gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:15:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Probyn Gregory interview - new album, tour & grammy's info  (Read 18411 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »

Hey guys,

Here's a new interview our blog just did with Probyn: http://musictimestwo.blogspot.com/2012/03/probyn-gregory-brian-wilsons-multi.html Check it out :D

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »

Very good read , and as usual from Probyn always honest sincere and informative ( great guy ) - Also note with great interest that he ( along with all involved etc.. ) is really sending out great vibes about the song 'God Invented Radio'
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »

Great interview....love Probyn's straightforward view on the latest events; very refreshing.   And he gives a mention to AGD--nice!

He's in a tough position having to balance both his family (and newborn son) with the upcoming tour.  Just one of those bad timings...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:24:16 AM by Justin » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »

80's beach boys?  so like what, a bunch of getcha backs?  i just hope it doesn't SOUND 80s. please. pleeaaaaseeee no 80s production.

and how good can this "god made the radio" song actually be???  stop hyping me!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:29:41 AM by Runaways » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

Really great, honest interview. Looking forward to seeing him again soon, as vital a part of the Beach Boys as he was for the Brian Wilson band. Great guy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »

"There's one awesome song, I can't wait to see what the public reaction is, I think the title is along the lines of "That's Why God Gave Us Radio". That's a really good song, even though I didn't play on it, which was kind of a bummer, but such is life, you can't have everything [laughs]."

Hope this doesn't mean the rest are crap - like 80s era Beach Boys stuff...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:34 AM »

Thanks for the link/interview ! Can't wait for the album and tour

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

We found out later, the actor Jay Silverheels, who played Tonto on the old TV show The Lone Ranger, had had some mental issues. Briefly Brian had committed himself to a sanitorium because he wasn't feeling well, so he was there for a short stay, amazingly enough at the same time as Jay. We will never know what happened, and Jay was a married family man, but you never know!

Wait...what? Was this in 1968?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

yeah he didn't seem high on the rest of the album past that song. hum hum
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

Guess he hasn't heard much finished product, just played on a few sessions. Doesn't mean a thing that he's only referencing one song as "really good".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »

80's beach boys?  so like what, a bunch of getcha backs?  i just hope it doesn't SOUND 80s. please. pleeaaaaseeee no 80s production.
Getcha Back doesn't really sound like most of the songs on  BB85. But I'd imagine he was referring to the Kokomo / Still Cruisin' sound when he meant 80s Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »

Since we talked to him it seems like he's been on some more recordings....fyi Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »

Getcha Back doesn't really sound like most of the songs on  BB85. But I'd imagine he was referring to the Kokomo / Still Cruisin' sound when he meant 80s Beach Boys.

You mean like Island Fever...? The "cousin of Kokomo" ?  Undecided

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

"People like Andrew G Doe over in the UK seem to have some sort of inside mole, they have information before anyone else that I know."

C'mon Andrew, you can tell me....  I promise to keep it a secret!

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »

"I saw Diana Ross coming down the hall, and I said to her "Hey! Looking good Diana!" because she had this nice dress and huge hair, but she didn't even acknowledge that anyone had spoken. You know, that kind of sucked, I don't wanna feel like a fanboy. I'm not 21 anymore, I'm a working musician, in the same game they are."

I guess he forgot to "call her Miss Ross."   LOL  Great interview-- thanks for posting the link
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »

"Kokomo / Still Cruisin' sound when he meant 80s Beach Boys."

f***, no...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

oh ok, f*ck loads better!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

The 80s thing is pretty arbitrary. We'll see. If he means "Somewhere Near Japan," that might be cool. If we mean "Wipeout," well ...

(We do have an album being overseen by Joe Thomas. We're not going to get hugely retro-sounding tracks. That's been clear for some time.)

But I'm actually cautiously optimistic. Seems like everyone is getting along, and Bruce contributing a song is excellent news.

Probyn is an amazing guy. I'm glad to hear he's playing a notable part in the record, and as a new father myself, I can really sympathize with his take on touring.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

80's sounding Beach Boys?... of course it will... its hardly going to sound like 1965 Beach Boys anymore..
they are all 70+ years old now... if its a 80's sound thats still pretty good...  Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

Great interview but it just made me nervous for the album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

1980s sound reminds me of imagination since Joe Thomas is involved....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

Yup. Joe Thomas is definitely going to affect the sound of this record. I am still looking forward to it, and I'm glad to hear that Bruce has been doing some producing of his own. The fact that Probyn didn't pull any punches makes me optimistic overall for the new record.

- B00ts
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »

Yup. Joe Thomas is definitely going to affect the sound of this record. I am still looking forward to it, and I'm glad to hear that Bruce has been doing some producing of his own. The fact that Probyn didn't pull any punches makes me optimistic overall for the new record.
I am looking forward as well, the BBs sound like they have way more creative control with JT than Brian did in 1998.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

Great interview! Can't wait to hear "That's Why God Made The Radio". With all of the mentions in the press, is it safe to say it will be the 1st single?
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

Brilliant interview...but : "The after party was crazy, it was actually at the site of the old Manson murder house. Which if you know Dennis Wilson's connection to the whole thing, it makes it very bizarre that The Beach Boys were ever invited to something like that."

WTF  Huh Huh Huh
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx