two--
9. Big Tilda
10. Baby Girl
11. Little Glass Of Wine
12. Little Birdie
13. Black Mountain Rag
14. Just A Little Talk With Jesus
15. A Voice From On High
16. Rawhide
17. I Just Got Wise
18. Hard Times

--Set Three--
19. Carroll County Blues
20. White Dove
21. Could You Love Me One More Time
22. Cry From The Cross
23. Drifting Too Far From The Shore
24. Rabbit In The Log
25. Boil Them Cabbage Down
26. A Parting Cry From Tennessee Mort

Originally recorded by Jeremy Foster and Mike Seeger and released as "Stanley Series, Vol. 4 #1" on Copper Creek Records CCCD-5513, but now out of print. Copies are out there, so try and find one if you are able. The liner notes are worth reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXpWuzT9oY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »

Rocker after re-reading all this, I think honestly the 'twang' thing we're talking about may simply be semantics or a language thing, is English your second language?

The reason I ask is because if you're a fan of the Stanley Brothers it doesn't get much more 'twangy' as I would call it, then that.  So I think we're probably of the same accord in that regard. 

I know I've went on and on about the Grand ol' Opry but I was listening to it (again) Saturday night and it was pretty mind blowing.  Ricky Scaggs hosted the end of the show, and Jamey Johnson was the last guest.  He was incredible as usual (might have been drunk, though!). 

The show ended with Ricky Scaggs coming back out for 1 more song, as the host usually does to send everybody home.  Earlier in the evening he had his fiddle player help out the Del McCoury band, so he brought Del McCoury back on stage to return the favor.  They performed "Uncle Pen"...  If you don't know all the history,

1. Ricky Scaggs was a teenage protege of Bill Monroe, the father of Bluegrass music.  Later in life they toured together before Mr. Monroe passed away, they were very close.
2. Ricky released his version of Monroe's famous "Uncle Pen" in the 80's and had the first #1 hit with it, 30 years after Monroe wrote it about his Uncle Pendleton.
3. Del McCoury was Bill Monroe's tenor singer in the 60's...
4. The Grand ol' Opry was held saturday night in the Ryman Auditorium, where Monroe brought Bluegrass to it's first radio audience back in the 40's

Unfortunately no footage of it's popped up yet, but here's Bill Monroe performing it on television in 1965.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7vu7xa2Qk

and Here's Ricky doing it with the Boston Pops orchestra a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXsH6sFY2M

It's so crazy seeing like 40 violins playing that!

Here's Ricky doing Monroe's "Bluegrass Breakdown" on the Opry, as well.  Gives a little peek at his speed and technique.  If you've ever thought you've seen a good, fast Rock guitarist, check out the guitarist in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIHSXpmilw

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2015, 06:41:13 AM »

Yes, it's my second language so maybe I really misunderstood the meaning. I don't know what to call this annoying way of singing that I hear on modern country artists but "twang" sounded about right. I mean this nasal mumbling sound. You hear it everywhere. Alan jackson, Trace Adkins, George Strait, Garth Brooks etc.

Trace Adkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iFYrgxjUc

Just terrible. And except for some old Haggard I don't hear it on traditional country. Not with the Stanley Brothers for sure.

Yeah, I know about Ricky Skaggs and his version of "Uncle Pen" but not the details, so thank you! He's a great musician. But just like with Vince Gill (what a guitar player!) I like his voice more as background vocals. They both are not very enjoyable when doing leads to me. If I had to chose I'd take Skaggs singing lead over Gill though.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »

Trace's voice in that song doesn't bother me, but really I live in a place where we all talk like that... so i'm sure it's just a cultural thing.  Just so you know though, that's how he talks naturally, he's not putting that on or trying to sound that way.  You labeled that as terrible, I would label it as 'excellent', lol.  Crazy how two completely opposite reactions can come from the same performance. 

If anybody's a fan of Trace, here's a really great video of him with the West Point Cadet Glee Club from a few years ago, doing "Till the Last Shot's Fired".  It's really red-meat though if you're not into that you might not want to watch it, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrdY8oCL30

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2015, 05:29:39 AM »

Well, I've no problem if they talk like that. What is annoying to me is that they all sound the same and I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few artists who fake it. You don't find this very often in traditional country music, at least not in this overacted way imo

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »

I agree with you, lots of jokers making country music right now.  I know you said you don't like Alan Jackson, his song "Gone Country" is all about that Smiley
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

I agree with you, lots of jokers making country music right now.  I know you said you don't like Alan Jackson, his song "Gone Country" is all about that Smiley

I'm being optimistic in saying this, but I think things are gonna get better in country music. These last few years have been crappy, but I see this bro-country stuff dying like disco did. It's just a matter of time. Smiley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »

was checking out this version of Tom T's 'watermelon wine'.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45u0kdUgFgo#t=100

can you spot someone from the beach boys world around 1.21 to 1.40 in the audience?

RickB
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »

To make a long story short....

Willie Nelson Autobiography Will Tell 'Long Story' of Highs and Lows
Country treasure's new book will tackle topics including his IRS scandal, his many wives and famous friends

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/willie-nelson-autobiography-will-tell-long-story-of-highs-and-lows-20150213#ixzz3Rk3nK3X7

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »

I'm being optimistic in saying this, but I think things are gonna get better in country music. These last few years have been crappy, but I see this bro-country stuff dying like disco did. It's just a matter of time. Smiley

I hope.  There's still some really quality people out there recording and even having hits... and there's a selection of people who are choosing to do that dumbed down stupid sh*t but are capable of much better. 

Jamey Johnson has been showing up at the Grand ol' Opry as of late, I'm glad he hasn't overdosed yet and he's still writing solid stuff.  Here's his new single :

"You Can"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-0UFZWk5Nk

And here's him from a couple weeks ago doing Willie Nelson's "I'd Have To Be Crazy" live at the Opry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGwJ4ER8qI
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »

I hope.  There's still some really quality people out there recording and even having hits... and there's a selection of people who are choosing to do that dumbed down stupid sh*t but are capable of much better. 

Jamey Johnson has been showing up at the Grand ol' Opry as of late, I'm glad he hasn't overdosed yet and he's still writing solid stuff.  Here's his new single :

"You Can"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-0UFZWk5Nk

And here's him from a couple weeks ago doing Willie Nelson's "I'd Have To Be Crazy" live at the Opry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGwJ4ER8qI

I saw that on savingcountrymusic.com. Good website for spreading the good stuff. It got me interested in country music actually. Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

There's a cute little 10 year old girl writing and singing songs that's been showing up at the Opry lately named "Emi Sunshine".  Pretty creative, weird music if you can stand it coming from a very precocious child!  I like it.  When she grows up a little bit and her voice matures it'll be interesting to see where her career heads.  I see talent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VhEPPk3A4E

Here's one she recorded in her living room (Hey, she's a kid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSPgGznloLo

Here she is buskin' for dollars on the street singing "You Are My Sunshine" !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_cfL3l0TFI

Crazy!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:16:53 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:40 AM »

Haha, that's cool!

Here she is on the Today show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQnl9kJDnQ

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »

Holly Williams has been making great appearances at the Grand ol Opry lately, yes, she's the daughter of Hank Williams Jr. and the granddaughter of Hank Sr. , half sister to Hank III.  Apparently, the musical talent passes down genetically because she's really fucking got the songwriting thing down pat.

She wrote a song about the maternal side of her family, called "Waiting on June", it's fantastic.  Here's a video if you'd like to hear it, see if you hear any of that Williams songwriting talent in her.  All the footage is authentic home videos of them and the song is a true story.

Holly Williams - Waiting On June

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUH8VszQun8

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:01:06 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »

Yeah, she's really good. I haven't heard very much but what I have is cool. Much better than Hank III imo.

Here she gives a Tiny Desk Concert for NPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8Y3cZi66Y

EDIT:

BTW Ron have you heard Jett Williams, Hank jr.'s half sister? She used some of the Drifting Cowboys as backup. But talk about musical genes...not.  Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySuG3s-yIk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:09:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »

Well really she gets a pass for not having any musical talent since she's prob. not really even related to him, LOL

Here's Holly doing a Hank song (much better, imho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkVUFD-1AM
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

Don Robertson R.I.P.  Sad

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/03/passings-nashville-songwriter-and.html

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

Charlie Louvin doc streaming here for a few more days - worth a look - http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/charlie-louvin-film-streaming-free-online-through-march

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx