gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:06:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cable special 1980 - for Keepin' the Summer Alive  (Read 4326 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

Hey gang--I remember there being a special on Showtime or Cinemax in 1980, that was sort of a making-of for Keepin' The Summer Alive--yet I can't seem to find any info on it at all.

Any ideas?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »

Hey gang--I remember there being a special on Showtime or Cinemax in 1980, that was sort of a making-of for Keepin' The Summer Alive--yet I can't seem to find any info on it at all.

Any ideas?

youtube.

Though, speaking of, it would be cool if we could get deluxe editions of the albums with bonus video content. In the case of KTSA, this making-of special would be nice, as would the "Our Team" special for MIU. Could put the "Its OK" special with 15 Big Ones, etc. Need more vintage video clips, baby.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:28:38 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »

Any ideas?

i think you should check your pm's....   Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »

That doc was excellent. Ben-Fong-Torres from San Francisco.  They're at Al's Red Barn in Big Sur.  Dennis wasn't there. They're on the beach and Brian's talking about something and he stops and there's a long silence and he finally says, "I like food!" Carl busts out laughing and says, "You're great".

The studio cuts were good, but that beach scene cracked me up.  Grin

Oh yeah, have fun getting the "Our Team" video in decent quality!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:09:49 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »

The whole thing is not on youtube. Here are some clips. I don't know though if they all are from the KTSA-special or another one from 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgggDCAA8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLqvRpN_bSE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3ZlgzFqz8

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »

Going Platinum? Wasn't this what the special was called. I remember reading the title in Leaf (?) ---the 85 version, natch---described as "optimistically entitled"... or maybe I'm imagining that.

I like seeing Bruce with a goatee. And that's a rocking GI Joe beard Glen C. was sporting in this period. I think this was his Tonya Tucker/rock bottom era.

I could actually watch studio clips of the BBs all day. Fascinating to see the process.

Am I wrong or were some of the MIU sessions filmed?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »

Yes, it's called "Going Platinum - The Making of "Keepin' The Summer Alive".

And the MIU Sessions is what I was talking about. The "Our Team" video.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »

Which contains the most amazing footage of Brian in the studio arranging "Mike Come Back To L.A."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »

Yeah, does anybody know the whereabouts of the "Our Team" special? I would love to see it. Anybody?? Especially "Mike Come Back to LA"!
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

"Our Team"---yes, sorry---I should've caught that! My apologies. I skimmed too fast.

What I'd really like to see is video of Love You sessions.  I used to love those Classic Albums documentaries ... always wished there'd been for that album. Endless scenes of Brian texturing "Johnny Carson" and "I'll Bet He's Nice" with different keyboard sounds. "And then I came up with the idea of putting that concert chime triplet on the chorus of 'Solar System' bc it sounded celesssssstial!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »

Which contains the most amazing footage of Brian in the studio arranging "Mike Come Back To L.A."

Yeah.  Just wish the video wasn't so grainy.  After all these years, nobody has come up with a good clean copy of it.  Even the Great Hotel video from '91 is better quality.

MBE
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »

Both are good shows because they capture such an interesting period of transition for the group.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »

I used to have a copy of "Goin' Platinum", maybe I still have it. I enjoyed watching it, though I don't think you get too many infos on the working process of KTSA. 1980 was really an end to an era, they still tried back then and came out with at least a couple of good songs that emerged on LA and KTSA.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

Personal Massage anyone?
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Personal Massage anyone?

I'd love one. You offering or soliciting?  angel
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping to learn more aout this period of the group from two of these specials (It's OK and Going Platinum), but I've only found a little bit on youtube.  I'm just learning of Our Team (love this site), but would like to find out more.  A pm or maybe a B+P would be really nice.

Ooh, edit - From this time period I did enjoy this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb9vV-H9ec after stumbling across it last night.  Really nice job with the edit.  I especially like the sort of trippy effect from watching Dennis (who looks great here, by the way) during the extended drumming sequences.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:48:57 PM by Generation42 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »

Yeah, does anybody know the whereabouts of the "Our Team" special? I would love to see it. Anybody?? Especially "Mike Come Back to LA"!

That's something I've always wanted to see as well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »

Personal Massage anyone?

Whoa...Is that cool again? Then don't forget about me too...  Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »

My copy of "Our Team" is on an old VHS tape. I can barely sign on my computer much less figure out how to load that VHS tape on it. police
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

So I'll ask again just to make sure...no one actually has "Our Team" uploaded online, where I could possibly watch it, right?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:18 PM »

Personal Massage anyone?

I'd love one. You offering or soliciting?  angel

Both! But if I'm offering, it's gonna cost ya!

OSD has the best deal in town, I hear! 50% off if you'll wear a turban!

Speaking of "Going Platinum"! What's title in reference too, since KTSA certainly didn't go anywhere near platinum?

Come to think of it: I wonder just how many copies of something like Sunflower have been sold to date.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

Speaking of "Going Platinum"! What's title in reference too, since KTSA certainly didn't go anywhere near platinum?

Well, Bruce's solo album is "Goin' Public".....not sure....maybe he was pulling the strings on this one....

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »

Yeah, that part is great.  Grin But to me, the best part is the footage of Dennis dedicating You Are So Beautiful to the underprivileged children, and altering the lyric to "they are so beautiful to me".  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:14 AM »

Well, Bruce's solo album is "Goin' Public".....not sure....maybe he was pulling the strings on this one....

As far as I remember the host explains at the beginning that he intended to give the audience an insight to how to make a platinum album and the Beach Boys special was the first episode of that show.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

I've been looking for a copy this Going Platnum special for quite some time now....

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx