gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:17:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two questions and a cool video  (Read 1749 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »

First the questions:
1.  One of my favorite Bruce and Terry songs is Here Comes Summer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSKx0FcYEY .  It's a great song, although as it turns out a cover (with some modified lyrics) of a Jerry Keller song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox1cFEwaHic .  So my question is, in Bruce and Terry's version, the genders are switched, so that they're singing about a boy.  Although it makes a great gay anthem in this incarnation, given that it was recorded in the mid sixties, I was wondering if anyone knew why they had switched around the genders, and if it was intended as a demo for a girl group or something.

2.  I was listening to Honey's songs on youtube, and I am curious about Make the Night Just a Little Bit Longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B73HT2ueZZY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL7427A220E589E9CD and Raindrops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87gZwfytHu4 .  Neither of them are listed on Bellagio as outside productions, but the latter certainly sounds like a Brian Wilson production to me, although the former doesn't really.  Is there a complete Honey's discography listing who produced what and when somewhere on the net? 

And then, the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-hcncMvaGk

I knew that Solomon Burke had done a cover of Soul Searchin, and frankly, I thought it was kind of lackluster.  But this live version is epic, and I thought I should share. 

Thanks all!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »

Not to answer your questions, but: nice post to start a thread about gay BB-related music:

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.The Adult Child version of On Broadway
.Brian's take on Porgy

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »

Raindrops (from 1963) has been released. It's on "The Honeys - Capitol Collector's Series" from 1992 and "The Honeys Collection" from 2001. Steve McParland wrote the liners for the latter and I'll check them when I get home unless AGD or somebody gets here first.

There use to me a real good web site (mustard colored background) with all the Honeys stuff on it - can't find it now. Had all the rarities, dates, and everything.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:03:31 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »

Not to answer your questions, but: nice post to start a thread about gay BB-related music:

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy
Why would we talk about these points relating them that way?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

2.  I was listening to Honey's songs on youtube, and I am curious about Make the Night Just a Little Bit Longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B73HT2ueZZY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL7427A220E589E9CD and Raindrops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87gZwfytHu4 .  Neither of them are listed on Bellagio as outside productions, but the latter certainly sounds like a Brian Wilson production to me, although the former doesn't really.  Is there a complete Honey's discography listing who produced what and when somewhere on the net? 

All the BW-produced Honeys tracks are listed on 10452. "Raindrops" is a Nik Venet production, "Make The Night..." a Murry Wilson one. My source is Ginger Blake.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »

I never thought of "On Broadway" as having any gay tendencies anyway.  Dunno where Dr. Leonard gets that from.

Al sings, "They say the chicks are somethin' else on Broadway".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:36:18 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy

Curt Boetcher was married
SBonilla
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy

And then he wasn't. But, who cares?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:25:44 PM by SBonilla » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy

Straight men can produce gay music.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy

Sorry, didn't mean to include your post in the quote, I was responding to Dr Lenny. I was quite interested to know why he thought he was gay, not, as you rightly imply, it matters. But as I'm quite a CB admirer, and have found scant information about him online, I care. People's personal lives can often lead to a deeper appreciation of their music, for me anyway.

So I'll rephrase.

I thought Curt was married. Was he gay / bi? I know nothing about this guy who made an album that means a lot to me.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »

Curt was married (the Claudia for whom a song on Begin was titled) and had two children. He came out in about 1976 or so.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:35:36 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SBonilla
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »

.Curt Boettcher
.The Paley Bros.
.Brian's take on Porgy

Sorry, didn't mean to include your post in the quote, I was responding to Dr Lenny. I was quite interested to know why he thought he was gay, not, as you rightly imply, it matters. But as I'm quite a CB admirer, and have found scant information about him online, I care. People's personal lives can often lead to a deeper appreciation of their music, for me anyway.

So I'll rephrase.

I thought Curt was married. Was he gay / bi? I know nothing about this guy who made an album that means a lot to me.

I knew him. He was gay and did not hide that fact.
I used him and Larry Fox on a radio commercial. Curt had bronchitis that night, but boy, did he have a monster of a voice, even in that condition.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 03:02:56 AM »

Wow. I'm going to PM you with a few questions soon, if that's OK? Or maybe start a Curt thread off of general. Begin is one of my favourite albums, and I'm frustrated by the lack of info about this guy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx