gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:13:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed Sullivan and stuff  (Read 2232 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

Hey Everybody,

Last night I was flipping through that Badman book, and it says that the Beach Boys were on Ed Sullivan 3 times. I only though they were on once. I know they did I get around and Wendy, but I thought that was the same show. Am I wrong? Thanks guys!

greg
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:37:07 PM »

They were on two Ed Sullivan episodes that aired...I Get Around and Wendy in 1964...and Do It Again and Good Vibrations in 1968...both of these performances have widely circulated. However, Badman's book claims the BB's filmed a Sullivan performance for Help Me Rhonda in 1965, which for unexplained reasons never aired. No footage of this has surfaced. Whether or not this actually happened I can't say...But personally I do not trust Badman's research, or lack thereof. I've found many discrepencies and out and out wrong information in that book. His errors in the '62 - '63 years are huge. BTW...I still enjoyed the book's format, photos, etc... because I'm a fan it was an enjoyable read...but don't trust that you are reading well vetted facts. He needed to hire an expert researcher and proof reader instead on relying so much on tired journalism and myth.
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »

Thanks a lot for the information. That is to bad that the book cannot be trusted. I too like the format and pictures. That is interesting that something as black and white as that is still blurry. You would think that somebody here would know if they were there or not.  I bet if they did play, it was awesome. Man, I love The Beach Boys. Thanks for the information Jon.

Greg
MBE
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

I have an audio taped interview from 1965  and The Beach Boys do say they are going on Ed's show. They must of either been making it up, or were bumped. I assumed this was were Badman got his info.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:51:57 PM »

Sounds kind of fishy, though.  Didn't bands usually do more than 1 performance on Sullivan, when they were the Beach Boys' caliber?  They did two songs on the two shows that we know exist, but supposedly only 1 on the show that nobody has ever seen. 
XY
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:06:44 PM »

I read somewhere that the BB didn't perform because Brian felt bad and backed out in the last minute. During the show, Sullivan told the audience why the BB wouldn't perform and wished Brian a speedy recovery.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:40:06 AM »

Thanks Jasper...that sounds like a mystery solved. And Ron's right...they would have done two songs. I'm now wondering what the second song would have been if the performance had come off as planned? I'm betting on Do You Wanna Dance?... As the BB's had recently done that one on Shindig! Or maybe they would have done ballad like Please Let Me Wonder.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx