gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:20:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill O'Reily salutes The Beach Boys :)  (Read 26972 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

I don't mind O'Reilly, actually. He's kind of amusing sometimes. The key thing to remember, of course, is that he is purely an entertainer, like Jay Leno. He's not a serious political analyst or journalist and he doesn't try to be. His function is to get ratings, not give substance, and that's precisely what he does and he does it well. It's a mistake to really take him seriously. This really isn't the worst thing that could happen to the Beach Boys.

I agree with this, and it holds true for the majority of what passes for journalism and political analysis in the American media. You can't take 99.9% of it seriously, from O'Reilly to Olbermann, from Matt Lauer to Sean Hannity, from Pelosi to Romney, from the Boston Herald to the New York Times. It's a business, it's entertainment, it's driven by focus groups and likeability ratings, and ultimately it's presented in a way designed to draw larger ratings and therefore more advertising revenue for sponsors who pay to have their company name displayed alongside the "news".

One of the harmful effects of presenting news and politics as a spectator sport for entertainment is that an entertainer like O'Reilly makes a statement on something I'd say most if not all members on this board agree with, and it becomes about Bill O'Reilly the messenger as much as the message, which most of us would express the same way - it's great to see the Beach Boys back together and still making music. Yes! Who cares who said it if we agree with them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

Oh: and BTW, all the Beach Boys are republicans.  
Not really, Brian supported Gore in 2000. Now, back on topic, please.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

And then Bush in 04' McCain in 08... that's a republican.  Sorry; it's the truth. 

I didn't take this off topic, but I"m not going to sit by and let people say one side without reflecting the other.  If you don't like it, ban me, or ban them, but I'm not going to shut up. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

I don't mind O'Reilly, actually. He's kind of amusing sometimes. The key thing to remember, of course, is that he is purely an entertainer, like Jay Leno. He's not a serious political analyst or journalist and he doesn't try to be. His function is to get ratings, not give substance, and that's precisely what he does and he does it well. It's a mistake to really take him seriously. This really isn't the worst thing that could happen to the Beach Boys.

I agree with this, and it holds true for the majority of what passes for journalism and political analysis in the American media. You can't take 99.9% of it seriously, from O'Reilly to Olbermann, from Matt Lauer to Sean Hannity, from Pelosi to Romney, from the Boston Herald to the New York Times. It's a business, it's entertainment, it's driven by focus groups and likeability ratings, and ultimately it's presented in a way designed to draw larger ratings and therefore more advertising revenue for sponsors who pay to have their company name displayed alongside the "news".

One of the harmful effects of presenting news and politics as a spectator sport for entertainment is that an entertainer like O'Reilly makes a statement on something I'd say most if not all members on this board agree with, and it becomes about Bill O'Reilly the messenger as much as the message, which most of us would express the same way - it's great to see the Beach Boys back together and still making music. Yes! Who cares who said it if we agree with them.

Spot on.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

Exactly, I agree 100%
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

Not really, Brian supported Gore in 2000. Now, back on topic, please.

Vigilante moderation at it's best.

Bill O'Reily is a political figure. In fact, I see discussion of his politics and the Beach Boys politics as being very on topic.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »

Hi Mikie;   Do I know you?  You refer to me as if I do, but I've never heard of you, or if I have, I can't remember.

Yes.  A blast from the past.  I'm your worst nightmare.  Remember me now?

But at the risk of taking up valuable real estate to discuss politics here, I will reluctantly refrain. Ask Mr. Rock & Roll - I don't bow out gracefully from political discussion, especially with Right Wingnuts.  At ease, Ron, this is for another time.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Beach Boys tributes and accolades from people in all walks of life. Fans, politicians, musicians, people from music and show business, all forms of media, the whole gamut. Maybe there should be a separate thread for all the congratulatory quotes and stuff that will be coming in.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

FoxNews is the #1 watched news channel.  There's a reason for that. 

Yes - they've realized just how journalism has become, in the United States, a spectator sport that functions purely to entertain and then upped the ante.

The republican slant is refreshing from all the mind-numbing nonsense coming from MSNBC or CNN. 

They both present virtually the same point of view with small, meaningless and insubtantial differences. They both pretend like they are diametrically opposed to each other in order to keep the farce going that there's real political debate in the mainstream, and sometimes their viewers fall for it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Hi Mikie;   Do I know you?  You refer to me as if I do, but I've never heard of you, or if I have, I can't remember.

Yes.  A blast from the past.  I'm your worst nightmare.  Remember me now?

But at the risk of taking up valuable real estate to discuss politics here, I will reluctantly refrain. Ask Mr. Rock & Roll - I don't bow out gracefully from political discussion, especially with Right Wingnuts.  At ease, Ron, this is for another time.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Beach Boys tributes and accolades from people in all walks of life. Fans, politicians, musicians, people from music and show business, all forms of media, the whole gamut. Maybe there should be a separate thread for all the congratulatory quotes and stuff that will be coming in.

Right Wingnut?  f*** you.  I'm a republican, not a "Right Wingnut".  Apologize, asshole. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

And: No, I still don't remember you.  Where did we meet? 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »

Right Wingnut?  f*ck you.  I'm a republican, not a "Right Wingnut".  Apologize, asshole. 

Nah, you're a Right Wingnut in the true sense of the word. You write like one, you act like one, you even look like one. I've followed your rants here for a few months and I find you to be real funny, but in a weird, nonsensical way.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »

So you're stalking me?  Apology?  I didn't call you a "Leftwingnut", have a little class, Asswipe. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »

Well i tried, now I got my popcorn ready for this! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »

I ain't apologizing for anything, Ronnie.  Be nice.  Chuck and the mods here want it that way.

Let's get back on track. I hope The Beach Boys will get a lot of tributes from a lot of people this year.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:07:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »

Can someone read what this guy wrote about me, and kindly send me a PM?  It's going to be harder to get my restraining order signed if It appears I directly interacted with him. 

LOL
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

haaaaa! thriller Smiley
oldsurferdude
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that Nancy Pelosi doesn't honor them in some way.  That would be HORRIBLE, I don't know what I'd do.  Can you imagine?  Somebody I disagree with, agreeing with me?  THE HORROR

What the Hell's wrong with Pelosi? I'd rather see her pay tribute to The Boys than that buttwipe Speaker of the House John Boner!
Amen, brotha!  Grin
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

At least he's on FoxNews where he belongs... not a lot of serious journalism happening there.

Actually, that's pretty much the only place there IS any serious journalism going on (unless of course you mean "journalism" that  merely parrots the entrenched liberal talking points while acting as the press room for the current administration). It's one of the few places you can get any honest challenge to the prevailing dishonest whitewash by the left-leaning media of current events, particularly the stories they refuse to cover at all because they are contrary to their own political views.  You obviously really don't know the reputations and pedigrees of the large majority of the Fox news staff and anchors.  If you don't like the views of their conservative commentators, fine, those are commentators, but remember Fox is just about the only news channel that consistently offers viewpoints from commentators across the political spectrum.  You will not find that on a lot if any of the other stations - they generally offer one side, the liberal one, and if you don't like it, "tough.  We're smarter than you and our view is the only one you need".  And O'Reilly is not an entertainer - he is a serious reporter with an MA from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard who covers stories that people need to hear, no matter which side of the spectrum they fall on. He holds people accountable for their actions and their words, which is something the libs don't like, so they refuse to participate in the debate (and then claim Fox is "biased" when they're the ones refusing to take part.)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

I love it when people bandy 'liberal' around as an insult, btw.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:26:06 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SBonilla
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »

At least he's on FoxNews where he belongs... not a lot of serious journalism happening there.

Actually, that's pretty much the only place there IS any serious journalism going on (unless of course you mean "journalism" that  merely parrots the entrenched liberal talking points while acting as the press room for the current administration). It's one of the few places you can get any honest challenge to the prevailing dishonest whitewash by the left-leaning media of current events, particularly the stories they refuse to cover at all because they are contrary to their own political views.  You obviously really don't know the reputations and pedigrees of the large majority of the Fox news staff and anchors.  If you don't like the views of their conservative commentators, fine, those are commentators, but remember Fox is just about the only news channel that consistently offers viewpoints from commentators across the political spectrum.  You will not find that on a lot if any of the other stations - they generally offer one side, the liberal one, and if you don't like it, "tough.  We're smarter than you and our view is the only one you need".  And O'Reilly is not an entertainer - he is a serious reporter with an MA from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard who covers stories that people need to hear, no matter which side of the spectrum they fall on. He holds people accountable for their actions and their words, which is something the libs don't like, so they refuse to participate in the debate (and then claim Fox is "biased" when they're the ones refusing to take part.)
Was that a Manager of Media Relations audition? How'd he do, Rupe?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »

This going to get really ugly, everybody lets just take a deep breath and count to 10.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SBonilla
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »

This going to get really ugly, everybody lets just take a deep breath and count to 10.....

I'm fine now. Don't worry 'bout me.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »

I really don't need Bill O'Reily to salute the Beach Boys.

Yeah, I suppose I'd feel the same way if a cynical douche like Bill Maher were to salute the group. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

That's a fantasy. Bruce is a republican, Mike is sometimes, Brian is independent, Dennis non-political, Carl was a pacifist, Al no way he's a republican, David I know for a fact is not a republican. Blondie no. Ricky no. So... 1 1/2 out of 9. That's a very loose definition of ALL.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx