gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:42:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill O'Reily salutes The Beach Boys :)  (Read 26762 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SEZTJDFvpc
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »

Nice to know the band has a special place in his "spin zone."

No mas, por favor.
Paulos
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:59:11 AM »

Bill'O is a sack of sh*t, but seems to have good taste in music.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:53:11 AM »

I hate the Beach Boys now!!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »

Bill O'Reilly, whether you agree with his point of view, or not, has earned his stripes as a broadcast journalist...

BU grad, classmate of Howard Stern, student of Marvin Kalb, at Harvard, studied in London; O'Reilly worked in the trenches, from the local TV stations as a consumer reporter, to the liberal Boston Phoenix. 

He was born in 1949; of course he is gives them "the nod."

At some point he said he had seen them 18 times and plans to see the Reunion of the Boys.  18 is likely a conservative number.  I might not agree with his point of view, but, agree with his great taste in music!  Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »

Watching the commentary, Bill is right on this one. The Beach Boys have been doing what they do since the early 60's, and have *survived*. That, in itself, is significant. But the point that hit me was the word "uplifting" which he used to describe their music.

Are there many bands or artists who make music as uplifting as The Beach Boys? And when you get deeper into the history of the band, you realize how much turmoil was going on behind all the great feelings their music was giving their fans...it's an amazing contradiction that music which continues to make people happy and has done that since the early 60's came from that turmoil.

It is still amazing how listeners of all ages can be touched and uplifted by this music, especially those bad days when you need a laugh or a smile and a song like "Wouldn't It Be Nice" pops up on the radio at random.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

Don't care for O'Reilly myself (reminds me of Rush Limbarf) but I have renewed respect for him now.  Nice words.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »

Watching the commentary, Bill is right on this one. The Beach Boys have been doing what they do since the early 60's, and have *survived*. That, in itself, is significant. But the point that hit me was the word "uplifting" which he used to describe their music.

Are there many bands or artists who make music as uplifting as The Beach Boys? And when you get deeper into the history of the band, you realize how much turmoil was going on behind all the great feelings their music was giving their fans...it's an amazing contradiction that music which continues to make people happy and has done that since the early 60's came from that turmoil.

It is still amazing how listeners of all ages can be touched and uplifted by this music, especially those bad days when you need a laugh or a smile and a song like "Wouldn't It Be Nice" pops up on the radio at random.

Right on!  Uplifting! Making people happy!  

And, I think a lot of the magic of the music, is in the way that they seemed to identify what people wondered about, and worried over, and somehow put that into the composition or lyrics.  It has given sort of a "safe harbor" that is healthy and positive.  

It is no wonder that there was turmoil.  When you are at the top, everyone (including charlatans) want to be "your friend." But, they are survivors.  I think working with their own bands, has only made them better, and more exacting with the music, causing them to grow tremendously.  They can respect their own life's work.  

Amazing that the music has, like a river, found its' way into movie scores, commercial jingles, art and culture.  They are all part of something quite remarkable, that will surely be validated as this Reunion tour and album pick up steam.  

Uplifting! Yeah, baby!  Wink
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:45:25 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

O'Reilly's a fan anyway. I've seen a few of his [unbiased] reports on Brian and The Boys through the years on "Current  Affair" and "Inside Edition".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »

I really don't need Bill O'Reily to salute the Beach Boys.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »

I like Bill O'Reilly because he might fly off the cuff at any minute and explode into a rant on live television like that excellent Utube clip floating around.  I have never seen anything like that, it was awesome.  Nice to see him promote the Beach Boys a little bit.  Maybe they'll play at the republican national convention in a few months, that would be great!

Grin

Shocked

Evil

LOL

Wink

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

Can we all just grow up a little? There will be accolades from all over the spectrum.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that Nancy Pelosi doesn't honor them in some way.  That would be HORRIBLE, I don't know what I'd do.  Can you imagine?  Somebody I disagree with, agreeing with me?  THE HORROR
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

I don't mind O'Reilly, actually. He's kind of amusing sometimes. The key thing to remember, of course, is that he is purely an entertainer, like Jay Leno. He's not a serious political analyst or journalist and he doesn't try to be. His function is to get ratings, not give substance, and that's precisely what he does and he does it well. It's a mistake to really take him seriously. This really isn't the worst thing that could happen to the Beach Boys.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:55 AM »

He recently called Willie Nelosn a "creep" for being a marijuana advocate.

At least he's on FoxNews where he belongs... not a lot of serious journalism happening there.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »

Can we all just grow up a little? There will be accolades from all over the spectrum.

No need to get your undies in bunch about my little opinion about Bill O'Reily. There will be accolades from all over the spectrum (such is the appeal of the BB) but you should accept that opinions will also be all over spectrum. So unless you plan on telling everyone with an opinion to grow up, perhaps taking a bit of a chill on your part is okie dokie.  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that Nancy Pelosi doesn't honor them in some way.  That would be HORRIBLE, I don't know what I'd do.  Can you imagine?  Somebody I disagree with, agreeing with me?  THE HORROR

What the Hell's wrong with Pelosi? I'd rather see her pay tribute to The Boys than that buttwipe Speaker of the House John Boner!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »

*sigh* Hear we go again....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »

Hang on, Smile Brian, I got my panties in a twist.........Ronnie is getting vocal again.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »

Just don't want this thread to turn into a political shouting match with everybody getting nasty.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »

No need to get your undies in bunch about my little opinion about Bill O'Reily. There will be accolades from all over the spectrum (such is the appeal of the BB) but you should accept that opinions will also be all over spectrum. So unless you plan on telling everyone with an opinion to grow up, perhaps taking a bit of a chill on your part is okie dokie.  Smiley
Some of you guys try to make political statements in here and there is nothing political about some news guy liking The Boys. I could care less what your views are, as I'm sure that you care less about mine. Stay on topic for a change. It's about him giving props to the band, and not is political views.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »

Hang on, Smile Brian, I got my panties in a twist.........Ronnie is getting vocal again.

Hi Mikie;
  Do I know you?  You refer to me as if I do, but I've never heard of you, or if I have, I can't remember.  

What's wrong with Nancy Pelosi?  She's a horrible politician; almost every opinion she has is ass-backwards.

Here's a good one about the health care bill.

"We've got to pass the bill, before we can understand what's in it"

She's a politician who signs bills into law that she's never even read.  That's the epitome of the worst kind of politician; governing and signing into law, things that govern the rest of us, WITHOUT EVEN READING IT.

When was the last time you signed a contract that effected the lives of every person born in the country, WITHOUT EVEN READING IT?

That you would ask what's wrong with her is mind boggling.  Do you support that kind of behavior?  Is that your idea of a good politician?  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »

He recently called Willie Nelosn a "creep" for being a marijuana advocate.

At least he's on FoxNews where he belongs... not a lot of serious journalism happening there.

FoxNews is the #1 watched news channel.  There's a reason for that.  The republican slant is refreshing from all the mind-numbing nonsense coming from MSNBC or CNN. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

Oh: and BTW, all the Beach Boys are republicans. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »

...and here we go!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,