gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:47:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will the new album be good? Like....good? (Also hi)  (Read 5981 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:30 AM »

I predict it's going to sound like a cross between Imagination and TLOS, with lots of lead vocals by Alan and Mike and Foskett's voice prominent in the mix. In terms of lyrics we're probably going to get mostly inoffensive love-song material as well as some mildly embarrassing retro stuff (not as bad as the worst stuff on SIP, however). Pretty sure there are going to be a few nods to the classic Pet Sounds instrumentation but of course nothing experimental.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »

I predict it's going to sound like a cross between Imagination and TLOS, with lots of lead vocals by Alan and Mike and Foskett's voice prominent in the mix. In terms of lyrics we're probably going to get mostly inoffensive love-song material as well as some mildly embarrassing retro stuff (not as bad as the worst stuff on SIP, however). Pretty sure there are going to be a few nods to the classic Pet Sounds instrumentation but of course nothing experimental.

I really think everything you said will come true. That's exactly what I have pictured in my mind.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

I really think everything you said will come true. That's exactly what I have pictured in my mind.

Let's say we have a 12 track album. Obviously, a lot of songs will feature multiple guys. This is how I'd guess it breaks down --

5 leads from Mike
3 leads from Brian
3 leads from Al
1 from Bruce

And Brian will probably sing some bridge parts on the Mike-lead songs, and vice versa. Given how badly Al has ticked most of them off over the years, I can't see them handing him too many leads.

At the same time, IMO Brian will have at least three highlights, if not more. Just because they're his songs, and his people will be very keen to show that he's a big presence in the reunion.

In terms of what the album sounds like, I think that's a pretty good guess. I would add that I hope we hear some legitimate group vocals from the remaining guys. That would be very nice to hear. Maybe something a capella, if only for a few seconds.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

Let's say we have a 12 track album. Obviously, a lot of songs will feature multiple guys. This is how I'd guess it breaks down --

5 leads from Mike
3 leads from Brian
3 leads from Al
1 from Bruce

And Brian will probably sing some bridge parts on the Mike-lead songs, and vice versa. Given how badly Al has ticked most of them off over the years, I can't see them handing him too many leads.

At the same time, IMO Brian will have at least three highlights, if not more. Just because they're his songs, and his people will be very keen to show that he's a big presence in the reunion.

In terms of what the album sounds like, I think that's a pretty good guess. I would add that I hope we hear some legitimate group vocals from the remaining guys. That would be very nice to hear. Maybe something a capella, if only for a few seconds.

I think Al will be all over the album, his voice is the strongest of all the remaining members and I can see him having some big solo spots. (Think along the lines of his lines in Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan and Strange Things Happen)

I think Brian will handle all the ballad type vocals (imagine his voice on Colors of the Wind) and I wouldn't count Bruce out too much either. As I stated elsewhere, although Bruce's voice is somewhat weaker than it was he still has a relatively youthful quality to his voice so I can see him featuring like he does on Somewhere Near Japan. David will likely get a single lead vocal, I can see them including a sort of bluesy Sail On Sailor type track with him on lead.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »

Sure, we'll hear Al. But I don't know if he'll be spotlighted in quite the way you mention. Again, the personal issues. He was closest in to Carl in the later years, who is no longer around to smooth things out. But we'll see.

Good call on Bruce. He's also cool on that live version of "Summer in Paradise."

I'd love to hear from Dave. But I think it will come down to the number of tracks, and if he has a writing credit on there.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »

Sure, we'll hear Al. But I don't know if he'll be spotlighted in quite the way you mention. Again, the personal issues. He was closest in to Carl in the later years, who is no longer around to smooth things out. But we'll see.

Good call on Bruce. He's also cool on that live version of "Summer in Paradise."

I'd love to hear from Dave. But I think it will come down to the number of tracks, and if he has a writing credit on there.

Hopefully the guys have ironed all these things out and decisions on who sings what are taken purely on merit although it is the Beach Boys I guess so you never know! Summer In Paradise...Yes! Bruce's voice makes the chorus of that song I think. I do think Mike will feature on the most leads, as others have stated he is the voice of the Beach Boys in the minds (ears?) of the general public so I think the number of leads he has will reflect that.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »

At the very least, the best thing that can come out of this new record is that "Summer in Paradise" will no longer have to be remembered in the annals of history as the final Beach Boys album.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »

At the very least, the best thing that can come out of this new record is that "Summer in Paradise" will no longer have to be remembered in the annals of history as the final Beach Boys album.

I would restate it this way:

At the very least, the best thing that can come out of this new record is that "Stars & Stripes Vol. 1" will no longer have to be remembered in the annals of history as the final Beach Boys album.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

At the very least, the best thing that can come out of this new record is that "Stars & Stripes Vol. 1" will no longer have to be remembered in the annals of history as the final Beach Boys album.
you didnt like  caroline no on that album?
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »

Caroline No was beautiful, as was Warmth of the Sun, the problem was some of the other tracks.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »

The problem was that it should not have been the last Beach Boys album.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »

The problem was that it should not have been the last Beach Boys album.

And that!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

oh dear lord yes.  The idea that either of those albums was the last one ... man.  seriously, if we get something close to M.I.U. in quality, I will be ecstatic !

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 04:29:50 AM »

Mike has gone out of his way to mention how great Al's voice is these days.  I've forgotten which interview that was, but it's out there.  I suspect Al will get some leads.  We'll see soon enough.
Nicko1234
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 05:03:33 AM »

Sure, we'll hear Al. But I don't know if he'll be spotlighted in quite the way you mention. Again, the personal issues.

The personal issues were obviously much worse during the Summer in Paradise era but Al still featured heavily on Strange Things Happen, Under the Boardwalk, Island Fever etc.
Paulos
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »

One nice song does not a good album make. I never, ever want to listen to Stars & Stripes ever again, Sawyer Brown should be tried for crimes against music for what he did to I Get Around, same goes for virtually everyone else on that album.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

5 leads from Mike
3 leads from Brian
3 leads from Al
1 from Bruce

I'd like it to be like you say, with one  ML-led beach stomper, a good rocker, an Add Some Music-type anthem. However, in a recent interview Mike underplayed his role as a lead singer for the album and praised Al's vocals. So who knows.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx