gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:10:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Probyn Gregory interview - new album, tour & grammy's info  (Read 18292 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

"People like Andrew G Doe over in the UK seem to have some sort of inside mole, they have information before anyone else that I know."

C'mon Andrew, you can tell me....  I promise to keep it a secret!

Grin

Andrew G. Doe is actually a pseudonym for Melinda Wilson.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:37 PM »

I just find it hilarious - and somewhat flattering - that he used my middle initial.   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

It's a pretty candid interview for sure, with little evidence of towing any party line. Full credit to Probyn for being so straight-up and honest about everything. And unaffected by his relative fame!

“We live in divisive times.”
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »

My hat is off to Probyn.

He has the ultimate, ultimate dream gig, yet must balance that against some very important, family concerns!  Good luck to him!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »

Probyn really lays it all out there ... I remember that after I interviewed him, I had to use some discretion in what was printed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:52:07 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

Great interview! Can't wait to hear "That's Why God Made The Radio". With all of the mentions in the press, is it safe to say it will be the 1st single?

Its got a PS feel remember. Its not a album of singles....but the whole album is a concept! (We wish).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:06:08 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

I just find it hilarious - and somewhat flattering - that he used my middle initial.   Grin

Some names just call for the middle initial to be always included...like US President John F. Kennedy or actor Michael J. Fox!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

Great interview! Can't wait to hear "That's Why God Made The Radio". With all of the mentions in the press, is it safe to say it will be the 1st single?

Its got a PS feel remember. Its not a album of singles....but the whole album is a concept! (We wish).
The last thing in the world I want--ok, maybe not the very last thing in the whole world, but you get my point--is a concept album. I think it's mostly wasted effort. If some concept emerges through songs somehow linked, fine, but give me an album of the best songs they can muster. There is no shame whatsoever in a batch of 10-12 unrelated pop songs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »

I'll stick with concept thanks. Using 70 year old Beach Boys on a album of 'pop' songs leaves me concerned.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »

Probyn gives a great interview, that's for sure.  Very interesting to read his comments about the Grammys and the new album.  The "80's Beach Boys" thing scares me, but at least we seem to have one great track to look forward to. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Probyn gives a great interview, that's for sure.  Very interesting to read his comments about the Grammys and the new album.  The "80's Beach Boys" thing scares me, but at least we seem to have one great track to look forward to. 

Yeah, I wouldn't leap to any conclusions based on the 80's comment. There's even a big difference between "Crack at Your Love" 80's sound versus even something like "Somewhere Near Japan." I'm guessing there might be some Love-fueled nostalgia and a bit of "Still Cruisin'"-ish stuff going on, as opposed to something more overtly "80's" sounding.

Very interesting interview. Nice to hear the super practical stuff we usually don't think of, like how someone in the band at the grammys makes sure their stage gear is okay, or how the the heck they even drive to the arena and park and get into the building!

The Stamos comments seemed really straight forward. Basically, they have nearing 20 people in the band already, so why do they need another?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »

at least brian wrote like what, one song on still cruisin?  probyn said brian's hand is in most if not all of them
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

Am I the only one who likes Crack at your Love?   LOL
SBonilla
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »

Using 70 year old Beach Boys on a album of 'pop' songs leaves me concerned.
The album can't be anything else.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »

The word 'pop' means bubblegum, simple, 2min 30sec, teen music to these old ears.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »

"Pop" means "popular." All Beach Boys music is pop. Sometimes it's blended ever so slightly with other genres. But it's been pop from the start, and it continues to be.
SBonilla
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »

The word 'pop' means bubblegum, simple, 2min 30sec, teen music to these old ears.
I love all of those things! My definition is broader. If you're talking American Popular Music, it would include Ragtime, Rhythm and Blues, Jazz, Swing, Rock, Country and Western, Techno/Electronica, Metal, Hip-Hop and on and on.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Lol somebody doesn't think the Beach Boys are pop?

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »

Damn you youngins! Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

They were always pop. Not liking the word (or how music has evolved to confuse the meaning) doesn't much matter.

But my point is, that is what they have historically done best. Concepts are almost always awkward and forced. Good songs win. What kind of concept do I need Al Jardine or Mike Love singing to me? It's artificial seriousness. The music is pop. Be proud of it as it is, I say.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

The Beach Boys are pop, but there were songs on Pet Sounds and other albums that were deeper (not pop), and were great.

I'm excited about TWGMTR, but I would like read a band member or one of the musicians carrying on about how great at least one other song.  If they haven't written a song titled "Summer's Gone," Brian and Mike get together and write one. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »

I can't wait to hear these songs and take the time to reallly absorb them.    So much potential here.  Do you think Bruce will shoot for another grammy?
What will the main Wilson/Love song be like?  How will the production sound?  Will we get something like the better songs on Imagination?  Will it sound like the Wondermints with ML on lead vocals?  All of the above?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

I am really kinda intrigued what this album is gonna be like. I think it's gonna be a lot different than anything we are expecting. I think Brian is gonna sound really nice on it. I just have a feeling these are gonna be some of his best vocals performances in a really long time. And I think that he has at least a few classic Beach Boys tunes left in him.

As far as Bruce, if he indeed get a spot for one of his songs, I am really interested to see what direction the song takes. We really haven't heard a *new* Bruce Johnston song since....what? "Slow Summer Dancing"? I'm afraid he might try to write some lame kinda faux '50s ballad, or an overly lame sappy electric piano led thing, or at the worst, something that resembles modern country music since apparently that's what he's really into now. But I'm excited to hear a new Bruce song. I think "Deirdre" and  "The Nearest Faraway Place" are really beautiful, and maybe he will tap into that one more time.

I am nervous about the '80s thing though. I really hope Mike doesn't try to do anything like "Still Cruisin'" or lyrics like those from Summer In Paradise. I think Brian is gonna come up with the goods musically, and I just hope Mike doesn't embarrass himself. I have a feeling it's not gonna sound '80s, but I do think its definitely gonna be the 2011/2012 Beach Boys, and I think that is interesting. Because we already have the 1965 Beach Boys and whatnot. So for better or worse, I'm excited for whatever it is. Because you've got Brian seriously involved in a new album. So at the least, I think it will be very interesting.
mickey
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »

Maybe the production and songs will be similar to the Imagination album.  I enjoy the production and for the most part, the songs are quite listenable.  I think it should have done better in terms of sales but the song Imagination still makes me feel good when I hear it. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »

Am I the only one who likes Crack at your Love?   LOL
I'm a big fan of it. I love BB85.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx