gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:12:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diamond Head  (Read 6903 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

Even better, remove Transendental Meditation and replace with We're Together Again, thereby the entire 'friend' theme of the album is brought full circle. It works perfectly! TM to me is the only real downer on Friends.

I find TM quite daring and interesting. But it just doesn't suit the theme and mood of the album.

Q: what if the BBs had become a fully fledged PR band for the Maharishi? Putting out album after album about TM? You know: albums like 'At The Hop', or 'Hopland', or 'Carl & The Hoppers'?

Discuss.
Brian stays the hell away from the group at that point to make an album of quirky songs in 1970.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

Q: what if the BBs had become a fully fledged PR band for the Maharishi? Putting out album after album about TM? You know: albums like 'At The Hop', or 'Hopland', or 'Carl & The Hoppers'?

Discuss.
well, the TM-Sidhi program (which is the thing that has "yogic flying") wasn't introduced until 1975, so the first yogic-flying themed album would've been 15 Big Hops.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »

I've got it mixed with Little Pad near the end of my SMiLE mix. like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kLJgK8R-x8

I cut Diamond Head in half, just before it goes to double time I put an edit of Little Pad in and then end it with the double time part of Diamond Head.  They're a semitone apart so I lowered Diamond Head by a semitone.

this sounds really cool. i'd love to hear it

Links to my whole SMiLE mix are here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12403.0.html
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

thanks... heady stuff!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »

Even better, remove Transendental Meditation and replace with We're Together Again, thereby the entire 'friend' theme of the album is brought full circle. It works perfectly! TM to me is the only real downer on Friends.

I find TM quite daring and interesting. But it just doesn't suit the theme and mood of the album.

Discuss.

In an alternate history in my head the Beach Boys made a Manson themed album called 'Cease to Exist' in 1969, followed by a TM themed album called 'Good by Charlie, Hello TM'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 12:26:49 AM »

Discuss.

In an alternate history in my head the Beach Boys made a Manson themed album called 'Cease to Exist' in 1969, followed by a TM themed album called 'Good by Charlie, Hello TM'

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »

according to steel guitarist Al Vescovo, he "wrote" the tune on the spot the day it was recorded. Brian wanted a Hawaiian-sounding song, and he was more involved in creating sound effects like banging rocks together, making ocean sounds with a tub of water, and using a reverb unit to sound like a volcano erupting. Everyone involved got a writing credit, as it was a spontaneous creation.

What does anyone know about Jim Ackley? he's the fourth co-writer on DH, playing keyboards I presume. did he do any other Beach Boy stuff?

I'm told he was the an engineer on the session. Helped Brian get the reverb sound; so Brian gave him a writers credit it seems.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »

I assumed Ackley was playing keyboard, but maybe that's Brian?

Al Vescovo said Brian was banging rocks together on this track, as well as making the water sounds with a washtub and the reverb "eruptions"

must be one of the only tunes Brian played percussion on.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »

I assumed Ackley was playing keyboard, but maybe that's Brian?

Al Vescovo said Brian was banging rocks together on this track, as well as making the water sounds with a washtub and the reverb "eruptions"

must be one of the only tunes Brian played percussion on.

Surfin' too  Grin
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

Funky Pretty. and doesn't he play some drums on Love You?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »

Yes, I think a lot of the percussion on Love You was played by Brian, such as the shakily-timed tambourine in "I'll Bet He's Nice."

- B00ts
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »

From the original liner notes:

“Diamond Head”

With full instrumentation and sound effects, “Diamond Head” is probably the most complicated creation on Friends. As it unfolds, “Diamond Head” draws a musical painting of the Hawaiian landmark and is yet another remarkable example of the arranging genius of Brian Wilson.

Historical Note: Peter Reum: “Parts of ‘Diamond Head’ especially the bridge, are reminiscent of some of the more pictorial music of Smile.”

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SBonilla
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »

Yes, I think a lot of the percussion on Love You was played by Brian, such as the shakily-timed tambourine in "I'll Bet He's Nice."
Yes, at least some of it was just him doing snares w/ earle engineering.

Also, I have always thought that the drum part on Honkin' Down The Highway is a tape loop of a kick and snare. Hard to tell who played the part, though. Could be anyone.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »

Where was that story posted about Brian putting down a guide drum track for a song that was never completed or recorded elsewhere, the tapes were recorded over etc. where Brian, much to Carl and the engineer's astonishment, erm... played the f*** out of those drums? Really wish there were some evidence of his skill back then aside from the very minimal style done to suit the few songs he did play on, which wouldn't call for a louder or more elaborate style of playing.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Martin Denny's old LPs from the Fifties and early Sixties, and so much of his stuff has that "Diamond Head" vibe to it. While he tended to use the marimba as a lead instrument instead of the lap steel, there is still quite a similarity in mood and approach.

I think most fans of "Diamond Head" would enjoy a Denny song like "Off Shore" for example:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/658di6

(I tried to link to a YouTube video but there wasn't one available, so hopefully I'm not breaking any board rules by posting a link to just this one song.)

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »

Denny and Baxter's exotica records sure are a lot of fun. I used to collect them on scratched up vinyl until a few clicks gives you the lot! Really wonderful stuff to relax too, I think you can hear them in the Pet Sounds instrumentals as well. Les Baxter particularly.

A shame Wilson never played around more in this direction for some kind of film soundtrack or mainly instrumental LP with wordless harmonies or something. Would've been a nice addition to the catalog and pure ear candy!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:29:28 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

Denny and Baxter's exotica records sure are a lot of fun. I used to collect them on scratched up vinyl until a few clicks gives you the lot! Really wonderful stuff to relax too, I think you can hear them in the Pet Sounds instrumentals as well. Les Baxter particularly.

A shame Wilson never played around more in this direction for some kind of film soundtrack or mainly instrumental LP with wordless harmonies or something. Would've been a nice addition to the catalog and pure ear candy!

Yeah I agree ontor pertawst. It's fun to play "what if" Brian had broken up the Beach Boys after Smile collapsed and went on to be a producer/ arranger, making film scores and such. We'd miss out on a ton of classic music of course, but maybe we would have had full albums worth of "Diamond Head" quality stuff? The mind boggles.

I only recently got past my Les Baxter and Martin Denny hits compilations and started getting into the albums proper. So much to discover! The best songs are like little movies for your mind. I've already blown a couple of minds by playing some early Les Baxter cuts that featured theremin parts almost 20 years prior to Pet Sounds.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »

Where was that story posted about Brian putting down a guide drum track for a song that was never completed or recorded elsewhere, the tapes were recorded over etc. where Brian, much to Carl and the engineer's astonishment, erm... played the f*ck out of those drums? Really wish there were some evidence of his skill back then aside from the very minimal style done to suit the few songs he did play on, which wouldn't call for a louder or more elaborate style of playing.
I'm pretty sure that is in a Desper thread...either on this site or the old surfermoon site, the archived section.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx