gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:14:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hardcore Transition!  (Read 2656 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:25:05 PM »

Dont get me wrong, I loved the smiley smile approach to Leid in Hawaii, and I love the laid-backness of their other concerts in 67. (washington, Penn)
However, when you listen to the live band of 67, and compare it to the live band of 68, there is a drastic energy change. They have a brass section, they begin to include more new material, and its almost like somebody slapped them upside the head. Maybe I am crazy, but if there was a change, when did it take place, and why? Was there some event that just made them want to play better on stage? Thanks folks

greg
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »

Auxillary musicians helped out a LOT.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:17:33 PM »

i totally agree with you. live in london sounds great. was 68 the first time they had backing muscians in concert with horns? I love to hear the rarities---arent you glad, wake the world, country air, bluebirds, etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:35:23 AM »

i totally agree with you. live in london sounds great. was 68 the first time they had backing muscians in concert with horns? I love to hear the rarities---arent you glad, wake the world, country air, bluebirds, etc.

I totally agree.  It will be great to hear that new boot, with a live "How She Boogalooed It".

Other good early live rarities: "Heroes", "Gettin Hungry", "Hawthorne Blvd", "The Letter", "Wild Honey"...

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:13:57 AM »

The big change in "dynamics" happened when Carl took over directing the live presentation...Brian was the one who'd previously insisted on the barely there guitars, and minimal drums in the post Smile "chill out" period. The group (or Carl and Dennis) decided in late '67 - 68 that this format was killing their appeal as a concert attraction...especially in comparison to what was happening around them on concert bills. A revamp to a bigger sound with full drums, pumped up bass, and brass was a good call IMO.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:42 AM »

How doctored was Live In London, if any?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »

Daryl and Ron Brown were the first thing to make a difference, as well as the decision to hire them.

How soon after adding Ron and Daryl did they go to the horn section as well?  Less then a year, wasn't it?
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »

Yeah, I never new that Brian was "in charge" of their live act. I guess I never thought about it. I am glad Carl decided to amp it upa bit. I love the horn section and the addition of a good bass player. Dont me wrong, Bruce was ok, but I like him on keys a lot better. One thing I did notice as they made the transition was that the vocals seemed to take the backseat.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:31:58 PM »

Daryl Dragon and Ron Brown are both credited with being present on the new Vocal Element live 67 boot set, though despite the band's professionalism during the performances there's maybe an unlying hint that they might be fearing the end of their careers? There's some form of desperation, and acceptance that maybe their time to fade away has come -  afterall, suddenly Brian's taking less of a hand, other bands are up-coming and a sea-change is happening in the music world. They're still playing Graduation Day, Johnny B Good and I Get Around. Despite Pet Sounds and Good Vibes this is the same band, in almost every respect, that appears on the Lost Concert DVD, just with a few new tuns to offer. No wonder they pumped it up in the coming months. They needed to offer more entertainment to the punters walking through the door for a live show.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx