gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:15:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare Monkees Stuff - Post In Appreciation Of Davy Jones  (Read 1719 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »

I thought it was fitting. There are many places where the bigger and more well-known hits and clips are being posted, I wanted to start something where some of the more obscure and less well-known things could be enjoyed, within limits of course. Smiley

The first clip I'm posting is on YouTube, amazingly. Warning: What you read may reveal just how much of a Monkees geek I am/was...with no apologies. Grin

This clip is from an ABC television show called "The Farmer's Daughter", it ran from Sept. 1963 up to the season just before the Monkees premiered on ABC in fall 1966. It was produced by Screen Gems, the same group which would produce the Monkees and publish/release their music (with the label Colgems). It's not too widely known and I don't think it was ever placed in syndication, which means the only memories of it are from those who watched it in the 60's, dusty vintage TV Guide magazine listings, and various clips and promos that may show up at random.

So this clip is still pretty amazing and revelatory for me, at least - maybe some other diehard Monkees fans already know about this one. This is Davy Jones, at least a year prior to the Monkees, appearing on an episode playing guitar and singing a song. And the song is "Gonna Buy Me A Dog", which later appeared as a Micky/Davy joking-around novelty track on the first Monkees album, and also played a prominent role on an early 1st season Monkees episode written around Mike "writing" the song and getting ripped off by his publishers. Cheesy

Notice if you look close that part of the "Farmer's Daughter" set later appeared in the Monkees TV show: This set is where they filmed some of the Monkees screen tests, most notable Mike Nesmith's test. Listen close as well during Mike's screen test (also posted here) and he mentions Farmer's Daughter as he's poking around the cabinets on this set.

Pretty neat stuff, the Farmer's Daughter clip with Davy new to my eyes, and it ties things together through Screen Gems, Davy, the Monkees audition films, etc... Enjoy:

Farmer's Daughter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP65nzqRrCQ

Monkees screen test compilation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nhSFFFfJ4

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Thanks for that guitarfool, great stuff! It's very strange seeing the different potential lineups doing the scenes, wonder where the rejected Monkees are now?
SG7
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »

Wow been a few years since I heard that one!
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »

a rare version of Nesmith's excellent Sunny Girlfriend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Ev5jBOdbs

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »

Here is a rare one - rare to me at least - from the Psycho Jello site. All credit to whoever posted this over there...I brightened it up a bit to see more detail:

Jimi Hendrix playing on an upside-down green Gretsch Anniversary guitar, as Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork watch along with a small audience...this could be hotel room judging from the beds. What an amazing candid shot, if that's what this is, and amazing that it's from that infamous Monkees-Hendrix tour that was cut short after Hendrix quit during the tour because he got tired of hearing fans chanting Davy's name during his opening set.

I wish there were more specific info about this photo, or maybe there is and I just haven't found it.

Great photo, though...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

Clip of Davy as one-song front man for U2 at the LA Coliseum in 1997, with a stadium full of people singing along on "Daydream Believer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m-hkvFDLk
theentrtnr
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »

Clip of Davy as one-song front man for U2 at the LA Coliseum in 1997, with a stadium full of people singing along on "Daydream Believer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m-hkvFDLk

One of my favorite clips of all time!! Wish I could have been there! I had the chance to interview Davy once back in 2009 and he was such a wonderful guy... very friendly and approachable. The interview was over the phone but I met him a few weeks later and he was even nicer in person :-)  A very nice memory.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:07:38 PM by theentrtnr » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx