gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:43:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest Beach Boys Song :/  (Read 31280 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »

Day in the Life of a Tree
Still I Dream of It
Lonely Sea
Warmth of the Sun
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

Gotta agree with the Stebbins. Thoughts Of You by far.

.... or "Moonshine". When Dennis sings, "It was you who said there won't be tomorrow. You said you love me now in another way...", it gets me every time.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »

"Our Favorite Recording Sessions"? Juuuuuust kidding.

"Day in the Life of a Tree" is pretty manipulative, in that it DEMANDS you to feel badly for that tree, dammit, but somehow even as I cynically go through the first couple of verses, by the time it gets to "Oh Lord, I lay me down" I like have to pull the car over and think about all the branches I've broken over the years or times I've let my dog pee on some roots, and I invariably end up in a glass case of emotionnnnnnnn!

"Til I Die" is actually the most perfect expression of despair I think I've ever heard in a pop song. It's my frame of reference whenever I feel my skin crawl with Scott's too on-the-nose lyrics in "Midnight's Another Day". When you're at the end of your rope, the imagery used in "Til I Die" is exactly what it feels like (at least for me), like you're reduced to a speck in a larger tumultuous environment that you can't control. In particular the image of the leaf trying to keep from being blown off its branch, asking "how long will the wind blow", just nails it perfectly. It's an unbelievably moving song.

"Don't Worry Baby" actually I find to be quite sad, because the melody and the delivery is so aching. I mean, yeah, it's about biting off more than you can chew and fearing that you'll lose a drag race, but it works enough on other levels that I think it's very sad. Especially in light of the fact that Brian seems to be always worried, like every minute of the day.

The ending of "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" gets me every time too as being so melancholic, "won't last forever", and all that.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »

caroline no or day in the life of a tree.  I'd probably give it to caroline no cause it has my favorite lyric.  the "you break my heart, i wanna go and cry, it's so sad to watch a sweet thing die, oh caroline why?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:26:42 AM by Runaways » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »

The new Summer's Gone seems to come pretty close.

But I'd say It's Over Now, probably.

Getcha Back has a very sad, wistful, vibe, but there's hope there too, so I gotta discount that one.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »

The ending of "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" gets me every time too as being so melancholic, "won't last forever", and all that.

Forgot about that one, but 100% agree with you.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

"Our Favorite Recording Sessions"? Juuuuuust kidding.

"Day in the Life of a Tree" is pretty manipulative, in that it DEMANDS you to feel badly for that tree, dammit, but somehow even as I cynically go through the first couple of verses, by the time it gets to "Oh Lord, I lay me down" I like have to pull the car over and think about all the branches I've broken over the years or times I've let my dog pee on some roots, and I invariably end up in a glass case of emotionnnnnnnn!

"Til I Die" is actually the most perfect expression of despair I think I've ever heard in a pop song. It's my frame of reference whenever I feel my skin crawl with Scott's too on-the-nose lyrics in "Midnight's Another Day". When you're at the end of your rope, the imagery used in "Til I Die" is exactly what it feels like (at least for me), like you're reduced to a speck in a larger tumultuous environment that you can't control. In particular the image of the leaf trying to keep from being blown off its branch, asking "how long will the wind blow", just nails it perfectly. It's an unbelievably moving song.

"Don't Worry Baby" actually I find to be quite sad, because the melody and the delivery is so aching. I mean, yeah, it's about biting off more than you can chew and fearing that you'll lose a drag race, but it works enough on other levels that I think it's very sad. Especially in light of the fact that Brian seems to be always worried, like every minute of the day.

This is exactly what I was going to write!

'Don't Worry Baby' is a like WIBN: It's incredibly happy yet achingly sad for some reason.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »

There's a book somewhere in which Greil Marcus compares in "In My Room" to the Beatles' "There's a Place" complaining that while Brian wallowed in sadness Lennon went and did something about it (It's in my miiinnnddd....). It always struck me as a weird passage and not at all convincing ... sorta like GM felt compelled to do a take-down of Brian's reputation. "There's a Place" is such a minor Beatles track (however enjoyable). Anyway, my point is, when I want to hear a sad Brian song, I WANT to wallow in it. It feels good.

I definitely think "Caroline, No" and "Til I Die" are my 1 and 2, but "Let Him Run Wild" is 3.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

There's a book somewhere in which Greil Marcus compares in "In My Room" to the Beatles' "There's a Place" complaining that while Brian wallowed in sadness Lennon went and did something about it (It's in my miiinnnddd....). It always struck me as a weird passage and not at all convincing ... sorta like GM felt compelled to do a take-down of Brian's reputation. "There's a Place" is such a minor Beatles track (however enjoyable). Anyway, my point is, when I want to hear a sad Brian song, I WANT to wallow in it. It feels good.

I definitely think "Caroline, No" and "Til I Die" are my 1 and 2, but "Let Him Run Wild" is 3.

Seeing how "There's a Place" was recorded several months before "In My Room" I don't see how you can feel as though George Martin was trying to take down Brian's reputation... which in February of 1963 (when "There's a Place" was recorded) was pretty non-existent.
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »

No... I meant GM as in Greil Marcus in his book, not George Martin in the studio. Sorry---should'a been clearer. I can't imagine Martin taking Brian down on anything....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »

No... I meant GM as in Greil Marcus in his book, not George Martin in the studio. Sorry---should'a been clearer. I can't imagine Martin taking Brian down on anything....

Or even attempting. He has always seemed pretty in awe of Brian.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

"A Day In The Life Of A Tree", for me. All songs from the BB universe included, agreed that "Thoughts Of You" either tops "Tree" or comes pretty close. "Thoughts Of You", if you've ever been there, just says it way too well and is too real. A lot of songs try to do the same, and a lot of them are certainly good, but not many get it just right like that one does.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:23:24 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »

Lot of good choices have already been mentioned. I know it's technically a solo track, but since it saw its first release on a Beach Boys compilation, "All Alone" is in the running.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »

"A Day In The Life Of A Tree", for me. All songs from the BB universe included, agreed that "Thoughts Of You" either tops "Tree" or comes pretty close. "Thoughts Of You", if you've ever been there, just says it way too well and is too real. A lot of songs try to do the same, and a lot of them are certainly good, but not many get it just right like that one does.

Agreed on all counts.  Just listened to both today on a long car ride, and I was just blown away by the raw emotion that Denny just spills all over the place on "Thoughts of You."  It makes me feel a bit uneasy listening to it, to be honest - I feel like I'm prying on the innermost thoughts of a troubled soul without permission.  How many artists out there have the sheer balls to put something like that out there? 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »

Agreed on all counts.  Just listened to both today on a long car ride, and I was just blown away by the raw emotion that Denny just spills all over the place on "Thoughts of You."  It makes me feel a bit uneasy listening to it, to be honest - I feel like I'm prying on the innermost thoughts of a troubled soul without permission.  How many artists out there have the sheer balls to put something like that out there? 

Syd Barrett, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Nick Drake, Pete Townshend, Elliott Smith, Fiona Apple, Jason Pierce and many others. But Dennis is surely among the best.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »

Among those, I'm most familiar with Syd and Elliott. Elliott Smith I'll give you - extremely descriptive, real, and honest with his work. Syd, though, what are some examples you're thinking of? The best I can come up with would be something like "Jugband Blues", which is certainly expressing something real, but it doesn't really cut to the bone like "Thoughts Of You" or several of Elliott's song do. Same goes for a lot of the stuff by the other d00dz listed, but as I said, I'm not as familiar wit them.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »

Syd Barrett, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Nick Drake, Pete Townshend, Elliott Smith, Fiona Apple, Jason Pierce and many others. But Dennis is surely among the best.

Okay fair enough, I shouldn't have made such an overly broad statement.  Out of all those artists you listed I'm really only familiar with Lennon and Joni Mitchell, and they have their moments for sure, but for me, Dennis just takes it somewhere else.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »

End Of The Show does it for me every time!

You don't want POB to end because you know how the story of Dennis goes from there and it's just heartbreaking.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »

I think Brian's second piano demo of "It's Over Now" is pretty sad -- he sounds downright forlorn -- and it's up there for me with "Tree" and "'Til I Die".
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »

You forgot Daniel Johnston.

A discipline daddy.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:41 AM »

Good call. For anyone looking for confessional aching music, look no further than Joni. She's exquisite. And Elliott's "Pretty (Ugly Before)" breaks my heart every time, especially since it was released posthumously.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:36 AM »

Leaving This Town

This is an interesting topic.  A lot of the stuff might be introspective but there is a certain healthy acceptance of a bad situation. Lay Down Burden, Brian's solo, sort of finds a place that is one of the cycle of life.  I feel reluctant to call it all sad.  Most people have a sort of balance between being happy and not so, and the music has a way of finding that balance, and I think Pet Sounds broke ground with finding a "place" to put universal bad experiences.  It seems to me, or at least my experience has been that I learn most when things go badly, and now, if it almost a reflex, I try to step back and look at a disaster and want to "turn it around," and learn or make it a positive one.

Til I Die is brilliant, because it seems to take the rock in the landslide, leaf on a windy day, and cork in the ocean, and define life, both good and bad.  Part of Brian's genius is that he took those emotions, and first, wrote about them, which is therapeutic, instead of bottling them up, and published them, allowing the listeners a place to share experiences and growth opportunities. And, I wonder if women look at the music differently...

Does it fit with the earlier fun-in-the sun?  Maybe...at dusk.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:20:54 AM by filledeplage » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »

Among those, I'm most familiar with Syd and Elliott. Elliott Smith I'll give you - extremely descriptive, real, and honest with his work. Syd, though, what are some examples you're thinking of? The best I can come up with would be something like "Jugband Blues", which is certainly expressing something real, but it doesn't really cut to the bone like "Thoughts Of You" or several of Elliott's song do. Same goes for a lot of the stuff by the other d00dz listed, but as I said, I'm not as familiar wit them.

"Dark Globe" and "Feel" definitely come to my mind as two of Syd's really honest (and excellent) songs. I am sure there are more if I put some more thought into it.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

Has 'Oh Lord' been mentioned?

This is surely the saddest unreleased recording...

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »

If you include outside projects I would have to go with "I Wish for You".

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx