gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 12:02:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artwork origin  (Read 2840 times)
CanaanDavis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »

Can anyone give me any information about this art work.  Is it Frank Holmes SMiLE era, or....  I feel like I've seen it at some point somewhere else than this single, though, I just can't pinpoint where. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

It's definitely after the Frank Holmes' era.  Late '67.  Maybe the same guy who did the U.S. Heroes & Villains sleeve. Probably not.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

Probably Capitol art department.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »

There's a similar sun drawing (in black and white) on the top left corner of the All Summer Long album cover.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

Also on the Good Vibrations sheet music
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »

What country, Jon? Here's the one I have (U.S.)

http://www.sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Sheet%20music/pages/Good%20Vibrations%20%281966%29.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »

I was thinking US...but as you can see, no sun, just some rays...or vibes?...but i think it's that GV's lettering that reminded me of the artwork on the Darlin sleeve.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »

A lot on ebay. This one states the East Coast version of the single. May be worth asking a few of the sellers if anything is on the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-45-DARLIN-1967-Here-Today-PET-SOUNDS-lp-NO-SEAM-SPLITS-Beatles-era-/310384593873?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item48445d0bd1
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »

I don't recall ever hearing about an "East Coast version" of Darlin'. What are the differences between that and other versions? Different mix? Longer fade-out? Label/sleeve difference? Different record plant?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:47:13 PM by Mikie » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:24:48 AM »

I don't recall ever hearing about an "East Coast version" of Darlin'. What are the differences between that and other versions? Different mix? Longer fade-out? Label/sleeve difference? Different record plant?

AFAIK the only difference is in the sleeves as shown here:

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol-PS65-68.htm

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:11 AM »

East coast- no tab/West coast-tab   only difference.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:33 AM »

Ah, OK. Thanks - I never knew that!  Wasn't aware of that "Merry Christmas" sleeve either. Wonder if it's original or made after the release of the Christmas 45's.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:10:07 AM »

Ah, OK. Thanks - I never knew that!  Wasn't aware of that "Merry Christmas" sleeve either. Wonder if it's original or made after the release of the Christmas 45's.

Definitely after. I think we mention on the website that it's most probably late 60ies era sleeves. So probably later (re)issues of the yellow-orange swirl Beach Boys Christmas singles were coupled with these sleeves. Many years ago I've seen both Little Saint Nick and The Man With all The Toys being sold on Ebay with this sleeve - once, and never again. Makes me wonder how hard-to-get these sleeves are.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »

I have mint original copies of "Little St. Nick/Lord's Prayer" and "Man With All The Toys/Blue Christmas" and they don't have the "Merry Christmas" sleeves. Also have a mint (new) copy of "Little St. Nick/Lord's Prayer" orange/red label re-issue from 1969 and it doesn't have the "Merry Christmas" sleeve. I wonder when they were printed and what Christmas singles they were attached to. Were they made by Capitol? Never seen one of these attached to a Beach Boys single either advertised or in someone else's collection.

Anybody out there have one of these sleeves that came with a Beach Boys Christmas single?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:37:16 AM by Mikie » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »

I have mint original copies of "Little St. Nick/Lord's Prayer" and "Man With All The Toys/Blue Christmas" and they don't have the "Merry Christmas" sleeves. Also have a mint (new) copy of "Little St. Nick/Lord's Prayer" orange/red label re-issue from 1969 and it doesn't have the "Merry Christmas" sleeve. I wonder when they were printed and what Christmas singles they were attached to. Were they made by Capitol? Never seen one of these attached to a Beach Boys single either advertised or in someone else's collection.

Anybody out there have one of these sleeves that came with a Beach Boys Christmas single?

I'm pretty sure the quantity of those sleeves was pretty low, otherwise we would have seen these more often. Finding them with a BB 45 would be a rarity.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »

Oh jeez is that your sonic.net page? That's my county!

No mas, por favor.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »

Oh, no!  You're in Sonoma County?  Damn it!  I'm moving out now.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx