gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:29:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest Beach Boys Song :/  (Read 31399 times)
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »

There's a handful that I love, but mess me up every time I hear them. The first song that came to mind was "All Alone". For me it's right up there with He Stopped Loving Her Today & some of the old Hank Williams songs as the most deeply depressing (yet greatest) songs I've ever heard. I know, technically solo Dennis, but I figured I could include it since the first time I heard it / it was officially released was on the Endless Harmony soundtrack

Also:
Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
A Young Man Is Gone
(already mentioned, but) The Warmth of the Sun
Auld Lang Syne
Spirit of America (it's just sad to me, not sure why)

The ending of "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" gets me every time too as being so melancholic, "won't last forever", and all that.

Forgot about that one, but 100% agree with you.

Me too, & I always thought I was the only one who thought "it's kind of sad", lol

If you include outside projects I would have to go with "I Wish for You".
Totally with you, that one came to my mind as well
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

Of course, when I was 17 and I heard "When I Grow Up", I didn't find the ending sad. Now in my 30s I do. Go figure.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »

I don't know if 'Til I Die is the one that SOUNDS the saddest, for me it's a bit mellow but very atmospheric : i always picture myself on a small boat in the middle of the ocean, where i can't see anything around me.. just lying on the boat ...

But the lyrics are quite something, especially that final line "these things i'll be until i die" i don't know if it brings me down but it does makes me feel something special, it has to be one of my all time fav lyric ever.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2012, 12:51:04 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:55 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway.

...yeah.  I've just now been hit between the eyes by "Summer's Gone", but if anything, that's slightly less bleak than what came right before...

Wibble,
Jon Blum
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:22 AM »

summer's gone..beautiful but something about it makes me feel this is going to be the last beach boys song..
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »

summer's gone..beautiful but something about it makes me feel this is going to be the last beach boys song..

I wonder if it could be because that's what it was supposed to be. But anyway, I agree it's a pretty sad song. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »

I wonder if it could be because that's what it was supposed to be. But anyway, I agree it's a pretty sad song. 
I think it is the last beach boys song, I don't think there is another album after this one.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

Before tonight I'd have said "Til' I Die" without much hesitation (and perhaps somewhere in this thread, I already did!), but after just being hit with "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" a few hours ago, I'd have to say they rank right up there alongside it.

The sadness of those tracks is quite different than "Til' I Die" - as depressing as it is to hear a young man singing about having lost his way and resigning himself to always feeling so helpless, it's even more powerful hearing that same man sing about being in the last stages of his life, knowing that it's all behind him, never to return.  I can't even imagine what that realization must feel like, but hearing Brian Wilson sing about it may very well be the saddest damn thing I've ever heard.  I haven't had a Beach Boys song just flat out knock me back in my chair like those final two tracks since, well, "Til' I Die".  The genius has returned.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »

When Brian sings "It's finally sinking in" on Summer's gone, my heart breaks..

What an incredible song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »

"Barbara" knocked me sideways when I first got the Endless Summer soundtrack, the part from 25 seconds in... just gets me, right at the heart strings. Also the simplicity of the production with just the pianos and guitar on the track help in giving that vibe that makes you feel sad.

I guess some people get emotions from lyrics of a song, me personally I get it from the melody and feel of a song and not so much the lyrical subject.

"Angel Come Home" I can't even listen to that anymore, thanks to ex-girlfriend...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »

"Barbara" knocked me sideways when I first got the Endless Summer soundtrack, the part from 25 seconds in... just gets me, right at the heart strings. Also the simplicity of the production with just the pianos and guitar on the track help in giving that vibe that makes you feel sad.

I guess some people get emotions from lyrics of a song, me personally I get it from the melody and feel of a song and not so much the lyrical subject.

"Angel Come Home" I can't even listen to that anymore, thanks to ex-girlfriend...

Do share that story!
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

Every track on Summer In Paradise.
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »

I guess "Farewell My Friend" doesn't count.

In that case, "Forever."

Dennis was the saddest Beach Boy, like the guy in The Band who died: Rick Manuel.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »

Mount Vernon and Fairway.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »

For purely personal reasons, "From There To Back Again" has become the saddest song ever for me, so sad that I can't listen to it. I hope someday I will be able to, because it's a great song.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »

Do share that story!

Well the ex walked out on me, I went to work, I came back to an almost empty flat. Went to all the places I thought she would be with no luck. And as I was driving back "Angel Come Home" came on. Up until point I didn't realise the CD player was on in the car, I turned it up. Everytime I hear it takes me back to that time. So that tune still burns now. And the girl you ask... She had gone to live with a doctor she had been seeing for 8 months at the hospital she worked at.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2012, 03:54:59 AM »

Do share that story!

Well the ex walked out on me, I went to work, I came back to an almost empty flat. Went to all the places I thought she would be with no luck. And as I was driving back "Angel Come Home" came on. Up until point I didn't realise the CD player was on in the car, I turned it up. Everytime I hear it takes me back to that time. So that tune still burns now. And the girl you ask... She had gone to live with a doctor she had been seeing for 8 months at the hospital she worked at.

What a bitch-a-rooney-dooney!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Wouldn't it Be Nice makes me cry sometimes. it's a really optimistic song, but I'm a cynic so I see it as a really sad song. wouldn't it be nice if we were older? well no, because by that time you'll have broken up. you know this deep down.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »

Wouldn't it Be Nice makes me cry sometimes. it's a really optimistic song, but I'm a cynic so I see it as a really sad song. wouldn't it be nice if we were older? well no, because by that time you'll have broken up. you know this deep down.

It's sad and optimistic all at once, which is part of its charm. Definitely optimistic overall, but I think the things you're saying are also in there somewhere.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »

You're Still a Mystery makes me sad, Als vocals hits me like a hammer.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »

Dennis' Thoughts Of You is raw sadness.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

Summer's Gone.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »

Apart from all the obvious classics (When I Grow Up, 'Til I Die, you name it):

My Diane

A Day in the Life of a Tree

I Wanna Pick You Up

Lonely Sea

Don't Worry Baby (In Concert rendition)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »

The Lonely Sea--first real inkling of Brian's melancholy...
Warmth of the Sun--(astute choice from Adam) mourning transfigured, sadness made radiant...
Kiss Me Baby, She Knows Me Too Well--the sad (possibly delusional?) hope for reconciliation and the sad reality of an overcomplicated relationship ...
Here Today--the fungibility of romance...
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times--the knowing onset of incipient depression...
Caroline, No--cruel loss of innocence...
Til I Die--the ultimate state of fragile contingency...
4th of July, Carry Me Home--meditations on the tragedy and futility of war...
Thoughts of You--raw existentialist lament...
Summer's Gone--the bittersweet coming to grips with old age.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx