gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:30:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Creedence Clearwater Revival's last time together on stage ?  (Read 15451 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 06:00:51 AM »

"Nuff said"Huh

Are you insane?

You mean to tell me YOU are the God in the sky who knows what constitutes quality to the point where your opinion is fact?

WTF?

Obviously you didn't understand anything that I said. Otherwise you would get the difference between opinion and fact that I tried to make clear for you in my posting above. I don't constitue nothing. I'm just looking at it from a musical point of view. I don't have a problem mentioning that Fogerty wrote his share of bs too.

If VDP had written those lyrics you'd consider them genius (my opinion)

I'm not much of a fan of VDP's lyrics. Not all that glitters is gold.
But maybe you can tell me what's so great with these lyrics. I'm saying they're average. Everyone could write that stuff. Nothing special, quite halting, but that's all.

You wouldn't happen to frequent another board as midnightx or Doc, would you?

I don't care for both of them.

You guys have to understand that music - and therefor the difference between good, bad, average, wahtsoever - isn't about taste. As I mentioned above, I like music that's incredible terrible with no substance or great quality. Yet I never would be as arrogant to say it is good or even great only because it's very appealing to me and my personal taste.
If you can't analyse, then don't try it. For this whole discussion I never said that my opinion is fact or better than anyone else's. In fact, THAT comes from the other side.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »

Has anyone heard any of The Golliwogs stuff? Some of the stuff Tom sang and wrote or co-wrote with John was actually very good. There was easily enough room in the band for another songwriter. John should have taken a leaf out of another pair of famous rock siblings from the same era, The Davies bros of The Kinks. Ray wrote the vast bulk of the album tracks but often gave Dave the b - sides of singles to express himself creatively. A little compromise could have saved a great band from falling apart.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »

I like "Call it pretending" very much. Also "Walk on water" which was co-written by John and Tom. Don't remember though if it was Golliwogs or already CCR.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

"Nuff said"Huh

Are you insane?

You mean to tell me YOU are the God in the sky who knows what constitutes quality to the point where your opinion is fact?

WTF?

Obviously you didn't understand anything that I said. Otherwise you would get the difference between opinion and fact that I tried to make clear for you in my posting above. I don't constitue nothing. I'm just looking at it from a musical point of view. I don't have a problem mentioning that Fogerty wrote his share of bs too.

But maybe you can tell me what's so great with these lyrics. I'm saying they're average. Everyone could write that stuff. Nothing special, quite halting, but that's all.

You guys have to understand that music - and therefor the difference between good, bad, average, wahtsoever - isn't about taste. As I mentioned above, I like music that's incredible terrible with no substance or great quality. Yet I never would be as arrogant to say it is good or even great only because it's very appealing to me and my personal taste.
If you can't analyse, then don't try it. For this whole discussion I never said that my opinion is fact or better than anyone else's. In fact, THAT comes from the other side.

Please don't think I was giving the Doug/Stu Mardi Gras material amazingly high praise. All I said was that for two guys who were suddenly thrust into the responsibility of writing/producing/singing/playing enough material for 90% of an album MINUS their lead guitarist/singer/arranger's participation: it wasn't all that bad and had some good points..... That's it!

Rock n Roll is about whatever the hell you want it to be and about whatever the hell you wanna like no matter what "authority" on terms of quality will tell you. And even then, most people's idea of what quality is depends on their personal taste anyway, so I don't see how you can make and preach such a false distinction with a straight face. I mean, what constitutes quality in your book? I'm curious. Should I think Winds Of Change is a better song than Tomorrow Never Knows because TNK is one chord while Winds Of Change is more complex and with more universal lyrics? Or that Kokomo must be better than Beat On The Brat for the same reasons?

I'm just trying to understand.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:08:43 PM by Erik H » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »

Has anyone heard any of The Golliwogs stuff? Some of the stuff Tom sang and wrote or co-wrote with John was actually very good. There was easily enough room in the band for another songwriter. John should have taken a leaf out of another pair of famous rock siblings from the same era, The Davies bros of The Kinks. Ray wrote the vast bulk of the album tracks but often gave Dave the b - sides of singles to express himself creatively. A little compromise could have saved a great band from falling apart.
Exactly! No one is suggesting that Tom was as good a singer or writer as John, but there again, John wrote the occasional dud, too. If Tom had been given some room to contribute the occasional song, the group might've lasted longer - which is what we all wish for, right? The guys had an amazing chemistry together that has never been replicated, not by John and his band of hired hands, not bu Stu/Doug and their Fogerty-soundalike.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »

Not to mention, some of the covers they chose to put on their albums: those spots could've gone to a Tom song.

And I'm sure Creedence Clearwater Revisited didn't do Doug and Stu any favors in John's book.

It's just plain sad. The chemistry we talk about: that sort of thing seems to be more appreciated by those outside of bands than in.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

I like "Call it pretending" very much. Also "Walk on water" which was co-written by John and Tom. Don't remember though if it was Golliwogs or already CCR.

It was done as The Golliwogs then recorded again for the first CCR album. I think The Golliwogs version is the better of the two. Also did you know that Tom sings the second verse of Suzie Q?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »

It was done as The Golliwogs then recorded again for the first CCR album. I think The Golliwogs version is the better of the two. Also did you know that Tom sings the second verse of Suzie Q?
(channeling Dana Carvey as Carson) I did not know that! That is wierd, wild stuff! Seriously, will have to listen to that again. John was/is a great talent, but ungenerous to his bandmates. If not for Tom's lead in the beginning, there may never have been a CCR.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »

"Nuff said"Huh

Are you insane?

WTF?

Please don't think I was giving the Doug/Stu Mardi Gras material amazingly high praise. All I said was that for two guys who were suddenly thrust into the responsibility of writing/producing/singing/playing enough material for 90% of an album MINUS their lead guitarist/singer/arranger's participation: it wasn't all that bad and had some good points..... That's it!

Rock n Roll is about whatever the hell you want it to be and about whatever the hell you wanna like no matter what "authority" on terms of quality will tell you. And even then, most people's idea of what quality is depends on their personal taste anyway, so I don't see how you can make and preach such a false distinction with a straight face. I mean, what constitutes quality in your book? I'm curious. Should I think Winds Of Change is a better song than Tomorrow Never Knows because TNK is one chord while Winds Of Change is more complex and with more universal lyrics? Or that Kokomo must be better than Beat On The Brat for the same reasons?

All I said is that their songs on Mardi Gras are average at best. Nothing else.

For the other point, let me try it this way. I don't know if my english is good enough to express it in another way or if I'd know any other way to describe it.
Take a children's drawing of a house. Just like a kid would paint (or I for that matter, because I can't draw for all the money in the world). Then you have a painting by a real artist, also a house. Nothing else. Even if you like the children's drawing much better because it's so cute, you have to agree that the style, the techniques and probably the composition of the artist's picture is better in every way. And that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be more complex. Same with music. The way a song is built, put together, composed maybe even arranged (although that has more to do with the recording, just like the singing and playing) isn't about taste but follows certain rules of composition. Thanks to rules, art becomes art that you can stretch but not break. Many people don't understand that Rock'n'Roll has it's rules as well, because the basis of all is a song composition. Unfortunately in later years Rock'n'Roll became filled with more rules and small-mindedness than probably every other form of poular music, just because certain forms were considered un-cool and not hip. But that's another story.
I hope this explains what I mean

Also did you know that Tom sings the second verse of Suzie Q?

Didn't know that. That's neat. Did he sing it on stage in the early days as well ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:37:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »

As much as I love John's songs I must say he is a total butthole.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

Been reading this thread and you guys are hilarious.  Really.  I wonder if you've actually read some of these things or are just making them up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:54:44 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »

No, they came from the Cabinessence/Shut Down Board where you come from, Lonely Summer.  You know, the all but dead board.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »

How did that board die anyway? When I left there around 2003 it was still really vibrant.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »

'Cause after you left, R&R, Bungalow Bill didn't have anybody left to argue Conservative politics with!

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

'Cause after you left, R&R, Bungalow Bill didn't have anybody left to argue Conservative politics with!

LOL

Had no idea I was such a load bearing figure over there...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

"Nuff said"Huh

Are you insane?

WTF?

For the other point, let me try it this way. I don't know if my english is good enough to express it in another way or if I'd know any other way to describe it.
Take a children's drawing of a house. Just like a kid would paint (or I for that matter, because I can't draw for all the money in the world). Then you have a painting by a real artist, also a house. Nothing else. Even if you like the children's drawing much better because it's so cute, you have to agree that the style, the techniques and probably the composition of the artist's picture is better in every way. And that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be more complex. Same with music. The way a song is built, put together, composed maybe even arranged (although that has more to do with the recording, just like the singing and playing) isn't about taste but follows certain rules of composition. Thanks to rules, art becomes art that you can stretch but not break. Many people don't understand that Rock'n'Roll has it's rules as well, because the basis of all is a song composition. Unfortunately in later years Rock'n'Roll became filled with more rules and small-mindedness than probably every other form of poular music, just because certain forms were considered un-cool and not hip. But that's another story.

Very well put, RocknRoll!

Thanks for the sentence I highlighted in yellow! I think my almost aggressive opinion that art/rock/creative expression should have no rules comes from exactly what you pointed out, so thanks for clarifying where you're coming from.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »

"Nuff said"Huh

Are you insane?

WTF?

Channeling
Dr. John Carpenter....
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

John has been talking up a possible reunion in interviews over the past year or so.  Stu and Doug have gone on record with a hearty "whatevs".

Cook and Clifford both stated in the February 2012 edition of Uncut Magazine that they aren't interested in a CCR reunion. "Leopards don't change their spots. This is just an image-polishing exercise by John. My phone certainly hasn't rung," Cook said. Added Clifford: "It might have been a nice idea 20 years ago, but it's too late."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »

We'll see what Stu has to say if his phone DOES ring Wink
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »

Stu and Doug would be fools to pass up playing with John instead of the tribute act they currently tour with. But I seriously doubt John will ever reunite with them. If Tom were still alive, maybe, just maybe...but without him, it's just gonna remind him of the most unpleasant time in CCR history - the end.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:43 AM »

Very well put, RocknRoll!

Thanks for the sentence I highlighted in yellow! I think my almost aggressive opinion that art/rock/creative expression should have no rules comes from exactly what you pointed out, so thanks for clarifying where you're coming from.

It's Rocker - not RocknRoll. Just to make sure no one that isn't involved in this discussion gets so without wanting to

See, the rules thing is another topic, but in short and not to start another discussion, I think that art without rues is just disposal. You can stretch rules and in cases even try to blast them but in the end they are always there.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:26:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »

My apologies to RocknRoll!

Rocker, I respect your feelings on this subject, but I have to ask: so, what are the rules exactly and who makes them? Is the rule for a piece of art (or the need for a rule) due to the fact that it will eventually go into a frame of some sort, as in, a wooden or metal frame, or on a 12 inch vinyl disc or reel of film? If so, then aren't these said rules the concern of the curator, the critic, the reviewer, the movie studios, rather than solely that of the artist?

It makes sense that you might consider art without rules as disposal, but I can't see that applying to the artist. Anything that will hamper creativity or the imagination should not be forced upon the creating person(s). It is always a battle of course with format, technology, ease of use, etc, but if you choose to filter art that you take in through a series of rules, that is your choice.

This argument somehow applying to The Mardi Gras album is silly anyway because Doug and Stu's songs certainly conform to the rules you speak of, perhaps even too much so. The songs have a verse, chorus, brige, verse, chorus and vocal melodies that offer counter-play to the basic chords at time or simply complement them. You might not like these songs, but to argue that they are invalid as songs due to these hard-set rules of art, rock n roll, whatever, is quite baseless as they are completely by-the-rules.

It's a silly conceit anyway because rules are meant to be broken ESPECIALLY in what we call rock n roll.

Miles Davis (who I consider as rock n roll as anyone else) broke every rule in the book, alienating/frustrating fans and critics by the boatload, but now his manner of breaking the rules has become a bunch of new rules that people are studying and talking about and fretting over...... So, I maintain, rules are not the concern of the artist.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:07:36 PM by Erik H » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 12:13:27 AM »

My apologies to RocknRoll!

Rocker, I respect your feelings on this subject, but I have to ask: so, what are the rules exactly and who makes them? Is the rule for a piece of art (or the need for a rule) due to the fact that it will eventually go into a frame of some sort, as in, a wooden or metal frame, or on a 12 inch vinyl disc or reel of film? If so, then aren't these said rules the concern of the curator, the critic, the reviewer, the movie studios, rather than solely that of the artist?

It makes sense that you might consider art without rules as disposal, but I can't see that applying to the artist. Anything that will hamper creativity or the imagination should not be forced upon the creating person(s). It is always a battle of course with format, technology, ease of use, etc, but if you choose to filter art that you take in through a series of rules, that is your choice.

This argument somehow applying to The Mardi Gras album is silly anyway because Doug and Stu's songs certainly conform to the rules you speak of, perhaps even too much so. The songs have a verse, chorus, brige, verse, chorus and vocal melodies that offer counter-play to the basic chords at time or simply complement them. You might not like these songs, but to argue that they are invalid as songs due to these hard-set rules of art, rock n roll, whatever, is quite baseless as they are completely by-the-rules.

It's a silly conceit anyway because rules are meant to be broken ESPECIALLY in what we call rock n roll.

Miles Davis (who I consider as rock n roll as anyone else) broke every rule in the book, alienating/frustrating fans and critics by the boatload, but now his manner of breaking the rules has become a bunch of new rules that people are studying and talking about and fretting over...... So, I maintain, rules are not the concern of the artist.
Very nicely stated, Erik. I've heard endlessly about these "rules" on another message board. We don't need more rules...and rules are made to be broken, anyway.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »

This argument somehow applying to The Mardi Gras album is silly anyway

All I said about the songs of Doug and Stu on Mardi Gras was that they are average and that that is a fact. Nothing else. When you said that it's not right to say it is a fact and that it's my opinion is when we got to rules.

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »

Fogerty's greatness goes without saying.  Cook and Clifford (and Tom?) were a tremendous rhythm section. Swung and kicked the damn door down.  Check out this deep track from the Don Harrison band, for whom they briefly toiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hhtSZzEAs&feature=related

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx