gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681337 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 04:24:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Mike Love a good singer?  (Read 19101 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »

I can't picture any Beach Boy singing "I Can't Stop Loving You" too well.  Maybe Carl, but not anyone else, even Brian.  And Carl would be a stretch.

You know Dennis would nail it.

Carl would do the right things.

Brian would be ok.

Bruce would send it to number one.

Mike would be OK at it. Maybe he's got the Country thing down by now.
SBonilla
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »

I think Mike gets judged by one voicing he got locked into by Brian and then apparently felt compelled to keep up even after Brian had dropped out as Producer. I wish he had been allowed or felt compelled to use his voicings on Kiss Me Baby and especially Devoted To You much more. Of course that is not as distinctive as his nasal voicing and therefore not as iconic so maybe Brian and he knew what they were doing all along.

His bass/bartitone is knock out imo.   
Yes, he nails his bass parts. Often,  they aren't easy ones, either.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

I think Mike is a good singer. His delivery in it's prime was a building block of the Beach Boys achievements!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »

I can't picture any Beach Boy singing "I Can't Stop Loving You" too well.  Maybe Carl, but not anyone else, even Brian.  And Carl would be a stretch.

You know Dennis would nail it.

Sure, but Dennis would nail anythingEvil
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

i don't think i'd say he has a good voice, but he's a good singer
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2012, 02:28:46 AM »

If millions of people buy records that you sing on, you can't be all that bad.

I guess Ke$ha (sp?) is a good singer, too, then.

Apparently her voice has a certain quality that makes it appealing to a whole lot of people. So yes, that does make her a good singer, even if she might not be good technically (but then again, neither are Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits...). Like it or not, if millions of people are willing to pay to hear you sing, than it's hard to deny that you're a good singer.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2012, 02:36:47 AM »

If millions of people buy records that you sing on, you can't be all that bad.

I guess Ke$ha (sp?) is a good singer, too, then.

Apparently her voice has a certain quality that makes it appealing to a whole lot of people. So yes, that does make her a good singer, even if she might not be good technically (but then again, neither are Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits...). Like it or not, if millions of people are willing to pay to hear you sing, than it's hard to deny that you're a good singer.

Sue me for sounding elitist, but popular opinion is never an absolute indication of quality. Turn on the television, turn on the radio, browse some YouTube comments and see what a large amount of people are watching these days, listening to these days, and saying these days. 17 million Jersey Shore fans CAN be wrong imoimoimoimo

Yes, 17 million. And those are just the ones with Facebook access. Believe it. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

Sue me for sounding elitist, but popular opinion is never an absolute indication of quality.

I agree, popularity doesn't equal quality. But still: there are billions of people on this planet and just a few hundred of them can do a trick that millions of people are willing to hear or see them do for money. So if you're one of those lucky few, it's pretty much an established fact that you must somehow be doing your trick well.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »

Mike is a great singer with one of the most recognizable voices in rock n roll history.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »

Sue me for sounding elitist, but popular opinion is never an absolute indication of quality.

I agree, popularity doesn't equal quality. But still: there are billions of people on this planet and just a few hundred of them can do a trick that millions of people are willing to hear or see them do for money. So if you're one of those lucky few, it's pretty much an established fact that you must somehow be doing your trick well.

Oh fine. You with your calm, rational approach to things ;(

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »

In support of Mike, I'm gonna mention "Johnny Carson". I love his vocal in that.

Then again, I actually like him when he's nasal. He just sounds so much like Mike Love! I'm thinking of his lines in "Santa Ana Winds" or his verse in the Knebworth version of "Sloop John B". It almost sounds like when Brian is making fun of him in "Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson", it's so extreme. But it's just so distinct.

I've long felt that the greatest singers in pop history aren't necessarily the ones who sound the best, if that makes any sense. Edith Piaf, Bob Dylan, Louis Armstrong, these are all legendary singers whose voices aren't technically what's desired in a singer, per se, but their voices fit the music they're singing so perfectly that you wouldn't have it any other way. Mike's voice isn't in the same league, necessarily, but it's along the same lines.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »

Mike may not have a GREAT voice, but he knows how to get the most of out of it. Carl was blessed with a beautiful set of pipes, but he also knew how to use them. The two are not synonymous (i.e, any number of present day singers blessed with pipes of gold that think they have to oversing everything).
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Then again, I actually like him when he's nasal. He just sounds so much like Mike Love! I'm thinking of his lines in "Santa Ana Winds" or his verse in the Knebworth version of "Sloop John B". It almost sounds like when Brian is making fun of him in "Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson", it's so extreme. But it's just so distinct.

Agreed. Mike is what sends Santa Ana Winds from a good song to a great song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

A Good Singer, But somewhat of a Douche...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »

No one in the Beach Boys saga is an angel, though. Far from it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

The only musical talent Mike ever had was for giving his sax a good blow job. Other than that, I think he just needed to blow his nose more often.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »

I'll buy into the last part of that.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx