gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681419 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 01:05:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening To Beach Boys With Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones on :D  (Read 14357 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »

Wow!  Listening now!  You'd be my hero if you did this with:

HCTN (Disco)
Macarena (by Los Del Rio)
Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) (by Crystal Waters)
that song that the Charlie Brown and the Peanuts dance to on A Charlie Brown Christmas

No joke!  I would listen all the way through for each one!
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

I'm only down with active noise cancelling headphones (and over the ear ones at that). These ones all utilize batteries to create a way to block surrounding sound (whereas the normal noise cancelling headphones simply have well designed ear muffs, but don't actively block anything). If you live in a city and use public transit, you can't hear sh*t with earbuds or non-noise canceling phones. I think the Bose set runs out about $300, but it's definitely the best I've heard (although, frankly, I don't think you want to be walking around with sh*t that expensive on in the city, especially since the brand name is on the side).

Best cheap option runs you about $100 for the models from Able Planet which have excellent active noise cancellation and well designed ear muffs. They're the best way to go if you aren't willing to spend the money for Bose.

However, if you are mostly going to be listening in quieter areas or at home, then there's no real need to get noise cancellation ones. In that case, just read reviews and go for the best sounding ones (although, I will say that the active noise cancellation sets from Bose are surprisingly at the top of that range as well).
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »

Are those Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones the absolute top of the line best ones to get, or do they just happen to be the most expensive? I guess what I'm asking is, does the price reflect the product?

For the price they are some of the best head phones I've ever owned. I could go on with my list, if you'd like. It goes up to $1500. These are merely opinions that I am sharing, but as a self-proclaimed audiophile I enjoy them.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »

Are those Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones the absolute top of the line best ones to get, or do they just happen to be the most expensive? I guess what I'm asking is, does the price reflect the product?

For the price they are some of the best head phones I've ever owned. I could go on with my list, if you'd like. It goes up to $1500. These are merely opinions that I am sharing, but as a self-proclaimed audiophile I enjoy them.
I'm just wondering what people think of Koss headphones, compared to other more expensive ones. Are the more expensive ones really worth the price, or are they just "souped up"(i.e. more professional looking) versions of the cheaper brands. I use Koss headphones and I think they're great. But for all I know, what I think is "great" might go miles beyond that.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »

I was honestly expecting this thread to be about a potentially awesome Dre-Beach Boys mashup or something. I'm pretty disappointed it's not, actually...
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

OMG idk where to start I heard all these harmonies I didn't notice at first Smiley the whole Today album blew me away it already seemed like Brian was mastering this complex yet beautiful sound...Seriously it was so beautiful it could make you cry  Cry..
Has anyone ever tried beats by dre headphones? They are seriously worth the couple hundred dollars.
Ever hear parts of a song that you didn't notice before that swept you away?
At first I didn't know the difference between mono and stereo..now I do and I realize I prefer stereo Smiley...
When did Brian start working with the wrecking crew & how did it come about?

You spend a couple hundred bucks on any pair of headphones and you're sure to notice the considerable improvement...I can't assume Dr. Dre's brand is superior to many that are out there. 

In the meantime, have you tried Wikipedia to answer your question?
when i first got my ipod i listened to the music through the apple earphones...it was ok...so i switched to sony and they were worse then apple...now i have beats by dre earphones and the music sounds a million times better because you can hear everything so clearly but you won't totally understand me because you have to hear it for yourself.
no it didn't :/
Whatever, he got them as a gift and they are better than the previous headphones he had. He can hear new detail in the music. This is all good stuff.

New guy, it is true that at some point, you should check out lossless (wav, flac, apple lossless or best of all, vinyl) versions of the songs. They will offer you much better clarity, depth, and stereo separation. Also, if you are going to upgrade, definitely check out the above listed headphones, such as the HD280s.  In the meantime, It is cool that the Beats headphones are an improvement over what you had before.

Everybody, he is a new guy. His screen name says so. How about how we discuss the superior quality of lossless/high resolution Beach Boys music through good headphones instead of jumping all over him for not getting the best brand and model?

- B00ts
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »

Speaking of vinyl, there is something I have always wanted to know. Let's say that somebody unwraps a mint condition vinyl, and then copies it directly to cd without even listening to it. How much of a difference is there between the cd and the actual record being played on a record player? Don't laugh at me if this is a "no brainer" type question. I'm a vinyl novice.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »

the first time a sole Wrecking Crew musician played on a BB's record was on "Our Car Club" in '63...

If I may split this particular hair still further, that's technically not a BB recording: originally Brian intended it for The Honeys as "Rabbit's Foot", ergo the first BB session that used a crew member was... um... "Hawaii" or "Catch A Wave".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »

Speaking of vinyl, there is something I have always wanted to know. Let's say that somebody unwraps a mint condition vinyl, and then copies it directly to cd without even listening to it. How much of a difference is there between the cd and the actual record being played on a record player? Don't laugh at me if this is a "no brainer" type question. I'm a vinyl novice.
It depends on how well it is transferred. If it is transferred pristinely, it will sound pretty damn close to the original vinyl. If it is transferred into 24 bit high resolution audio, it will sound almost identical.

- B00ts
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

It depends on how well it is transferred. If it is transferred pristinely, it will sound pretty damn close to the original vinyl. If it is transferred into 24 bit high resolution audio, it will sound almost identical.
Pretty much this. It is also highly dependent upon the users equipment. I am heavily into vinyl rips nowadays and am huge on listening to such rippers like "Pbthal" and "Dr. Robert". Of course I have my own equipment, but it is nice to be able to have vinyl audio on the go.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »

Anyone who is needs a very cheap but also very good sounding headphones, Try the in ear Samsung headphones, Only £25 in Argos.
Got my pair free with my upgraded phone, But I'm totally amazed at the sounds these cheap headphones can produce, Not too bassy too Grin.
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »

Anyone who is needs a very cheap but also very good sounding headphones, Try the in ear Samsung headphones, Only £25 in Argos.
Got my pair free with my upgraded phone, But I'm totally amazed at the sounds these cheap headphones can produce, Not too bassy too Grin.
over-bassy headphones are the worst. unfortunately, it's what most of the kids have nowadays.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:21 AM »

over-bassy headphones are the worst. unfortunately, it's what most of the kids have nowadays.
Philips are the worse cheap phones for over bassy sounds as when you go over half the volumn level on your player it gets unlisteningable.
Like I said Samsung are for me the best of the very cheap headphones great mid range and almost no bass too.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »

the first time a sole Wrecking Crew musician played on a BB's record was on "Our Car Club" in '63...

If I may split this particular hair still further, that's technically not a BB recording: originally Brian intended it for The Honeys as "Rabbit's Foot", ergo the first BB session that used a crew member was... um... "Hawaii" or "Catch A Wave".

Does it ever suck to wake up in the morning and know that you can't possibly learn anything new about The Beach Boys?  LOL
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »

Audio elitism  Cool Guy

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »

I'll take your split hair and split it a couple more times...definitely not "Catch A Wave" unless you consider Maureen Love a "crew member"...Hawaii, yes, Hal on timbales...Brian may have intended "Rabbit's Foot" as a Honey's track but its still Brian, Carl, Dave etc...on the session along with Hal and Steve. The reason we go with "Our Car Club" is that it ended up a Beach Boys track and its the first time Dave recalls seeing a Wrecking Crew member joining a BB's performed tracking session....Dave probably would not have known Brian was temporarily intending to use the track elsewhere.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

OMG idk where to start I heard all these harmonies I didn't notice at first Smiley the whole Today album blew me away it already seemed like Brian was mastering this complex yet beautiful sound...Seriously it was so beautiful it could make you cry  Cry..
Has anyone ever tried beats by dre headphones? They are seriously worth the couple hundred dollars.
At first I didn't know the difference between mono and stereo..now I do and I realize I prefer stereo Smiley...

You spend a couple hundred bucks on any pair of headphones and you're sure to notice the considerable improvement...I can't assume Dr. Dre's brand is superior to many that are out there. 

when i first got my ipod i listened to the music through the apple earphones...it was ok...so i switched to sony and they were worse then apple...now i have beats by dre earphones and the music sounds a million times better because you can hear everything so clearly but you won't totally understand me because you have to hear it for yourself.
Whatever, he got them as a gift and they are better than the previous headphones he had. He can hear new detail in the music. This is all good stuff.

New guy, it is true that at some point, you should check out lossless (wav, flac, apple lossless or best of all, vinyl) versions of the songs. They will offer you much better clarity, depth, and stereo separation. Also, if you are going to upgrade, definitely check out the above listed headphones, such as the HD280s.  In the meantime, It is cool that the Beats headphones are an improvement over what you had before.

Everybody, he is a new guy. His screen name says so. How about how we discuss the superior quality of lossless/high resolution Beach Boys music through good headphones instead of jumping all over him for not getting the best brand and model?
Smiley it is but as usual i'm always getting attacked for no reason smh...i thought the songs on my ipod were wav files i'm confused can you please tell me what you mean...
yes they are and if they ever break i will definitely check out the ones you suggested Smiley it just made me appreciate the beach boys music more...thanks for not bashing me Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »

wow so he even used the wrecking crew early in his career ? i thought it was just later onb in the bb's career Razz
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

Boots - you are a legend!  Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.   The wikapaedia comment was rude as.  Yeah, the guy is new and asked questions he could of got elsewhere, but he chose to ask them here. Probably more for a discussion really.  If you don't want to answer someones question, then DONT. No need to be painful about it!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »

Smiley it is but as usual i'm always getting attacked for no reason smh...i thought the songs on my ipod were wav files i'm confused can you please tell me what you mean...
yes they are and if they ever break i will definitely check out the ones you suggested Smiley it just made me appreciate the beach boys music more...thanks for not bashing me Smiley
No problem, Newguy. Glad to hear that you are listening in-depth to this wonderful music!

MP3 and AAC (iTunes) files are compressed, so they can be much much smaller than .wav files. Where a .wav file might be 20 or 30 megabytes, MP3 and AAC are only about 2 or 3 megabytes. You may have .wav files on your iPod, it depends on how you obtained the tracks. If you bought them from the iTunes store, they are similar to MP3 and not great quality. MP3 basically takes out frequencies that it thinks the listener can't hear, in order to make a smaller file. Here is a primer on the differences between .wav and mp3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gdwpPrv_8

The best thing for you to do would probably be to rip Beach Boys CDs in iTunes with the Apple Lossless encoder, which you can select in iTunes preferences (Google "ripping CDs in Apple Lossless" for more info). Apple Lossless is a codec that keeps the sound quality of .wav but also shrinks the file to a manageable size. So, the audio is a direct duplicate of what you would hear on the CD.

Also, Google some information on 24-bit vs. 16-bit. CDs are only 16-bit, but 24-bit audio is superior (as on the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio). It is a big world of sound out there and you are just starting to wade into it - Happy listening!

- B00ts
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »

Boots - you are a legend!  Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.   The wikapaedia comment was rude as.  Yeah, the guy is new and asked questions he could of got elsewhere, but he chose to ask them here. Probably more for a discussion really.  If you don't want to answer someones question, then DONT. No need to be painful about it!
Thanks Wild Honey. I think with all the news and the historic reunion, we are all a little on edge around here, waiting for any new info, et. cetera, so it is easy to get hot under the collar. It's also easy to forget that not everyone is a longtime audio geek like many of us are.

Really though, we are all probably slightly jealous of Newguy for discovering the Beach Boys recently - he has so much great music to get into, without the years of waiting in the wilderness for a reunion. This is the ideal time to discover the band!

- B00ts
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »

If you do begin to use 24 bit you may need to convert it down from 96khz to 48khz. Apple products can only handle 24/48 whilst 24/96 is incompatible. Not all 24 bit audio has 96khz, but a lot of them do.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

wow so he even used the wrecking crew early in his career ? i thought it was just later onb in the bb's career Razz
He used them a lot on his early non-Beach Boys sessions. He started using them a little bit on BB's sessions in '63/64...more in late '64/65...a bunch in '66.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

No problem, Newguy. Glad to hear that you are listening in-depth to this wonderful music!

MP3 and AAC (iTunes) files are compressed, so they can be much much smaller than .wav files. Where a .wav file might be 20 or 30 megabytes, MP3 and AAC are only about 2 or 3 megabytes. You may have .wav files on your iPod, it depends on how you obtained the tracks. If you bought them from the iTunes store, they are similar to MP3 and not great quality. MP3 basically takes out frequencies that it thinks the listener can't hear, in order to make a smaller file. Here is a primer on the differences between .wav and mp3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gdwpPrv_8

The best thing for you to do would probably be to rip Beach Boys CDs in iTunes with the Apple Lossless encoder, which you can select in iTunes preferences (Google "ripping CDs in Apple Lossless" for more info). Apple Lossless is a codec that keeps the sound quality of .wav but also shrinks the file to a manageable size. So, the audio is a direct duplicate of what you would hear on the CD.

Also, Google some information on 24-bit vs. 16-bit. CDs are only 16-bit, but 24-bit audio is superior (as on the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio). It is a big world of sound out there and you are just starting to wade into it - Happy listening!
It 's such a beautiful thing Smiley to hear things you haven't heard before, it makes you appreciate the art so much more I'm sure you can relate since your an avid music listener like myself. Listening
oh ok now i understand thanks for explaining it Smiley i have all mp3's most of my music is from itunes and cds..and a few from other sources lol
You helped me so much with what you've told/ explained to me... you basically opened a door and showed me a whole new world, i appeciate it. Grin
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »

He used them a lot on his early non-Beach Boys sessions. He started using them a little bit on BB's sessions in '63/64...more in late '64/65...a bunch in '66.
I wish brian collaborated with phil spector but i know phil didn't think much of the beach boys and brian wilson :/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx