gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:22:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 164079 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »

There's this awesome show that used to be on called "Country's Family Reunion", Bill Anderson gets a bunch of ancient country singers to sit around in a room, and then sing their hits.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:08:26 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »

Roger Miller's awesome
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:08:39 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »

Roger Miller's awesome version of "Ruby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruZm0oB0Fw

This guy was so fucking great

That was beautiful. Thank you!
Do you know Carl Perkins' version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLWlcGaiYU

While the door-part came up I was remembered of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVPZuaEZvk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »

Roger Miller's awesome version of "Ruby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruZm0oB0Fw

This guy was so fucking great

I actually contacted Roger Miller's website a couple year ago, and got a reply from his wife who has a lot to do with it....
I asked her what are the chances of seeing a complete Roger Miller boxset...
and she replied back and said she had been working with Bear Family in Germany trying to put something together....
and I emailed 'Bear', and they said yeah, Roger was 'on the cards' to getting done.....
this was probably 2 years ago thou....... He was such a clever talented man, and it bugs me you can only get a 'greatest hits'
collection of his stuff.... he did so much more output worth hearing..

RickB
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

Hmmm... have you looked into what's available?  I've got some decent stuff of his.

His box set was 3discs, called "The Genius Of Roger Miller" has a bunch of rarerish stuff on it.

Then there's a "Bear Family" release already that has all of his early stuff on it from before he became an overnight sensation.  It even has a gospel song on it he wrote (which is pretty damn awesome).

I've also got a live CD somebody put out of him playing a live show in texas.

The good news is all the stuff that IS available is really cheap, you can pick it up for nothing.  I would suggest that Bear Family one first, it's got 25 tracks or so on it and probably 15 of them are stuff I've never herad anywhere.

Ironically his wife Mary was in the First Edition.... and now we're back where we started, lol.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »

yeah Ron....got the 3 Cd set, that is pretty neat, and the single Bear Cd.....

but that's basically is, other than 'greatest hits' releases....

there are still other 'smash' sides, along with 'mercury' and 'rca' .... that need a haul over.....

a Big! Roger fan here...

Cheers, RickB

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

Gotcha... hopefully they'll release more.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:09:05 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »

Previously Unknown Hank Williams Recordings from 1950 to ‘See the Light’ This Spring

By Kurt Wolff

If you already own the ten-CD box set The Complete Hank Williams, and think you’ve heard everything from that most legendary of country artists, a new collection set to surface this spring just might blow your mind.

Hitting stores on May 20, The Garden Spot Recordings, 1950 is a new 24-song collection featuring recordings from Williams that fans haven’t heard since they aired 64 years ago. Williams recorded these songs as part of a sponsored radio program — which was common practice at the time — and it features previously unheard versions of some of his classic songs, including “Lovesick Blues” (which he didn’t write but was his first No. 1), “Mind Your Own Business” and “Mansion on the Hill.” See the track list below.

In the liner notes to the collection, Williams biographer Colin Escott describes the context for these recordings. “Set the time machine for early morning on KSIB-AM, Creston, Iowa,” Escott writes. “February 1950. Country radio was beginning its slow transition from live music to DJ shows. Live music and DJ shows were augmented by transcribed shows. After buying 15 minutes of airtime on small-market stations, sponsors would prerecord shows with well known artists, duplicate them, and ship them out on 12 or 16-inch transcribed discs.”

And that, Escott continues “is how Hank Williams came to be on KSIB in February 1950. Sandwiched between the local ‘live’ acts, it was almost as if he were visiting with Skeets and those Radio Rascals. His sponsor was one of the nation’s largest plant nurseries, Naughton Farms, seven hundred miles south in Waxahachie, Texas. Given that Naughton was a big player in the nursery business, Hank’s shows were almost certainly shipped to many small stations, but only KSIB’s copies survived.”

And despite the fact many heard these recordings at the time, and many stations likely possessed the transcription discs at some point, they have since floundered in obscurity — even for a scholar of Escott’s stature. “Those of us who have studied Hank’s life and career had no idea that these recordings existed,” he notes.

Hank’s daughter Jett Williams echoes her thrill at hearing these newly uncovered songs. “It’s incredible to me that we’re still finding new recordings by my dad — great ones at that,” she said. “No one even suspected that these recordings existed.”

The album will be released on CD and vinyl by Omnivore Recordings, and will also be teased with a special Record Store Day EP.

The Garden Spot Recordings, 1950 track listing:

01. The Garden Spot Jingle
02. Lovesick Blues
03. A Mansion On The Hill
04. Fiddle Tune
05. I’ve Just Told Mama Goodbye
06. Closing/Oh! Susanna
07. The Garden Spot Jingle
08. Mind Your Own Business
09. Lovesick Blues
10. Fiddle Tune
11. At The First Fall Of Snow
12. Closing/Oh! Susanna
13. The Garden Spot Jingle
14. I Can’t Get You Off Of My Mind
15. I Don’t Care (If Tomorrow Never Comes)
16. Fiddle Tune
17. Farther Along
18. Closing/Oh! Susanna
19. The Garden Spot Jingle
20. I’ll Be A Bachelor ’Til I Die
21. Wedding Bells
22. Fiddle Tune
23. Jesus Remembered Me
24. Closing/Oh! Susanna

Tracks 1 – 6 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #4
Tracks 7 – 12 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #9
Tracks 13 – 18 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #10
Tracks 19 – 24 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #11

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6-DuFS0aE

Source: http://news.radio.com/2014/03/31/previously-unknown-hank-williams-recordings-from-1950-to-see-the-light-this-spring/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:30:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »

I'm really excited for this release.
I love Omnivore.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »

can't believe I'd never heard Charlie Louvin - See the Big man Cry
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:09:27 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »

I have two of his later albums. One is called "The longest train". Fantastic album!

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »

Previously Unknown Hank Williams Recordings from 1950 to ‘See the Light’ This Spring

By Kurt Wolff

If you already own the ten-CD box set The Complete Hank Williams, and think you’ve heard everything from that most legendary of country artists, a new collection set to surface this spring just might blow your mind.

Hitting stores on May 20, The Garden Spot Recordings, 1950 is a new 24-song collection featuring recordings from Williams that fans haven’t heard since they aired 64 years ago. Williams recorded these songs as part of a sponsored radio program — which was common practice at the time — and it features previously unheard versions of some of his classic songs, including “Lovesick Blues” (which he didn’t write but was his first No. 1), “Mind Your Own Business” and “Mansion on the Hill.” See the track list below.

In the liner notes to the collection, Williams biographer Colin Escott describes the context for these recordings. “Set the time machine for early morning on KSIB-AM, Creston, Iowa,” Escott writes. “February 1950. Country radio was beginning its slow transition from live music to DJ shows. Live music and DJ shows were augmented by transcribed shows. After buying 15 minutes of airtime on small-market stations, sponsors would prerecord shows with well known artists, duplicate them, and ship them out on 12 or 16-inch transcribed discs.”

And that, Escott continues “is how Hank Williams came to be on KSIB in February 1950. Sandwiched between the local ‘live’ acts, it was almost as if he were visiting with Skeets and those Radio Rascals. His sponsor was one of the nation’s largest plant nurseries, Naughton Farms, seven hundred miles south in Waxahachie, Texas. Given that Naughton was a big player in the nursery business, Hank’s shows were almost certainly shipped to many small stations, but only KSIB’s copies survived.”

And despite the fact many heard these recordings at the time, and many stations likely possessed the transcription discs at some point, they have since floundered in obscurity — even for a scholar of Escott’s stature. “Those of us who have studied Hank’s life and career had no idea that these recordings existed,” he notes.

Hank’s daughter Jett Williams echoes her thrill at hearing these newly uncovered songs. “It’s incredible to me that we’re still finding new recordings by my dad — great ones at that,” she said. “No one even suspected that these recordings existed.”

The album will be released on CD and vinyl by Omnivore Recordings, and will also be teased with a special Record Store Day EP.

The Garden Spot Recordings, 1950 track listing:

01. The Garden Spot Jingle
02. Lovesick Blues
03. A Mansion On The Hill
04. Fiddle Tune
05. I’ve Just Told Mama Goodbye
06. Closing/Oh! Susanna
07. The Garden Spot Jingle
08. Mind Your Own Business
09. Lovesick Blues
10. Fiddle Tune
11. At The First Fall Of Snow
12. Closing/Oh! Susanna
13. The Garden Spot Jingle
14. I Can’t Get You Off Of My Mind
15. I Don’t Care (If Tomorrow Never Comes)
16. Fiddle Tune
17. Farther Along
18. Closing/Oh! Susanna
19. The Garden Spot Jingle
20. I’ll Be A Bachelor ’Til I Die
21. Wedding Bells
22. Fiddle Tune
23. Jesus Remembered Me
24. Closing/Oh! Susanna

Tracks 1 – 6 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #4
Tracks 7 – 12 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #9
Tracks 13 – 18 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #10
Tracks 19 – 24 taken from Naughton Farms Garden Spot Show #11

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6-DuFS0aE

Source: http://news.radio.com/2014/03/31/previously-unknown-hank-williams-recordings-from-1950-to-see-the-light-this-spring/

we live in a world where there's really no reason they can't do a little research or asking around for song titles, rather than just list 4 tracks as "fiddle tune"... that's just lazy.

having said that, i'm damn excited to hear this recording!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:05:19 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2014, 04:35:58 AM »

Anybody ever heard this cover of Hank's "I'll never get out of this world alive" by the Delta Rhythm Boys in '52? Very nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87gbEu9eY-w

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »

can't believe I'd never heard this song before today:

Charlie Louvin - See the Big man Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AZzySLZjk

Fantastic song.  He really had a cool voice, especially in the chorus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I posted it before, but I'll repost it here... Charlie did an album a couple years before he died, and it had a tribute to his brother Ira Louvin on it called "Ira".  It's heartbreaking if you know their story (Ira died in a car wreck in the early 60's)

Charlie Louvin - "Ira"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIT0Xe1qaoI

ahh 'the big man cry'.......... cool tune........ written by Ed Bruce, the dude who wrote 'mummas don't let your babies' .....
and had a great bunch of albums he recorded also.......... the same guy that recorded at Sun Records in the fifties under the name 'Edwin Bruce'...

I also have the Charlie Louvin song on 45........ on the great orange/yellow swirl label........it so reminded me of The Beach Boys when I picked up a copy...

(up until then, I had not owned another Capitol recording on the orange/yellow label other than the BB's)

another great 'Louvin' song is 'My book of Memories'..... 

Cheers, RickB
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2014, 08:55:17 PM »

That's cool, I didn't know Ed Bruce wrote it.  Ed Bruce is the MAN.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »

Couple neat things I noticed in a couple songs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:09:48 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »

Hank Williams Jr. was such a great talent.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:10:39 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »

Hank jr. is such a big talent! He basically could write and record a complete album on his own. Yet he often has a way of using his father's name and songs plus the "rowdy"-image in a ridiculous way in some of his songs (not unlike the way Mike Love uses Beach Boys titles in his songs, which of course is a method many nostalgia acts use - except the Beach Boys titles).

One of my favorite Hank jr songs is "(I Don't Have) Any More Love Songs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLIKyc90kA

What a song!!

BTW IIRC Hank's name was thrown around when news of a Beach Boys Country album began to appear.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »

Yeah he's truly great.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:10:59 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »

In country, you either love, or HATE, that twang.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:11:11 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »

There's an interesting phenomenon that's been going on for several years, where Nashville serves as kind of a sanctuary for disillusioned Rock musicians, or guys who in the past could make a pop record, but find themselves without a market.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:11:28 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »

Listen to Dolly Parton's new album here:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Smoke-Dolly-Parton/dp/B00HHC33YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402948452&sr=8-1&keywords=dolly+parton

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »

Jimmy Newman was a cool guy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:07:06 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »

Tracy Lawrence is criminally underrated .  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:07:22 PM by Ron » Logged
danieljack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:25 AM »

My dad used to listen to what I call "old school" country like Kenny Rogers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx